PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Scirocco "HT"

Eric Parham
10-23-2001, 01:59 PM
Well, having JUST installed my first pro-built engine (last night, no less), I learned today (on excellent authority) that it will be outlawed on Dec 1st, apparently due to insufficient sales of "HT" equipped Sciroccos in the U.S.

Next month's Fastrack TB01-12 will read:

"ITB

1. Volkswagen Scirocco II 8V (83-88), p.42, correct "Comp. Ratio" by
deleting the "HT" comp. ratio that was listed in TB01-07. Correct "Notes"
by deleting the allowance to use the 1988 HT engine with hydraulic tappets."

Clear enough? I read this to eliminate the 10:1 C.R. "HT" AFTER the ARRC. The fate of the hydraulic head is less clear, as, according to the Bentley, it was also available on late "JH" engines (as an aside, I had once referred to such an 8.5:1 hydraulic configuration as a "Frankenmotor", but I will now eat my words since it clearly appears on at least page 3-23, Table F, of the Scirocco Bentley Manual).

Needed ASAP: 0.040 over 8.5:1 pistons.

TIA,
Eric

Bill Miller
10-23-2001, 03:30 PM
Eric,

If the "insufficient sales" thing is the reason that is given, that's pretty chicken-shit in my book. On the upside, it should still be legal for the ARRC. I have no idea about a JH motor ever coming w/ a hydraulic head. But how'd you like to build an A2 Jetta GLI and have to put an 8.5:1 motor in it because the spec line doesn't include the 10:1 motor? Or have to run only 14" wheels because the spec line doesn't include 13" ones? Or having to run drum brakes in the rear? Yet the Golf line lets all the models of A2 Golf run the 10:1 motor, run rear drums or disc, and lets them pick between 13" and 14" wheels.

And, if an '88 Scirocco came w/ an HT motor, and it's lited on the build sheet for the car, isn't backdating to a JH motor 'creating a car'????

I see it as a 'legal' loophole, similar to the 1600 cars getting to run a G-grind cam. If they don't want to let this motor in all the Sciroccos, they should create a seperate spec line for the '88 cars.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

Scirocco#28
10-23-2001, 06:37 PM
Grrr...

I think they got scared of the car's potential???

Bill, I pulled a JH w/ a hydraulic head out of a scirocco last year so there's verification. But it was a canadian one so who knows.

Well I sure hope there is an HT equipped Scirocco at the ARRC to kick some butt. Eric, are you going?

Steve

------------------
88 ITB Scirocco
www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing (http://www.geocities.com/highspeedconnectionracing)

Eric Parham
10-24-2001, 09:45 AM
I'd like to go to the ARRC. I'm uncertain whether I'll actually get the chance since I'm starting a new job next week...