PDA

View Full Version : Prep Shops

Steve-ITC#25
12-06-2001, 06:46 PM
I have a challenge that I could use input on...

I bought an ITC Rabbit a few years ago. Ran it a couple of times in 2000. Changes at work made finding time to maintain and prep the car nearly impossible, so I rented a few rides this season to maintain my license.

I was hoping next season (2002) would be different, but 3 rounds of layoffs and a complete department re-org in the last four months tells me that it'll probably be worse rather than better.

Here's the dilemma...I don't want to take a year off, and don't want to rent again, so I need to find a prep shop to maintain the car.
Any suggestions?

ITB#32VWGTi
12-06-2001, 07:06 PM
First,I think you need to indicate what part of the counrty you race in?
Next, tell us what level of assistance you are looking for.
And lastly, what is your goal for 2002, win every race you are in?, or race at least 2 races within 12 months to maintain your comp license?
If you are only trying to maintain your comp lic, and you are running a VW, these cars are very dependable.
I actually don't have to do much to my car before each race.
I have a check list and go thru the car, but if I only wanted to 2 races in 12 months, I could do very little to the car, load it up,go out play, and park it.

ron vaughn
ITB #32
83 VW GTI
SWDIV

Rick
12-07-2001, 09:47 AM
Steve, your profile says you're from NY, I run a prep shop in northwestern CT and could help you out. we do prep and fabrication and can also provide trackside service and arrive and drive programs. E-mail me at [email protected] or 860-693-0635
Rick @ Northern Fabrication

itbgti
12-07-2001, 11:10 AM
Shine Racing Service (www.srsvw.com) 1-508-660-7974 located in Walpole, MA is an EXCELLENT prep/track side service/general repair/wealth of knowledge shop with years of experience. I recomend their services 100%.

Alan

Steve-ITC#25
12-07-2001, 02:13 PM
Ron:

Thanks for responding.

I'm in the Northeast. And the goal for 2002 is to run competitively in the 4 to 6 races that I plan to enter. (just running around at the back of the pack and maintaining my license was the last VW I owned, this one should contend for the podium).

I've looked at the race schedule for next season and because of business commitments, would prefer an "arrive and drive" service level. Before the season begins, however, I need someone to go through the car and get it ready. It's got all the right equipment, but has been sitting for about 18 months. So it needs a little attention. Additionally, I want to swap out transmissions (get rid of the welded diff to increase reliability).

Steve

Steve-ITC#25
12-07-2001, 02:15 PM
Alan:

I've talked to the guys at Shine, but was wondering whether there are other options in the NorthEast.

Steve

racer_tim
12-08-2001, 12:02 AM
Steve, what's unreliable with a welded front diff? I know that we just had this thread, so I won't beat a dead horse, but a welded diff is VERY reliable. Less moving parts. Yea, you might go through 1/2 shafts a little sooner, but you'll go through bearings and front hubs with anyway.

I'll buy your locker. What R&P is it?

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

Scirocco#28
12-08-2001, 01:19 AM
I ran my welded diff last season with very few parts replaced. The only real difference was the pattern of wear on my tires. I repacked my joints for every weekend and only lost one outer when I turned too tight after a race going to park it http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif I'm definitly using it next season, though and I'd probably buy a quaife for my street car before getting one for my race car.

Steve

------------------
88 ITB Scirocco
www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)