PDA

View Full Version : Potential Event For SCCA IT Racers

23racer
01-14-2005, 11:44 AM
Just heard through the grapevine that at the 2005 Labor Day ALMS Weekend that the CASC is putting on another Touring GT 45 minute race. I have spoken to the President of the CASC and he has agreed to allow all SCCA IT cars and SCCA licensed drivers to run in this event with the regular CASC Touring GT cars. The SCCA IT cars would run in the Touring class which is roughly similar to the World Challenge Touring class but allows older chassis to run.

The series runs on Toyo RA-1's and you would be required to run the series decal package that would be made available at registration or if you register early enough it can be sent to you by mail.

This weekend is run before 70,000 spectators at Mosport, just outside Toronto, and includes ALMS race, World Challenge GT and Touring races, Formula Mazda, Honda Michelin and the CASC Touring GT race. Last year we started 43 cars (track will hold over 60) and was the most fun I have had in years. Well prepared ITS cars should be very competitive and as the rules are wide open, only stipulating a maximum tire/ wheel width of a 225x??x18 and a minimum weight based on a calculator (available on CASC website under rules header) which for an RX7 ranges from 2450 to 2530 lbs (depends on single or four piston calipers), the event should be easy to enter.

I have heard of some interest out of the U.S. already so I thought that we would try to get the message out. This is a great chance to race your club cars at one of the best tracks in North America at a heavily attended Pro Weekend that includes some of the best racing series on the planet. It is just a blast and the racing is clean but hard.

Jeff 32 its
01-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Where can I get some more info on this race and entry forms and so on. How hard is it to get across the borders with race cars and such. sounds like a great vacation trip to me. we have to cars and are from Kansas city. let me know where to find info so we can make arramgements to go. thanks Jeff and Jason Meeker

racer-025
01-18-2005, 12:25 PM

Please email me all the details & entry forms as some of us IT racers in Atlantic Canada, may want to participate in this event.

bmcnutt at heritagegas dot com

Jeff,

The border is no big deal. All you need is a list of items that you are taking with you. Canadian Customs will check this list when you cross the border. US Customs will do the same on your way back. Otherwise, just bring your drivers license. No passport required.

The deal is - if you look like you are going racing, then its a breeze. If you look like you are selling your racecar, then they will question you. (example: racecar on trailer with nothing else is a good indication that you are selling your car).

[This message has been edited by racer-025 (edited January 18, 2005).]

dominojd
01-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by 23racer:

I have heard of some interest out of the U.S. already so I thought that we would try to get the message out.

That would probaly would have been me. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif I have contacted these guys via : http://racing.kos.net/soloforums/index.php?s=
Here is the weigt calculator: http://www.casc.on.ca/tgtc05wtcalc-b.xls.htm

Here is the registration forms:
http://www.casc.on.ca/documents/tgt05regforms.pdf

Here is the web site for the series:
http://www.casc.on.ca/bulletins.php
Look under Bulletins/Rules section for rules and entry packages

The only thing I had asked about was last year they ran a catch all class. I was wondering if they were going to do this for this year so I could run My hoosiers instead of buying tires for one event.

------------------
Crazy Joe
#01 ITA
Nissan Sentra SE-R

Jeff 32 its
01-19-2005, 09:28 AM
Thanks Joe, The reason I was asking about the border was I have a 48ft trailer with living quarters and didnt know how big of a hassle it would be. Can you tell me are there places to park our trailer so we can stay in it and race out of it all weekend. any other info would help. Thanks Jeff

Jeff 32 its
01-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Thanks Joe, The reason I was asking about the border was I have a 48ft trailer with living quarters and didnt know how big of a hassle it would be. Can you tell me are there places to park our trailer so we can stay in it and race out of it all weekend. any other info would help. Thanks Jeff

dominojd
01-20-2005, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Jeff 32 its:

I am pretty sure staying there would not be a problem. Most of the fans camped out all weekend. The biggest problem is getting in and out of the track with the trailers. You have to get in at certain times while no one is on track. They only have a small tunnel that will fit cars through.

------------------
Crazy Joe
#01 ITA
Nissan Sentra SE-R

racer-025
01-22-2005, 08:21 AM

what is the entry fee for this event? also how much practice time?

dominojd
01-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by racer-025:

what is the entry fee for this event? also how much practice time?

Last year I was told $400 Canadian.
Here is the schedule from last year: http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/events...s/schedule.html (http://www.world-challenge.com/2004/events/mos/schedule.html)
There was a 30 min practiceand a30 min qualifying on friday and saturday there was a 45 min race

------------------
Crazy Joe
#01 ITA
Nissan Sentra SE-R

Jeff 32 its
01-22-2005, 10:49 AM
DOes anyone know when they entry forms and schedule will be available?

