PDA

View Full Version : SIMs?

lateapex911
11-18-2004, 09:55 PM
OK, the winter is almost here, and another year went by without me doing enough driver development.

Part of the plan fro next year is to venture out to some new tracks...

So...who has the best system for learning the tracks we run in cars like we drive?

I'm thinking that i would love to see a system with Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Road Atlanta, VIR, Summit Point, and Mid Ohio .

X-box? Sony? Nobody?

Thoughts?

(I have SGCT, which I used for Road Atlanta...but it seems that they drew a different Road Atlanta than really exists..it has taken me a year to "reprogram" myself to turn right at 3, as it was completely missing on the SCGT version..)!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Hotshoe
11-18-2004, 11:59 PM
Jake:

....If you like I can send you a VHS Tape of Atlanta and VIR. My incar camera has full view of the gauges, steering wheel, and (get this) a brake light. I installed a small one next to the tach so I could tell if I was "RIDING" the brakes.
....I have a few friends (No comments, I know it's hard to believe) that have sent me tapes of tracks and boy did it help.
....We could start a "swap meet" type deal. You can send me yours. And I'll send you mine. Since we are in different divisions no secrets would be lost. It would be entertaining to say the least.
....All we would need to do is post what we are looking for. And then post what we have to offer. There have been a few times I wished something like this existed.
....You have the character to pull this off..

....Should be fun....

CaptainWho
11-19-2004, 10:26 PM
"Le Mans 2000" for PlayStation 2 has a good Road Atlanta.

"Total Immersion Racing" for PlayStation 2 or PC (maybe Xbox, too) is good but doesn't have any tracks relevant to the amateur, IIRC.

------------------
Doug "Lefty" Franklin
NutDriver Racing (http://www.nutdriver.org)

JeffYoung
11-19-2004, 10:35 PM
The best sim out there is Grand Prix Legends. People have made tracks for most stuff on the east coast - Roebling, Daytona, WGI, etc.

Rick, I'm with you on the videos. I have Barber, CMP, Roebling and VIR in a slow ITS car...lol.....if anyone is interested, more than happy to give you a copy.

lateapex911
11-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Rick, that IS a cool idea...kinda like a tape trading music deal...I'll take you up on your Atlanta tape...what track do you want in return? I probably have WGI, NHIS, and LRP...any/all of those of interest to you?

Let me thik about this for a bit..I bet there is a really simple solution...

So Jeff...what does Grand Prix run on??

And these "people"..who are they? Are the tracks accurate???

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gran racing
11-20-2004, 11:46 AM
I'd love to get some tapes as well. I use video quite a bit to see what I've done and where I can improve. Unfortunately video doesn't lie. (Oh yeah, I got to the very edge on each lap. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif )

I have some very good video footage from Lime Rock Park. Pretty decent footage from Watkins Glen.

Love to see Road Atlanta, Summit (although I've been there, still would be cool) and VIR. Maybe BeaveRun too.

Jake - give some serious thought of going to the MARRS double down at Summit next year. It is a great weekend! (I'd be interested in getting the NHIS video from you.)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Hotshoe
11-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Hey Everybody,

.. Glad to see that the Idea can work. I'm going to talk to Santa and see if I can get a CD Burner for Christmas. I think that would be easier to send than VHS Tapes.

....I have:

....1. Road Atlanta

....2. Virginia International Raceway

....3. Carolina Motorsports Park

....4. Charlotte Motor Speedway (Lowes)

....5. Roebling Road

....6. Homestead

.. I have the equipment to do VHS but I can copy CDs quicker. All I need is a way to transfer my tapes over.

.. So as soon as I can get set up to do CDs I'll be ready. I already see some places that others have listed (even if it is in a slooooooooow ITS car.... LOL) that I would like to see.

.. I know this will be a lot more Give than take in some cases but, I myself do not mind. If I can send CD's then it will make it easier to copy and mail.

.. This looks like fun .. I know a couple of my races are pretty funny.

. Rick Thompson # 99 IT7

Eagle7
11-22-2004, 10:04 PM
If you've been REALLY good, maybe Santa would upgrade you to a DVD burner. Better quality video, more capacity, and more compatible with DVD players. They'll generally burn CD's too.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

JeffYoung
11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Jake, sorry,lost track of this thread.

Grand Prix Legends was put out by Papyrus in 1998 or 1999 and STILl (I am not lying) has the best physics model for racing I've seen. The cars "feel" more like a real race car than anything else on the computer.

The sim models the 1968 (or 67, I can't remember) Formula One season -- Ferraris, Loti, Eagles, BRMs, Hondas, Coopers, etc. Great stuff. Power slides, drifts, independent suspensions you can watch work.

It is available on line for $20 or so. Lots of hacks at Blackpool racing or Eagle Woman racing, still a very, very active community. Watch some of the in car movies. Absolutely unbelievable stuff.

I've seen tracks for VIR, Roebling and a "corrected" WGI (they have the old pre-chicane one modeled). I'm sure there are others.

