PDA

View Full Version : Fastrack air inlet change

Campbell
01-10-2002, 05:59 PM
I must admit I read the air inlet "clarification" a couple times in this months Sportscar and I'm not sure what is being said. For IT cars can we source the VW air box inlet to the front grille?

PRODBOY
01-11-2002, 09:26 AM
they way i look at............
As long as you use the stock radiator and it is on the same plane, and the inlet is inside the front grill, than it is inside the engine compartment, right? I talked to several Officials about this last year, and they all agreed with me. TO me these rules are not clearer than the old ones. Just my two cents

Josh

machschnell
01-11-2002, 09:54 AM
So the words 'source' and 'inlet' combined means we can run some sort of a hose to grab air from the front grill and send it directly to the airbox? That's what it said to me too.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Bill Miller
01-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Don't the later A1 GTI's have a hose that goes from the front of the car to the airbox? I have a couple of these cars, and they all have some kind of plumbing on them.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

machschnell
01-11-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Bill Miller:
Don't the later A1 GTI's have a hose that goes from the front of the car to the airbox? I have a couple of these cars, and they all have some kind of plumbing on them.

Of course, but if you could route a wider hose directly to the front grille, instead of behind the bodywork, you would get more air flow.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

PRODBOY
01-11-2002, 02:00 PM
bill,
the stock air intake goes through the frame on a rabbit gti this is supposedly a cold air source. Yes there is plumbing, but since it is ahead of the airmetering device whos to say you cant remove the plumbing and just run a hose to somewhere? as in response to ealier as per GCR this all is ok if you use the stock radiator, on the same plane, with no modification, as if that is hard....

josh

MoserRacing
01-11-2002, 06:17 PM
[quote]Originally posted by PRODBOY:
[B]bill,
....in response to ealier as per GCR this all is ok if you use the stock radiator, on the same plane, with no modification, as if that is hard....

I don't understand why you would have to use the stock radiator, when radiators are allowed to be changed? Are they essentially saying that to run a hose to the front grill, the radiator must be stock? That doesn't make sense to me, so they are saying you can do one or the other?
Can somebody clarify please?

[This message has been edited by MoserRacing (edited January 11, 2002).]