PDA

View Full Version : Question on Fuel Injection

Dave V
09-28-2001, 02:03 PM
The ITC car ('77 Rabbit) that I bought, was at some point in its life, converted from fuel injection to a carburetor. I would like to return it to fuel injection. Because all the fuel injection parts are gone, I feel the lest expensive way to get the parts is to buy a parts car. My question is, are all A1 fuel injection systems the same, or is there a specific year that I must use? Would a system from a GTI be legal (I would like to get a close ratio gearbox also)?

Bill Miller
09-28-2001, 04:18 PM
Dave,

I'm not sure about the older Rabbits, and what will interchange w/ what. What I can tell you is that you won't be able to use the GTI FI setup as it has a larger throttle body. You also won't be able to use the GTI gearbox. You will have to use either the 4-speed or the 5-speed w/ the 0.76 5th gear.

HTH

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

racerdrew43
09-28-2001, 09:09 PM
Dave,
A 77 rabbit is a wonderful thing (round headlights)- Sorry, Bill is right, the close ratio gearbox is a no -no, but you can use the fuel injection. I believe the 83 - 84 GTI have the same small throttle body, but the golf GTI throttle bodies are bigger. I'm sure there are some exceptions. In general, the fuel injection parts for that car are easy to get. The 76,77 and 80 car are all legal and many of the other rabbit/jetta years will work. Be careful when you switch back
the fuel pressure will need to increase and you may find your accumulator is missing in the car. If you need parts, you could call D & D Auto repair 870-289-7471. they ususally have good used parts you could buy at reasonable prices and they will know what the correct pieces are for that car.
Again, congratulations on the car

Bill Miller
09-29-2001, 07:03 AM
I'm not sure if the TB's are the same size or not. If they are, the older Rabbits have some kind of restrictor in the bores.

Drew, good catch on the fuel pressure! Dave, don't forget that you'll have to run a fuel return line back to the tank if that's gone.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI

QB
10-02-2001, 10:40 AM
I don't think the older cars used an O2 sensor. Can he "update" to system that uses one? That would be my only concern.

------------------
Rory

ITB Rabbit

Yeeles
10-13-2001, 03:12 AM
[quote]Originally posted by racerdrew43:
[B]Dave,
The 76,77 and 80 car are all legal and many of the other rabbit/jetta years will work.

76 rabbits were carburated.

Peter