PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cell costs

RSTPerformance
01-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Anyone have an honest realistic price for a fuel cell and all the plumbing involved to install a fuel cell in a VW. As I understand you need the cell itself, 2 fuel pumps minimum preferably three (2 low pressure to a canister then 1 high pressure) then the plumbing, I have no idea what the cost of the plumbing would be I know I need a line to the injection system and then a return line and a vent hose from the tank. How should set it up and what are the realistic costs before I dive into this project.

Mark

Ryan Williams
01-14-2002, 02:26 AM
Mark, some parkball estimates as I can't remember the exact cost of my cell installation.

* Fuel cell install (did my own) about $300 for fuel cradle/firewall box
* Fuel cell $300 - 350
* Carter Low Pressure Pump $40 - 50
* Fran Fuel Filter $25 - 30
* VW CIS High Pressure Pump $160 to $180 (or use existing one in car)
* Fuel Reservior (make my custom one) if fab shop makes it, probably $100 to $125
* Aeroquip lines/fittings (supply/return lines) $250 to $300 (stuff is pricey & alot of fittings is required for all connections)

Think this about covers it...I don't want to know the total $$$; so I will let you add the numbers. Regards, Ryan.

Bill Miller
01-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Mark,

I'd say Ryan's figures are probably pretty close. Some things may be high, and some may be low (fuel cell is probably closer to $450 - $500 for an ATL or Fuel Safe). I would figure on at least $1000 to put one in, maybe $1200 - $1300.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

racer_tim
01-14-2002, 12:00 PM
I had McGee motorsports @ Sears Point install / plum my cell. $1,100 and they made a REALLY sweet cover. As soon as I take some pics, I'll post them. P.S. Used ALL of the stock plumbing / pumps for reliability. Yes, I know that I might not be able to get the last couple of gallons out of the cell, but......

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

Scirocco#28
01-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Is it absolutely neccessary to use a low pressure pump? I picked up a cell for a really good deal and was hoping to use just the stock pump. At present the cell just has a pick up hose in it along with a vent line and feed line. I know I'll have to plumb in a return line but do I really need a low pressure pump to make this work?

Steve

------------------
88 ITB Scirocco
www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

Bill Miller
01-14-2002, 11:27 PM
Steve,

You need some kind of fuel accumulator. Even the stock Rabbits have one. The problem is, it's not big enough and is not force-fed. This is why the cars have the starvation problem in hard r/h turns. If you do it right, you can use the existing plumbing, and just run the feed and return lines to the accumulator. Shouldn't cost that much extra to do the l/p pump and accumulator.

I've also heard that you can get the whole accumulator setup out of a Fox and it will work.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Ryan Williams
01-15-2002, 01:28 AM
Steve, I use a Carter Low Pressure pump to draw fuel from the cell as the VW CIS does not like to draw fuel as the pump is more of a "pusher" than a "sucker". In the early Rabbits, the VW CIS works well, without any assistance, due to gravity feed from the gas tank. With a fuel cell, the output is on top of the cell, and the CIS pump needs some help. Regards, Ryan.

Scirocco#28
01-15-2002, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the info.

Where is the best place to pick up a carter or similar l.p. pump?

I did plan on using the stock accumulator as well, is this an open rule WRT the fox accumulator?

Thanks

Steve

------------------
88 ITB Scirocco
www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

Bill Miller
01-15-2002, 10:07 PM
www.racerpartswholesale.com (http://www.racerpartswholesale.com)

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Vantage #51
01-17-2002, 12:16 AM
Diane at R&D perpormance can access [TRURO]
893 3795
Dino

Scirocco#28
01-17-2002, 07:31 AM
Ahh, even better, Thanks Derek.

Steve

------------------
88 ITB Scirocco