PDA

View Full Version : help, anti freeze leak

bdw73
11-12-2001, 05:31 PM
Need some help on this one, was doing some pre winter work on my 83 Rabbit GTI and I noticed I had a anti freeze leak.
The problem is it seems to be coming from the bell housing right at the engine, from the inside??
Anyone seen this before or any clues as to what to look for?

Barry Wills
83 GTI ITB

machschnell
11-15-2001, 05:56 PM
the coolant lines that come from the drivers side of the head, that feed the heater core and thermotime switch were really corroded on my car. I cleaned up the metal outlets and replaced the hoses. That area is right above where you seemed to be describing - couldnt quite tell by your description.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

Scirocco#28
11-15-2001, 10:10 PM
Get your hands on a pressure tester and that should give you a good idea of where your leak is coming from.

Steve

------------------
88 ITB Scirocco
www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

bdw73
11-16-2001, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the help, ended up being one of the lines leading to the heatercore, had a small pin hole in it, when I started checking connections and tightening clamps, it opened up the hole and made it a lot easier, not mention a huge sigh of relief for me as well

thanks

Barry
83 GTI ITB

Ryan Williams
11-16-2001, 10:37 AM
When I was running ITC, I capped the heater core lines at the engine. I think this mod is still in the IT rules. Why? As our VWs get older, the heater core is prone to leakage. You might consider this. Regards, Ryan.