23racer
01-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Sorry, I have been in Orlando for a week and haven't had time to check out the site. Anyways to answer your general questions, I have been speaking to John Bondar the President of the CASC (he can be reached off of the CASC.ON website for details) and the basic race premise is as follows:

1) 45 minute race on Saturday (may change)
2) All IT cars will run with the Touring class in the Touring GT race. This means that cars that fall into ITA, ITB ITC, etc... will have to run heads up with the ITS cars.
3) All cars will be required to run on Toyo RA-1s (Toyo is a series sponsor and equal tires really tends to equalize the cars), max tire size is 225X50
4) Entry fee will be set by Mosport, but last year it was $400 Canadian ($360 U.S.) and I have not heard of any planned changes. One off entries will have to pay a one time fee for the required decal package, I think it is $50 Cdn ($40 U.S.)
5) Camping at the track is very possible. Most Speed Teams have someone camped at the track and a lot of the Canadian runners do as well.
6) Practice last year was 30 minutes with a 30 minute qualifying session (total track time 1 hour and 45 minutes
7) Rules package is wide open except for the maximum tire size and a minimum weight calculator (available under Rules and Regs section on www.CASC.ON.ca (http://www.CASC.ON.ca) website. Realistically a second gen RX7 e-prod car could race as long as it ran on Toyo's and weighed in at 2500 lbs+ without driver.
8) Top cars in Touring Class run times about 1 - 2 seconds off of a Speed WC car. I run about 3 - 4 seconds off with a stock 6 Port and 4:10 rear gears.
9) Crossing the border with a rig and race car is pretty easy. Draw up a list of what you are bringing, download information on the race (just in case) and you should cross with no issues as you are not racing for any money therefore Revenue Canada/ IRS won't care. I have done races in the Pacific Northwest Portland, Thunderhill and Pacific Raceway (still want to call it SIR) and have never had any difficulties at the border. Just bring a passport or birth certificate and drivers license with picture to get back into the U.S.

Mosport is a really great buzz to race on. The weekend is fantastic to race at and be a part of. I can help anyone looking for further information or car classification issues, but I am just a racer not an official. We tend to run a ton more friendly in Ontario than at a traditional SCCA event, so if you guys are planning to come up be ready for a ton of fun and some very close but clean racing.

Anubis
01-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Make sure to take a look at the flagging rules in their entirety but there are a couple of things that could catch you out:

1. RED flags are used to shut down the session, slow down and return to the pits at a reduced pace. Do not stop as we do in SCCA competition, while you won't get in trouble persay you will be laughed at by the marshalls and other officials... not in a nasty mean spirited sort of way though, its all in good fun as you have just advertised yourself as one of those "damned yanks http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif ".

2. Double waved yellow, this means oh shit. Its a pair of flags you don't want to see, typically used with 50%+ track blockage whether blockage due to a car perpendicular racing surface, various wrecked cars or combo wrecked cars/debris.

3. Little bit difference in the blue flagging. Steady will indict faster traffic is approaching. If the overtaking car is close enough and about to pass the blue flagger will then start waving the blue to indicate the pass is in progress.

4. Waving white indicates the emergency/slow moving vehicle is one station ahead, steady white indicates the vehicle is 2 stations ahead.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C

RIP Dimebag- August 20, 1966 to December 8th, 2004.

Jeff 32 its
01-27-2005, 04:30 PM
23Racer do you have a email I contact you at? Jeff

Originally posted by 23racer:
Sorry, I have been in Orlando for a week and haven't had time to check out the site. Anyways to answer your general questions, I have been speaking to John Bondar the President of the CASC (he can be reached off of the CASC.ON website for details) and the basic race premise is as follows:

1) 45 minute race on Saturday (may change)
2) All IT cars will run with the Touring class in the Touring GT race. This means that cars that fall into ITA, ITB ITC, etc... will have to run heads up with the ITS cars.
3) All cars will be required to run on Toyo RA-1s (Toyo is a series sponsor and equal tires really tends to equalize the cars), max tire size is 225X50
4) Entry fee will be set by Mosport, but last year it was $400 Canadian ($360 U.S.) and I have not heard of any planned changes. One off entries will have to pay a one time fee for the required decal package, I think it is $50 Cdn ($40 U.S.)
5) Camping at the track is very possible. Most Speed Teams have someone camped at the track and a lot of the Canadian runners do as well.
6) Practice last year was 30 minutes with a 30 minute qualifying session (total track time 1 hour and 45 minutes
7) Rules package is wide open except for the maximum tire size and a minimum weight calculator (available under Rules and Regs section on www.CASC.ON.ca (http://www.CASC.ON.ca) website. Realistically a second gen RX7 e-prod car could race as long as it ran on Toyo's and weighed in at 2500 lbs+ without driver.
8) Top cars in Touring Class run times about 1 - 2 seconds off of a Speed WC car. I run about 3 - 4 seconds off with a stock 6 Port and 4:10 rear gears.
9) Crossing the border with a rig and race car is pretty easy. Draw up a list of what you are bringing, download information on the race (just in case) and you should cross with no issues as you are not racing for any money therefore Revenue Canada/ IRS won't care. I have done races in the Pacific Northwest Portland, Thunderhill and Pacific Raceway (still want to call it SIR) and have never had any difficulties at the border. Just bring a passport or birth certificate and drivers license with picture to get back into the U.S.