And hey, I just figured out how to "make" race video from my camcorder, so now I can send you some VIR footage.

Jeff

Bill Miller
11-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Jeff, do you think GPL is better than the Gran Tourismo games (especially the GTIII) for physics?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

lateapex911
11-23-2004, 12:20 AM
yes, from my research, the Legends seems to have a following...and they say that there are alternate cars and tracks that have been hacked.

I have SGT...not impressed...the track was WRONG! What kind of help is that? You'd thinbk my competitors wrote it....snickering all the way! For a year at Atlanta I drove right by turn 3!!! Grrrrr...

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

JeffYoung
11-23-2004, 01:11 AM
I do Bill, although I admittedly don't have more than a smidgen of experience with the Gran Tourismo experience.

I was going to start my rave here about GPL on the adjustability, etc. (you can even change the number of clutch packs in the diff!), but I'm just going to leave it at this: other than the fact that your butt isn't connected to the car, it FEELS like racing.

The cars are overpowered and undertired, and move around a lot. A WHOLE lot. This feels like racing to me, not the super grip super grip super grip SLIDE of the decent road racing sims out there now.

I still feel like most of those games are eye candy first, racing physics second. The GPL designers focused on physics first, immersion second (the sounds are amazing) and good (even to this day) third.

Try GPL. As a racer, I think you will find it incredibly challenging and the closet thing to "real" road racing out there, even though the cars are different beasts.

P.S. watching the front suspension on the Lotus work up and down (independently), and seeing one tire lock up but not the other going into the Parabolica at Monza....amazing.

But still not as good as the real thing.

lateapex911
11-23-2004, 02:51 AM
Ok, sounds cool...what platform? The PC? What is the best interface? (I have a Logitech force feedback wheel)
Can you turn the power "down" to better equate the lap sppeds we turn?

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

JeffYoung
11-23-2004, 03:02 AM
PC only and I think it was one of the first driving sims to support force feedback.

You can turn the power down -- the sim includes Formula 2 and Formula 3 cars with less HP. Just rough seat of the pants I would say that a F1 car in 67 (which had I think 400 hp or so) on those skinny tires if very different than anything we have or will drive. A F2 car with 200 hp is not much different from a Formula Mazda, just without the slicks. The F3s are probably the closest approximation to an IT car.

I also am pretty sure I've seen mods for sedans, in fact I'm positive I've seen one for Ford/Lotus Cortinas.

Kevin Truszkowski
11-28-2004, 02:56 AM
I would like to get in on the video swapping. Don't have dvd capability, only vhs tapes of:
Pocono (lost 5th gear,but still OK)
Lime Rock Park
Beaverun
Summit Point (major crash out of turn 4 and ran in rain the next day)
Can put up to 6 hours on a tape.
Interested in: Watins Glen, VIR, Roebling Road & NHIS.

------------------
Kevin T. #69 ITA

[This message has been edited by Kevin Truszkowski (edited November 28, 2004).]

88YB1
11-28-2004, 10:48 PM
Hotshoe, I wolud love to get a copy of the tracks you listed. I have a used cd burner lying around that you can have. Email me off line if interested.

Chuck
ITA Fiero #34

Hotshoe
11-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Chuck:

...I will need your Email address.

...I have a CD burner on my computer but need a way to hook it up to my VCR or camcorder.

...I wish I knew as much about computers as I do about cars....LOL

gran racing
11-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Hotshoe - I too am very interested in getting some of your video. I'm really interested in Road Atlanta.

shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance.
[email protected]

Thanks!

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

88YB1
11-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Sorry. Senior moment #xxx
[email protected]

88YB1
11-30-2004, 02:48 PM
Hotshoe, Check this site http://www.tomdownload.com/dvd_softeware/d...d_detective.htm (http://www.tomdownload.com/dvd_software/dvd_detective.htm)
It's a software package that allows copying vhs to hard drive or DVD. It comes with a free trial version. You may be able to copy your vhs to hard drive then to cdr.

Chuck

[This message has been edited by 88YB1 (edited November 30, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by 88YB1 (edited November 30, 2004).]

88YB1
11-30-2004, 03:01 PM
take the e out of the middle of software and the url will work. I edited twice but it didn't take.
Chuck

RacerBill
12-13-2004, 10:28 AM
Don't want to hijack thread, so will start a track video thread.

RacerBill
12-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Don't want to hijack thread, so will start a track video thread.

gran racing
12-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Does anyone have NHIS video they would be willing to share?

[email protected]

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

Cruez
12-29-2004, 12:00 PM
Live for Speed has very good physics, some of the best I have seen.. Its a racing sim for the PC that some guys created.

It doesn't have the tracks you need, but the physics are great. You can alter spring rates, tire pressures,alignments,ride heights, suspension...etc.

You can download the fully operational demo at liveforspeed.net (you get more tracks and cars if you pay for the full version..$20, I believe. )