PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Sample Acquisition

racer_tim
03-03-2002, 02:02 PM
Folks, just got back from my first pre-tech inspection for my annual, and watch out for GCR 17.4.2. I was able to fabricate one from another fuel distribution unit. I grabbed one of the larger "banjo" bolts from the rear of the spare unit, that had the 2nd fitting to the fuel regulator, and replaced the front end of the fuel filter with that bolt, then took a spare pressure regulator line, and attached that to the end of that fitting, then got a bolt, and with 2 ea of the brass washers, made a "plug" on the smaller end of the banjo fitting. I then attached this line via tie-wraps to the upper stress bar, so it's out of the way, but is easily accessable if/when needed. I'll post some pics if anyone is interested.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

mlytle
03-03-2002, 02:52 PM
or just order the whole deal from:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/sccafuelports.../homepage1.html (http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/sccafuelports/homepage1.html)

for less than $20 and don't worry about it any more. no affiliation with paul, just happy that he provided is providing us with a cheap and simple way to deal with this rule.

marshall

Bill Miller
03-03-2002, 09:18 PM
After looking at Paul's page, a thought occured to me. Is there any reason why we can't use the cold-start injector as the 'fuel sample port'?? Disconnect the CSI (two allen-head cap screws) and place the end into the sample bottle. Disconnect the coil wire. Crank the ignition until the desired amount of sample is collected. Replace the CSI when finished sampling and re-attach the coil wire. A manual override switch for the thermo time regulator may be required, I'm not sure.

Thoughts???

racer_tim
03-04-2002, 04:03 AM
Bill, I was told by the tech folks in the San Francisco Region, that the "hose" had to extend outside of the engine bay. In other words, the sample "bottle" would be outside of the car, and not in the engine compartment.

At least that was the way that it was explained to me, but as we know, every region's tech inspectors have their own "idea" of what the GCR actually means.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

Bill Miller
03-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Tim,

That's the first I've heard of a 'hose' requirment. But you're right, every region is different. Which presents a problem if you have a car that was approved in one region yet doesn't pass in another.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

nascarvw
03-05-2002, 12:07 PM
I know Stu over at BSI is fabricating these GIZMOS...
Works great, I think they run a little under $23.
AN fitting, banjo adapters, etc.

bdw73
03-07-2002, 02:57 PM
just ordered mine from BSI this morning, they do have them for both A1 and A2 cars in stock.
right around 20 bucks, under 25 to be shipped, not a bad deal really. Looks to be a easy fit, will find out in a few days

Barry
83 GTI ITB