PDA

View Full Version : White Vapor Thru Ducts

twist
11-22-2001, 10:31 PM
New to this site, this is a question for my 86 GTI 8v, a new car to me that I am getting in shape for the street while I shop around for a built ITC or B car to go racing. Anyway, the car has sat for awhile and when I run it a white vapor comes thru the heat/AC vents into the interior, no distinct smell, anti-freeze or freon. Any thoughts???? much appreciated.

racer_tim
11-26-2001, 09:00 PM
If you turn on the Defroster, does the windshield steam up? That happened to me with the heater core went. Just yanked it out last weekend to convert the GTI to GP.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region
#95 ITB GTI

twist
11-27-2001, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by racer_tim:
If you turn on the Defroster, does the windshield steam up? That happened to me with the heater core went. Just yanked it out last weekend to convert the GTI to GP.

I was afraid it might be the heater core, anyway to test this?? I hate to give up heat and defrost in November. Thanks

racer_tim
11-27-2001, 12:17 PM
Check the carpet around the clam-shell. If it's wet, then you know that the heater core is leaking.

Tim

Skinsfan
12-01-2001, 07:30 PM
There is a recall on the heater core of your car. If you email me your vin number i can find out if the recall is due on your vehicle. Or you can call any VW dealer with the vin and they can run a VISS on the car. You might be able to get a new one for free.

Bill Miller
12-02-2001, 10:29 AM
Seems VW had some major heater core problems. I know all the VR6 Corrados were recalled for them. I had mine let go on me sitting at a light in traffic in August. All of a sudden, the whole front of the car filled up w/ steam, and the guy next to me said there was water all over the ground coming from under my car. Pretty catastrophic failure.

Check for the moisture, although, if you're not smelling coolant (doesn't take much), it's probably not the heater core.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI