PDA

View Full Version : Brake cooling

bdw73
12-02-2001, 11:24 AM
Quick question, Is it worth taking the time to run some ducts at the front of the car to help with this? or do A1 VW's not have brake heat problems? next year will be my first year running a A1 GTI in ITB so trying to see what all I need to do this winter.
I have some 3 inch ducting laying around was going to use if it was necessary.
thanks

Bill Miller
12-02-2001, 12:08 PM
I use Hawk Blue pads and ATE Super Blue Racing fluid in my car, and I have had no problem w/ brake fade or fluid boiling and I don't run any ducts. I run most of my races at Summit Point in WVa. It has 2 very heavy braking areas, at the end of the front straight, and going down the hill through "The Chute", going into Turn 5. Both require braking from ~110mph down to ~50mph.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Dick G
12-02-2001, 01:53 PM
You can't have too much brake cooling.check out this cooling setup http://loopracing.com/nut_and_bolts.htm

bdw73
12-02-2001, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the replies, i will be running at Mid Ohio and Nelson mainly next year, so was unsure what others were doing, that and I have some ducting laying around collecting dust, so wasnt sure if it was worth the time to try to fabricate something for this.

SamITC85
12-02-2001, 03:15 PM
Just becareful when making the ducts. On the first car i drove the previous owners had them on the car and their first version of the ducts mostly cooled the inside of the rotro and they started having warping issuses. So they fabricated ones that cooled both sides equally and it worked much better, no more warped rotors. Just my .02 cents to add to this topic

------------------
Sam Rolfe
TBR Motorsports
#85 VW Rabbit

Spiro13
12-03-2001, 08:35 PM
Sam

How did you cool both sides of the rotor? I have been trying to make a cool can but have had no luck. I am now running the hose to the caliper.

------------------
Tony
ITC #0

SamITC85
12-04-2001, 06:51 PM
Tony,
Steve McNary made up a vent that wnet around both sides of the rotor and fit between the edge of the rotor and the wheel. Then we ran a 3" hose from the front of the car to the back end of the vent. It is really hard to explain. I don't run them anymore, but I still have them maybe I can get a degital picture or two of them and post them here. It is a pretty intersting set-up the only problem was when you changed brakes it was a pain, not that we did that alot.

------------------
Sam Rolfe
TBR Motorsports
#85 VW Rabbit