PDA

View Full Version : A2 AC removal Q

garner
10-04-2001, 02:57 PM
Fully accepting the risk that some may well seee this as a "stupid question", but I'll be damned if I can find the answer.

For the A2 GTI, when removing the AC compressor, is there an alternator pully with less offset available or do I need to procure a complete alternator from a non-AC A2? Also, is there alternate (ie lighter) alternator bracketry on the non AC cars?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
ITB GTI well underway

garner
10-04-2001, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by garner:
I fully accept the risk that some may well see this as a "stupid question", but I'll be damned if I can find the answer.

For the A2 GTI, when removing the AC compressor, is there an alternator pully with less offset available or do I need to procure a complete alternator from a non-AC A2? Also, is there alternate (ie lighter) alternator bracketry on the non AC cars?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
ITB GTI well underway

itbgti
10-04-2001, 03:35 PM
Mike,

There are alternate pullies (pullys??) I do not know part numbers, I can check my service manual when I get to the shop, but the easiest way is to go and search the junk yards. If you have trouble locating one, let me know, or post it here.

Why do you want a lighter one??? Is it for fitting purposes or weight?? If it is for fitting purposes, I believe there are a couple of variations depending on the model/year (i have currently three golfs down the shop I can check out tonight) If you REALLY want to save that much weight, you may want to wait on that because after completion of my car with a BIG OL' CAGE in it, I am right at legal weight with an almost full tank of fuel (stock fuel tank).

If you have any questions (I built my first A2 racecar this past winter, and have to rebuild it again, see earlier post, this coming winter) please let me know

Alan
[email protected]

garner
10-04-2001, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by itbgti:
There are alternate pullies (pullys??) I do not know part numbers, I can check my service manual when I get to the shop, but the easiest way is to go and search the junk yards.

Thanks Alan. So far, I have not been able to locate a non-A/C A2 in the yards here. I don't want to purchase another complete alternator if I don't absolutely need to - I have 3 good ones already. Was this alternate pulley used on any other platforms that you know of?

Why do you want a lighter one??? Is it for fitting purposes or weight?? If it is for fitting purposes, I believe there are a couple of variations depending on the model/year (i have currently three golfs down the shop I can check out tonight)

Primarily, I'm looking for a "cleaner" bracket for the alternator only since my car also originally had power steering (which is also gone). No big deal, just curious really. I'm already planning on having to ad ballast to make minimum, so saving weight here really isn't a concern.

Thanks for the help,
Mike

Richy Gonzalez
10-04-2001, 06:38 PM
garner,
I believe www.eurosportacc.com (http://www.eurosportacc.com) has a ac removal altenator bracket (picks up the slack) for A2s. Check them out.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
ITA 89 CRX (http://communities.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw) - 2002 Season

Ralf
10-04-2001, 08:38 PM
When I removed my A/C compressor I ordered what I thought was the non-A/C altenator pully. When it came in, it was identical to the one I had. I ended up ordering the crankshaft and water pump pulleys and everything lined up again. If I remember correctly, they were less than $50 from the dealer.
Ralf

garner
10-04-2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Richy Gonzalez:
garner,
I believe www.eurosportacc.com (http://www.eurosportacc.com) has a ac removal altenator bracket (picks up the slack) for A2s. Check them out.

Richy,

Thanks... perhaps I'll call them tomorrow - it's not something that they have listed in their catalog, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have it/know what I need.

Mike

garner
10-04-2001, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Ralf:
When I removed my A/C compressor I ordered what I thought was the non-A/C altenator pully. When it came in, it was identical to the one I had. I ended up ordering the crankshaft and water pump pulleys and everything lined up again. If I remember correctly, they were less than $50 from the dealer.
Ralf

Thanks Ralf... that's good info.

Mike
playing "catch up" on AC removal