Mosport is a really great buzz to race on. The weekend is fantastic to race at and be a part of. I can help anyone looking for further information or car classification issues, but I am just a racer not an official. We tend to run a ton more friendly in Ontario than at a traditional SCCA event, so if you guys are planning to come up be ready for a ton of fun and some very close but clean racing.

23racer
01-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Just talked to John Bondar (CASC President) and the entry fee for SCCA IT competitors has been set. The entry fee for the weekend is $375 U.S.. This includes 1 driver and 3 crew passes, camping pass and a complete series decal kit including upper windshield banner. This deal can apply for any other Touring GT Championship weekend this upcoming year. It may be fun to run at some of our other weekends as well.

If anyone has any other questions you can e-mail me at [email protected].

We would love to see you guys come up. I expect that you would find many people willing to help with lines, braking points, etc... Just remember that Mosport's Turn 2 is always in the Top Ten corner listings in any magazine. Nothing is as cool as hooking the inside tires into the inside turn 2 gutter, bouncing over the hump and the drift out, under full throttle, between the first and second apex.

I have also heard a rumour that the EMRA and the CASC are putting on a joint event at Shannonville this summer as well.

23racer
01-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Oh yeah I forgot, my exit speed out of turn 2 is over 110 mph and my average lap speed exceeds 89 mph. Mosport is a really fast, high speed corner, blind brow track.

Corner Speeds - Turn 1 into it at 90 - 100 mph, lift, exit at approx. 110. Turn 2 into at 110, brake, exit at 110. Turn 3 into it at 115, hard on brakes, float out at 80. Turn 4 flat out at 110 accelerating to 120. Turn 8 into it at 125 - 130 mph, hard stab on brakes, exit at 100. Turn 9 enter at 100, hard stab, exit at 80. Turn 10 enter at 80, hard stab, exit at 50. The track has really fast, long, long curves. You really learn how to 4 wheel drift your car above 80 mph on this track.

My in car video's have caused a few of my non-racing friends to question my sanity. In the rain sometimes I question my sanity myself.

Jeff 32 its
02-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Is anyone else thinking about going to run this event? I have already sent my paper work in. Seems to be a real nice group of people there. Looking forward to making my first trip to Canada and Niagra Falls. Just wondering if anybady else was going. Jeff

racer-025
02-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Yes, there are at least 5+ of us planning to compete at this event from Atlantic Canada....

23racer
02-14-2005, 11:09 AM
As to other entries for the event, we already have 17 cars from outside of Ontario. The entries are coming in pretty quickly and we have a number of U.S. cars already. You should register pretty quickly if you don't want to be disappointed.

So 17 already plus the 35 - 40 Touring GT cars and you already have a grid of 50 cars minimum. The track holds 64 cars for a race so it looks like we have room for about 15 more cars. 2 years ago when the Grand Am Cup teams came out to race on one of our weekends, the Sunday morning warmup had over 80 cars out !!!! It was like a video game.

There is also a 3 hour Sundowner PRO - enduro taking place during the Victoria Day Weekend (May 20 - 23). The enduro is a support race for the AGT Series, Historic Formula Atlantic, Honda Michelin and FV 1200. This would be a great way to get a ton of track time (day and night) for a very reasonable entry fee ($350 Cdn.). All IT cars could enter in one of our Sprint classes (no car prep rules, just break out time rules) and have a ton of fun.

Let me know if you have any questions on anything with racing up here.

Eric

Jeff 32 its
03-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Anybody else decided to go north yet?

emwavey
03-30-2005, 05:44 PM
Too new and too poor, but it sounds like a blast. Looking forward to hearing stories, videos and pictures for better, vicarious living.

-dave
8)

23racer
04-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Jeff, just to let you know, we have a 4 car team coming out of the Seattle area for the event. These cars are not IT cars, however. 4 ITA cars from the east coast. I expect that Quebec will add a few cars as well. We have also had a number of EMRA guys express interest as well. Very few people seem to be as organized as you, Jeff. One guy is entering his newly purchased ITE Viper out of California.

I expect that with another announcement in early summer, we may get a few more North east region cars. Main concern is that with the 10 - 15 cars presently registered from outside of Ontario, plus the 40+ Touring GT cars, we only have room for 5 - 8 more cars. May need to soon start limiting entries.

Regards

Eric

Mattberg
04-03-2005, 12:13 AM
How cool is this event? I gotta' go rent a car.

Jeff 32 its
07-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Eric just wanted to let you know I dont think I will be able to make it out for the race. The job is very busy and we are going to be at a very critical stage around that date. I will miss not coming north to meet you guys. Jeff