PDA

View Full Version : Extra wiring

Ralf
12-02-2001, 09:21 PM
The discussions about modifying wiring harnesses has been brought up in the past, but now that I'm actually prepping the car, I have a few questions.
My car is equipped with power windows, door locks and mirrors. Can I change to non power equipment and then get rid of the wiring harnesses for those items, or are all Golfs equally equipped regarding wiring harnesses? In other words, did the plain Golfs have the wiring installed even though they didn't have power windows, mirrors and door locks?
The car is a 87 Golf GT.
Thanks
Ralf

racer_tim
12-02-2001, 10:00 PM
Ralf, what are you trying to accomplish? Weight reduction? Trouble shooting simplicity? Why bother? I don't trust anything I can't see, but that's my $0.02 worth. That's also why the VW is so simple when it comes to the electronics side of the house. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 ITB GTI, GP for 2002

Ralf
12-02-2001, 11:27 PM
Weight reduction and cleaning it up a bit. The wiring harness that goes to the power windows and door locks currently is about 10 feet long that just runs along the floor board, under the seat and over to the passengers side. I also have the vacume pump in the rear hatch area that also has tubing running inside the car for the actuators. The car weighed in at 2480 at one of the track events I went to. That's in street trim, without a cage and a 210 pound driver. Its easier to take the weight out of the car then the driver. :-)
Ralf

RGile
12-07-2001, 02:30 AM
Until your within a half second of the track record don't worry about anything else as far as wieght is concerned.