View Full Version : 80 rabbit for IT

12-19-2001, 02:36 AM
i have been reading the forum for a while and started to look into a ride for 2002. I have a line on a 1980 Rabbit that is a former rally and Solo car and need some help to determine where it would fit, I think ITB, and if it is close to a legal car as it sits. It is reasonably priced but if it would take too much to meet the rules I will keep looking for a better candidate. my plan is to find something that could be safe and competitive to take to a drivers school in the spring.
The stats as I know are as follows with some additional questions thrown in that ill help me in my decision. I know the rule book would tell me most of the answers but i don't have one available so I am looking to the forum for advice.
Car: 1980 Rabbit, 1.8 8v engine, GTI 5 speed with 3.94 gears and Quaife L.S., Bilstein shocks and struts (not coil overs),oil cooler,welded cage, 2 Corbeau seats, 5 point harnesses(outdated), engine fire system, 13x6 VW wheels, and assorted rally equipment. It also has had disc brakes added to the rear which I doubt are legal for this year but the original drums are available.
Questions; first I understand coil overs are the way to go but to start would a competition spring and the bilsteins work for the first season? If so what rates are reccommended.
Are camber plates a must have either way?
Is a fuel cell required?
Can the stock seat tracks be used and does the passenger seat have to be stock VW?
Lots of questions for the first time and I hope this is not too boring for the experienced racers but, there seems to be a lot of knowledge among the participants of this forum so I am sure the answers are here.

12-19-2001, 08:58 AM
First of all the car would be in ITC except for the fact that it has the 1.8 liter engine and GTI tranny. To make it legal for ITC you need the 1.6liter engine and you can only run a transmission that came in the 1980 or earlier rabbit. Check the cage you can only have six attachment points plus two going to the front firewall. I would recommend the coliovers and I would definatley get Camber plates, though they are not necessary as long as you don't mind using the camber adjustment at the bottom of the strut housing. If you have any other questions feel free to email me off line. I hope this helps. [email protected]

Sam Rolfe
TBR Motorsports
#85 VW Rabbit

12-19-2001, 11:19 AM
Assuming for now that you want this to be a legal IT car (probably a good idea!), your biggest problem might be reinforcement welding that most every rally gets at some point in its life - either before or after parts begin to fall off...

It is not going to be possible to "unweld" any additions to the chassis seams or suspension mounting points and, though reinforced suspension arms can be replaced, it is another cost that you will have to consider.

Look VERY closely to see if there is any welding other than stock-appearing spot welds, anywhere on the car. It would be a big bummer to get tossed out of a regional event your first year out there!

Have fun!


Bill Miller
12-19-2001, 01:10 PM
Sam's right, it would have to run as an ITC car if it runs at all. Any of the GTI stuff will have to go (1.8, close-ratio 5spd, vented front rotors, etc.). While the tubs may be essentially identical, you can't "create" a car, and you're required to have the VIN#. GTI's are '83-'84 only, not to mention that there's a number in the VIN that indicates that it's a 1.8 car.

Also, the pass. side, non-OEM seat will have to go as well. And no, the rear discs are not legal for IT.

As Kirk points out, I would think very hard about trying to convert an ex-rally car to IT. There's probably a lot of reinforcing that's been done that's not IT legal. So, since you haven't bought this car yet, I would suggest that you look for an IT car.

MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

12-22-2001, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the responses regarding the 80
Rabbit. Looks as it this not a likely cadidate for converting to IT. This type of help is what makes this site so valuable. Saved making a potential costly mistake. I will continue looking for something better suited as an entry level project. If anyone is aware of something available in the Southeast Michigan. northern Ohio, Indiana or
surounding areas please shoot it along. I prefer to stick with VW, currently autocrossing a Solo Vee, than go to one of those "H" models. Norm