PDA

View Full Version : LSD vs.Welded driving technique

Dead Skunk
12-23-2003, 04:52 PM
If I were to switch from a front wheel drive car with a Quaife to one with a welded diff, what would I expect it to behave like? What would be different from what I'm used to?

joeg
12-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Don't try to parallel park it.

In the dry, it is enjoyable (a little crude under braking); in the wet...probably no real comparison to a Quaife...borderline hairy.

Always bring spare CV joints.
Regards.

Knestis
12-23-2003, 05:26 PM
It's going to be a more spirited horse - you need to give it its head a little and let it run, particularly in the wet. They will squirt around in puddles and seams but if you ride it out they typically keep going in one direction.

Once you get one "up on a plane" in the dry where you have some slip angles to work with, they are fine. The nicest aspect I found was, if you want to tighten your line, you just turn in a little more and keep your foot down - it'll drag you wherever you point it, albeit losing time doing so.

Be particularly careful backing up in the paddock! There's a phenomenon a freind dubbed "diff whip," where you start to turn while backing and the various factors conspire to wail the wheel out of your hands, jamming the steering full-lock and hyper-extending the CV joints...

K