PDA

View Full Version : ITB Golf - power or manual steering rack?

garner
09-28-2001, 02:42 PM
I need to replace my rack as part of the buildup of my car - any opinions on the subject?

machschnell
09-28-2001, 03:01 PM
not alot of fun. make sure you center the rack before you hook it up and align, unless someone else will. replace rack boots, and tie rods and ends obviously. toughest part is removal and replacement. I had to remove the shift linkage, and realigning it is tough when you're on your back.

PJ

------------------
83 Rabbit GTI - future ITB

garner
09-28-2001, 10:13 PM
Let me clarify my question. I plan on replacing my steering rack with a new unit upon reassembly, and am interested in hearing the opinions of the brain trust (OK, I'm giving you guys a LOT of leeway using that description http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif ) on whether I should go with a manual rack or power.

Anyway, this whole process has been nothing but fun so far. Or not. Right now the car is best described as a "non-rolling shell". _Everything_ has been stripped off except for some of the glass, and I can't imagine that putting her back together with mostly clean, new parts could possibly be any worse than taking off all of the worn out, stripped, greasy and leaking parts was. Although it will certainly be more time consuming in some respects.

Thanks,
Mike

[This message has been edited by garner (edited September 28, 2001).]

Scirocco#28
09-29-2001, 12:22 AM
Ah you're just about to the fun part then. Just wait till you fire it up. You'll forget about all the bad. I thought about putting a power rack in my scirocco because of my welded diff. I decided against it for a couple of reasons. I don't think I've ever driven a VW w/ power steering at speed where I really liked the weight (or lack of it), and I wasn't sure if the extra resistance in my steering could lead to a possible weak point under my hood. And you would have slightly more drag on your motor, which really can't be considered a power house to start with. Its worth trying though if you have the time to put it together and see if you like it.

Steve

------------------
88 ITB Scirocco
www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

garner
09-29-2001, 12:47 AM
I'm getting closer anyway, Steve. My cagebuilder isn't able to get me in until after the AARC, so I do have some waiting to do yet... but I'm starting to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm leaning toward a manual rack for the feel, simplicity, and low cost, but wanted to hear opinions in case you guys know something that I don't...

Mike
getting excited and draining bank accounts

Bill Miller
09-29-2001, 07:07 AM
The only possible reason for going w/ a power rack that I could see was if you're going to run a welded diff. Several people that run them talk about the increased steering effort. However, I don't even know if I'd go w/ a power rack in this case. You really don't want to add anything else that's going to suck power away from the motor (as there's not all that much there to begin with!).

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

racer_tim
09-29-2001, 06:08 PM
When your driving on track with a welded diff, there isn't alot of difference, it's driving aroundthe paddock, and attempting to make the 90 degree turn into your paddock space that is the tough part with the locked front diff.

jhigh
10-01-2001, 06:47 PM
Mike,

Given the choice, I would not opt for the power rack. With some cars, like the 16v Golf, you don't have a choice. Whichever rack you choose, presumably it will go in before the engine.

I've run a welded diff in a Rabbit for 5 seasons and see no need for power assist. At speed, the steering is not heavy, although you do get more torque steer in throttle transitions. Around the paddock you want to feel the resistance so you don't overturn the wheel and break your CV joints. That 90 degree paddock turn that racer-tim mentioned is usually done in three incremental turns unless both front wheels are on the grass.

Joel

dave parker
11-06-2001, 07:26 PM
in our 85 golf gti my wife and me run manual steering with a welded diff. no big deal and no need for power steering. even when terri drives. i have driven a 85 golf cup car converted to itb with power steering and could not see the need. the builders mindset there was the car was used to compete in the 12 hours at the point (summit point raceway) and he did not want his drivers to become fatigued. absolutely no need for power steering in a small bore it car.