PDA

View Full Version : MSD 6AL and OE ignition...

rmicroys
01-28-2002, 06:14 PM
Anybody run an MSD 6AL? I am about to put an MSD 6AL on to my Jetta. Currently I'm using a 2.0l 8v cross-flow engine, mikuni PHH dual sidedraft carbs, and the basic OE ignition. When wiring up the MSD, they supply these little isolator blocks to mount on the the coil, to facilitate installation, also allowing the MSD to be removed by jumping across the isolator block in an emergency... I was wondering if anybody has a MSD installed and wired up the system so that the MSD can be removed from the ignition system by the flick of a switch. I'm thinking about using 4 30amp 5pin relays. so that, when normally open, and unpowered, the relays would bypass the MSD, and when powered, the relays would provide the appropriate electron path so that the MSD signals the coil for spark. Any suggestions?

apr67
03-14-2002, 11:42 PM
They make a swich for just this purpose, it has two coil inputs and one output.. Every WC car runs it.

But when it comes to the post 82 VW ignition, nothing improves upon stock, in my opinion. This is after tons of dyno runs trying everything in the jacobs and MSD product line up. If your igniton is running right the stock VW coil is good enough to weld with <G>.

Bill Miller
03-15-2002, 12:29 AM
The Bosch ignition is fantastic. Save the money and spend it on something else.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

rmicroys
03-19-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
The Bosch ignition is fantastic. Save the money and spend it on something else.

Thanks... not going to screw with the ignition...