PDA

View Full Version : Removing steering wheel lock

machschnell
02-14-2002, 04:12 PM
I was thinking about removing the steering wheel lock, and took a close look at the instructions in the Bentley, page 40something in the Electrical section. Basically, I'm interested b/c I would like to have the steering wheel not lock in place when the ignition isn't powered on - I think it's also recommended (required) in the GCR?

So the instructions make it seem like it's only for *removing* the lock cylinder. Doesn't seem to really imply that the steering lock will be removed. Is this really the only way to do it? Will the lock cylinder stay put after I drill the hole, etc?

Thanks,
PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

joeg
02-14-2002, 04:20 PM
Mach--You MUST remove the steering wheel lock.

Usually, the lock is a spring loaded hardened steel block or pin that engages slots in the column when the ignition key tumbler is in the lock position.

While you have to dissassemble things, you may not need to do extensive drilling to rid the car of the spring and the lock pin.

Hope others chime in here.

Regards.

tschwenke
02-14-2002, 06:08 PM
I don't know how far the archives go back, but if you seach on this I think you will find some answers - I think I replied to this question before.

BUT, if the rabbit is the same as a golf, there is a trap door that you have to open (after drilling the hole and pulling the cylinder out). I think one bang from the oppisite side got it out. Then the "lock" comes right out. There was some reason that I cut up a can (don't remember if it was beer or coke) and put the spring back in with the tin, making sure the spring didn't pop out. It would be easy to overcome, but I didn't want it to pop out and I think that it stayed so the lock would return properly.

This is one of those things that when you get the magic trap door open you will go, "oh, that's how its done" and you will forget it 10 minutes later or after your next beer.

And yes, when you put it back in it stays in, you must press at the hole again to get it to come out.