PDA

View Full Version : racing oil pump

MiniStocker
03-15-2002, 01:00 AM
Hello, Here's what I've got. 1.8L 8v with 83mm Wiseco flat tops. .015" rise on the pistons above the deck. The head is an '83 Rabbit GTI big valve solid lifter head. The question is: What kind of oil pump should I be running? The motor is all together now except for the head and oil pump. Should I use a solid lifter early pump? Should I go with a 8v hydraulic head pump for extra volume? I don't want to over do it, but I also want the motor to last at least one season. I have a baffled pan and windage tray. The RPM range should be 7600-8200 RPM.
This is for oval track Mini-Stock racing.

Thank you very much for your efforts in replying. I know when I log on here, I'm talking with the best the VW crowd has to offer.

Scott

nascarvw
03-15-2002, 12:06 PM
I bought an oil pump from STU over at BSI RACING for like $60 or something, been using it for a couple of years, NO PROBLEMS.
Pretty sure it's a stock 8V oil pump.
SHADEK brand or something?
Hope this helps ya

Ryan Williams
03-15-2002, 02:32 PM
I believe I would use the stock VW oil pump for the '83 mechanical lifter head and block. Too much oil pressure can be just as bad as too little. I use a stock VW pump in my production car, turning up to 8000 rpm. When the engine is at operating temps, I see about 65 to 70 psi at 7000 rpm; thus the old general rule of 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

Be sure to pre-prime the oil system in the engine before starting it. I remove the distributor and use a small metric socket & speed handle to turn drive tang of the oil pump. Consequently the oil galleys are filled with pressurized oil. Also don't use a synthetic based oil during breakin of the engine as a synthetic does not seem to allow the rings to seat against the cylinder walls.

Regards, Ryan.

[This message has been edited by Ryan Williams (edited March 15, 2002).]

MiniStocker
03-15-2002, 03:23 PM
Thanks alot guys, I'll be getting a stock solid lifter pump this week.

Thanks again for the tips. I'm not a IT driver, but the tech here is just so much better than the "other sites".

Thanks for all your help...
Scott

mogren
03-18-2002, 12:43 AM
Stock pump, mobil one , Trap door pan and tray will live a season @ 7500. MM
Total seal rings help a ton also