PDA

View Full Version : VW TRANSAXLE

PRODBOY
01-07-2002, 01:30 PM
IM BUILDING A PROD VW AND I WAS WONDERING IF THE GEARS FROM THE EARLY RABBIT 5 SPEEDS CAN BE INTERCHANGE WITH A RABBIT GTI GEAR BOX? AND CAN GEARS WITH IN A GEAR BOX BE MOVED TO DIFFERENT PLACES LIKE CAN A 3RD BE MOVE TO WHERE THE 2ND GEAR IS NOW. JUST SOME QUESTIONS PLEASE LET ME NOW.

JOSH

Bill Miller
01-07-2002, 09:46 PM
Pretty sure you can interchange gears from various boxes, but you can't 'move' them.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Eric Parham
01-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Yes and no, respectively. That is, it is possible to swap at least some gears (3rd, 4th and 5th, I believe) between wide and close 5-spd 8V 020 boxes of the same vintage (watch out for a late '83 changeover), but it is not as simple to change the positions of existing gears (has been done by one hillclimber I know, but required serious fabrication, welding, re-machining, etc. -- he said it still would have been cheaper to buy the custom gears). Look to the Bentley manuals for more specific details and/or see Dick at SRS (the best VW trans guru I know). Also, Brad at BMI-CAD used to have a very complete gear chart posted on the web (the culmination of a dozen or so Bentley manuals and some stuff that was missing from the manuals).