PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on helmet hardness

handfulz28
07-28-2005, 08:23 PM
http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/
Don't know how old it is, just came across it in a motorcycle forum I participate in.

Even though it's geared towards motorcyclists' helmets, it's got to make you wonder...

As if we had enough distaste of Snell on the HNR stuff...

Michael

JamesB
07-28-2005, 08:48 PM
That artical had a LOT of discussion on the WDCR-SCCA solo II list off yahoo groups. a lot was said on both sides. more then my brain can remember.

ddewhurst
07-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Michael, the same ozzy gozzy could be written about EVERY SAFETY item we use in racing or life in general.

Have Fun http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
David

ps: Be careful crossing the street.

Knestis
07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
20 years ago when I was working for Competition Systems in Seattle, an ex-Simpson employee I visited with at SEMA told me that they were making helmets that were specifically reinforced where the Snell tests hit them.

Since the test was narrowly defined - repeatability is the currency of that kind of test - they could make other parts of the helmet much thinner.

Anyone remember that their primary advertising point during the '80s was light weight?

K

lateapex911
07-28-2005, 09:28 PM
the test is just out..I saw it on a newstand and bought it for that test.

IMHO, it was an eyeopening test, but the conclusion is logical.

In our form of racing, we need to choose the safethy gear that will do us the most good in the incidents that we are most likely to be involved in.

It makes no sense to buy equipment that will keep you alive in a 200 MPH hit when that equipment is inferior to other equipment at speeds and G loads that are more realistic for us.

That article is a great piece, and should be reprinted in all the local SCCA regional newsletters...sadly, copyright laws, bla bla bla, won't permit that...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]