PDA

View Full Version : Poll: RWD Welded vs. LSD

Eagle7
12-05-2003, 11:05 PM
In talking to a Prod driver, I'm beginning to rethink my diff plans. He says more Prod drivers use welded diffs than LSD, and thinks that with the right driving technique they are faster. I know several IT drivers that use welded and seem satisfied with them. I know it's a pain around the garage, but what about the track?

So, If you've got actual experience in a RWD car with both welded and LSD diffs, please share your opinions.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX7 #13
CenDiv WMR

[This message has been edited by Eagle7 (edited December 05, 2003).]

kthomas
12-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Welded diffs are cheaper, lighter, and run cooler. They're also slower (because you're nearly always dragging some tire around at a speed it doesn't want to go), strain the drivetrain, tend to push in slow corners, and make it impossible to turn the car in the rain. Not the elegant solution, but a cheap way do get 95% of the job done.

------------------
katman

Blix
12-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Well, let me put it this way....They use a limited slip diff in every Pro racing category I've ever heard of EXCEPT Trans-Am, and they do that to keep the costs down. So, given that it is probably the better solution but it is certainly more expensive. Perhaps a welded diff would suit for a while, as you saved up for a high end LSD?

Eric
NER SM #02

Quickshoe
12-08-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Blix:
Perhaps a welded diff would suit for a while, as you saved up for a high end LSD?

Exactly what and why I did it. 1st gen rx7, fast tracks, not many slow corners. The chance of rain was almost nill. (California Desert).

If you do it, pay attention to the tire stagger. Keep the "big" tire on the outside of the most important and/or corners you spend the most time in. My car didn't push very much at corner entry, just trail brake a little more and it'll point. The corners that don't require any braking at all are probably large enough that a welded diff isn't costing much time.