PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie stuff

cfbjr
12-13-2001, 12:35 PM
Hi all,
I am totally new to IT and really to road racing for that matter. I have done some autocross but I want to make a switch to something more high speed and more like, well, racing! I don't have a huge budget and I really want to just do this for fun. I have read that IT is the way to go but now I need to know what would be the best way to go as far as a vehicle and class to run in. I have read that a Volkswagen Rabbit or GTI is a good way to go. Can you guys confirm this for me and give me some good recommendations as to what I should look for in purchasing a good candidate for racing? I am not a full-on mechanic or anything but I do have access to one(ASE certified) who is willing to help me. I am serious about having fun with this so I don't need to go crazy spending all kinds of money. It's going to cost me enough just paying reg fees! I live in CA so I will not have to worry too much about rust. I just don't know much about the whole lineup of vehicles from VW's and what some of the more subtle, possibly very important differences, are between years and models.

Thanks for any help!

Dead Skunk
12-13-2001, 02:45 PM
There are threads here on the build versus buy theories on procuring a race car. In either case get something popular to begin with. VWs and Hondas have lots of aftermarket stuff available and lots of people race either(just look at the number of posts for both).If you review everything on this sight you'll have a good idea where to start. Basics are :
1) buy a rulebook from SCCA
2) have more money than you think you need
3) consider renting a car for a few weekends
4) if 3) works then consider buying someone's car instead of building one yourself.
Welcome to racing!

ITBracer45
12-13-2001, 09:35 PM
Amen to Skunk's comments! and if I may add, if you are not a mechanic.....bess cozy up to one http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif This is no sport to participate in if you can't turn a wrench on your machine. No amount of prep before you leave will be enough, and as many can attest to, anything can happen! after a long drive to get to the track you don't want to have to put your sh*t on the trailer to take it home just after you get there. But you can buy a nice starter car, for around 5K+/-.

Best of luck,
Chris
ITb 54 GTi

Bill Miller
12-14-2001, 09:37 AM
I firmly believe in the saying that there's no such thing as too many spares. I learned this lesson the hard way a few years ago at Bridgehampton, when I had to put the car on the trailer and take it home after I broke a front inner tie rod during practice. Nobody had one, none of the parts shops in the are had one, yet I had a complete spare steering rack sitting in the garage 3.5 hours away.

Turns out that that was the last time I went to Bridgehampton before it closed (at the end of the season). I would have rather my last memory of the place been a little better.

Anyway, short of a spare motor, I take spares of just about everything else to the track. Extra tranny, complete extra suspension, steering rack, calipers, radiator, windshield, etc., etc. And, if you run a popular car like a VW, there's a good chance that if you don't need it, you may be able to help a fellow racer out w/ something they need. I've had people help me out w/ things that I didn't have, and I've helped people out w/ things they didn't have. Things from windshields to trannys to something as simple as a throttle cable or the shift linkage 'dog bones'.

My guideline is pretty much, if I've got it, I bring it, because I'll probably need it if I leave it at home.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI