PDA

View Full Version : g2x and DL1

Ron Earp
07-16-2005, 06:14 AM
I think I am down to these two data systems. I was thinking the Traqmate would be a good one but after messing with the software for half and hour I'm not so sure anymore. Anyone have pros and cons of each from a useage standpoint? Thanks,

Ron

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

jlucas
07-16-2005, 07:10 AM
I have both units for about another week, so if there is a specific question, let me know. Some of these get pretty nit picky as the units are both good pieces. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

G2X
+ display that functions as a lap timer without a beacon (via GPS), and does speed, RPM, shift lights, and gear indicator
+ CF memory
+ robust software, shared with Racepak's more expensive products (very prevalent in NASCAR and drag racing)
+ lots of pro type features in the software like: storing track setups for easy recall at next visit, car setup information, weather station input, stored configuration settings, structure for storing run files
- 50% larger than DL1
- more initial software setup
- each input is a seperate cable
- not many built in inputs
- display cannot not do segment times
= display not required to log data
= structured window setup in software
= add on inputs via Racepak VNet ($$)
= slight hum from some displays (internal power supply)
= top side CF card removal
= $900

DL1
+ smaller than G2X
+ extra inputs (6 + individual wheel speeds)
+ CF memory
+ more intuitive software (v5) with better autoscaling
+ inputs are on 2 screw terminal connector blocks (easy car swapping)
+ video sync capability (additional cost)
- no standard display
- track set up each time you load raw data in v5 (~10 seconds)
- not as polished in the software look & feel
- you make your own data storage folders
= more freeform window set up in software
= add on display: can display any input; in addition to the G2X display features it can also do segment times & splits ($$)
= front side CF card removal
= comes with carry case
= $950 - exchange rate dependant (UK)
= software update (v6) in BETA now

I got a DL1 this time around, but part of that was based on the need to be able to easily swap between cars and that we already had lap timers installed. I also got comfortable with the DL1 software quicker. I can see buying either one and recommend them both.

------------------
Jeremy Lucas
Team Honda Research
Kumho - Koni - Cobalt - Comptech

Ron Earp
07-16-2005, 08:28 AM
One thing I would like is a lap timer - how much is it on the DL1? I've been to the site but did not see it.

Some have said don't use one, but I wish to have it because I really think it would help with various lines through corners. If it is a test day, and you are basically alone as typical (within reason) you can lap and modify one corner and see the effects - sure, it isn't perfect but better than nothing.

I really hate coming in after doing 8 laps or so and trying to figure out what worked and what didn't. Plus, without data logging all you get from T&S is "Best Lap # and Time" - you really don't have any idea how that happened a lot of times.

Ron

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

jlucas
07-16-2005, 09:39 AM
The DASH1 is the add on display. It does a whole lot more than a lap/segment timer and unfortunatley is a pricey add on. However it is similar to the cost of adding a couple of inputs via Vnet to the G2X.

If display is your priority and you don't plan on adding more inputs, than I'd say it's G2X for you. Just keep in mind that the display is pretty basic.

Ron Earp
07-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Might be a good choice - I'm running and dealing with carbed cars (JH, TR8, and 260Z) and don't plan on putting wheel sensors or other sorts of things on these cars to work with it.

I'd like to get one before Road Atlanta next weekend so that we can learn to use it while I'm just crewing. Just need to scrape up the cash and see if they can send one to me before then!

R

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

jlucas
07-16-2005, 05:01 PM
You might be SOL as I believe they are still filling back orders but call and find out for sure.

One other note is that with either setup when you are using the dash, you have to be able to reach the button on the dash to indicate start finish point, so keep that in mind when thinking of where to place your dash.

mowog
07-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Does the G2X have inputs available for a wideband O2? I'm only familiar with the DL1, added the wideband to it. It's very useful for tuning, you can see your A/F every where, every lap. Check with Al Seim for pricing and availability on both the DL1 and wideband. 804 358-7289

I use the Hot Lap setup, so didn't need the dash display. Your mileage may vary...

jlucas
07-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by mowog:
Does the G2X have inputs available for a wideband O2?
Check with Al Seim for pricing and availability on both the DL1 and wideband. 804 358-7289

I think it does through Vnet. Vnet is an expensive addition that they currently aren't providing too many details about how it is going to interact with the G2X, just that it will be able to.

Al is your man in the US for a DL1 (Action Digital). He has been very helpful, as has Tim at Racepak.

Ron Earp
07-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Both of those look good and have good capability. I don't have a in car display and want one though, that is one area that the DL-1 falls short and should correct - just about all the other include that in the basic package.

The wide band idea into the unit is a good one, but I've already installed a seperate in dash display for that. That is not good on the backlog for orders though, I'll call and talk to both companies this week and see what they both say.

Ron

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

Al Seim
07-17-2005, 09:32 PM
We have the DL1 in stock in Richmond VA, $949 + free shipping to anywhere in the continental US. Hey, we're SCCA racers and even sponsors of this forum!

I'm happy to answer any inquiries by email or phone.

Also, I'm currently beta testing the V6 software. It's much more powerful that V5, addresses most of my own requests, and specific to Jeremy's analysis does allow the saving and retrieving of track setups (ie markers). The main imrovement is a much more powerful graphing section as well as being able to set up and retrive your favorite set of data views.

Have Fun,

Al Seim
www.actdigital.com (http://www.actdigital.com)
Action Digital Race Data Systems
804 358-7289

jlucas
07-23-2005, 09:02 AM
additional discussion & pictures:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=307682

BTW, both companies are aware of my comparision and I've made suggestions to both of them for improvements.
I agree with Al. v6 of the DL1 software is great. I've given lots of suggestions to RT and they've incorporated all of them!! I've also given suggestions to Racepak.

------------------
Jeremy Lucas
Team Honda Research
Kumho - Koni - Cobalt - Comptech