PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on new car please

ITAMiata
07-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Well, my much beloved ITA Miata met an ugly end when it went straight into a tree after another car and I tangled on the main straight at Summit Point.

So, the question now is whether I by a new Miata and try and build another ITA Miata (I was running about .8 seconds off the track record and getting better each weekend), OR do I look for a pre-built car of another type. I've liked the Baby Grand Stockcars a lot but I think there are roughly three SPU cars in the MARRS series, so there really wouldn't be much competition.

As I see the pros and cons now I see the pro as being a prebuilt car being cheaper. on the other hand, I knwo the Miata and can be back at the front with another one while I would have to adjust to a new car.

If I did buy a new car I would want something is the ITA/ITS speed range and something that had the ability to run at/near the front.

So, any suggestions?

ITAMiata
07-10-2005, 02:11 PM
I should add I do not want to drive anything that is fwd. I like rwd.

Bill

Bill Miller
07-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Bill,

First off, sorry about your car, but glad you're ok. I guess the question would be, is how much stuff from your old car could you use on a new one? If you've got the time to build another car, and you can use a fair amount of the stuff from the old car, I'd probably go that route. Or, if you get a pre-built car, you've got a decent spares pkg. already. Question then becomes, how much will you have to pay for a pre-built car, that is close to where the old one was, in terms of parts and development?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

ITAMiata
07-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Bill, the rear suspension is still useful, and seat, belts etc... I'm sure can be re-used. Engine is gone and front suspension is mauled. I'm not really sure yet all of it. I left it up at our garage in Gasoline Alley.

If you were running ITB today you might have seen me up in the air at the start on the main straight. I've heard it was quite a show.

No one builds ITA Miatas so it really isn't possible to simply buy one. I'd have to get a Spec Miata, add a new engine and suspension. I think it would actually be cheaper to build a new one from scratch if I decide to run another ITA Miata. Right now I have a line on a 1991 Miata for 2k, cage would be another 2k and a new engine is 3k. Then all the work, suspension etc...

I have been looking a the Baby Grand Stock cars and see I could get one for about 8K ready to go.

I guess the only good thing about this (other then walking away from it) is the fun of looking at all the possibilities! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Bill

mgyip
07-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Billy - sorry to see your incident and was glad to see you out of the car when we came by on the first double-yellow lap but thanks for the 2 positions, it really helped my season standings http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

While it is most logical for newbies to purchase a pre-built car, since you're seasoned at this sport, IMHO you'd be better of building a car since you have a fair number of pieces that will transfer without any modification which reduces the overall cost.

One thing to bear in mind if you don't intend to work on the cars full-time is that Miatas have a world of support since they're wildly popular in racing. This means that you can find someone (sometimes even a VW pilot with a few metric tools) to help you get your car back in shape. However the Baby Grands use motorcycle drivetrains and the are more for the DIY racer. Also with so few Baby Grands in the field, the world of spare parts is much thinner. In other words, when you break a header on a Baby Grand, your "pool" of parts is significantly smaller and chances of finding someone who can quickly fix it are much smaller than with a Miata (think VIR).

Personally, I'd tell you build another Miata. Hit up the SM/SSM boys and see what they have laying around - knowing a few of them, there's at least 1 or 2 SMs in the works that don't have owners yet. Buy one of those with a cage and prep it for ITA instead.

P.S. Thank you Dad for the photos that he left in my car - they're AWESOME!!

ITAMiata
07-11-2005, 01:36 AM
Hey Matt, glad you liked the pictures. He sure has fun taking them.

Valid points on the rebuild. Finding a Miata with a cage already in it that won't cost more to buy then it would to build might not be that easy, but I understand what you are saying about parts and knowledge regarding the Miata. The other plus is I know how to set the car to suit my driving now. A new car would be learning all over again.

I was wondering earlier about some of the things I've read concerning the 1.8 liter Miatas possibly being reclassified into ITA. It would suck to build another 1.6 if I could get a 1.8 liter into ITA next year. I need more power on the straights. Anyone know how likely this is to happen?

I hadn't thought about parts for the Baby Grand, but I don't much care for the thought of having no one to race with. Open wheel holds no appeal to me. American Sedan I dislike for a host of reasons and SFR has no roof, and just in case my new friend (the tree) and I ever meet again, I'd like another roof thanks. ITS BMW just simply costs too much.

I could opt for a 240 already built like Kirk has but I know absolutely nothing about them. Your thoughts there?

As for your final position, I can't take all the credit, I had help in the grand scheme to advance your point total.

zracre
07-11-2005, 08:47 AM
I would go the SM/ITA route...cheap to build and great fields of cars...I am building a budget SM now. All the bits not destroyed from the wreck would come in handy If you were to build another one (seat switches brakes wheels etc)...the cars are cheap now and so are the parts in comparison to many other cars out there. For about 4 grand you could be back on track and racing again with a freshened up car....I always look for the cheapest route http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif.

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

mgyip
07-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ITAMiata:
I could opt for a 240 already built like Kirk has but I know absolutely nothing about them. Your thoughts there?

The 240SX had teething problems when they were first introduced - Payton lunched several motors on his before he finally either got it sorted out or sold the car (can't remember which came first). Kirk's first year with the car was similarly bad although I don't think he lost too many motors. Jason's first outing in his 240 resulted in a ventillated block so I'd say that unless you're sleeping with your engine builder, stick with the more reliable (and nimble) car, namely the Miata.

Bill Miller
07-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Bill, the rear suspension is still useful, and seat, belts etc... I'm sure can be re-used. Engine is gone and front suspension is mauled. I'm not really sure yet all of it. I left it up at our garage in Gasoline Alley.

Bill,

If the car was in that significant of a shunt, espeically head-on, I wouldn't even think of re-using the belts. You essentially get one shock-load and they're done. They're like static climbing rope, once it's shock-loaded, it gets retired.

------------------
SCCA 279608

JamesB
07-11-2005, 09:33 AM
Bill,

Sorry to hear about your car but glad to see your safe and thinking about what next. Personally I would just go with another ITA Miata. You know the car and from all I could see you know how to throw that car around. You now have a whole lot of spares including a rear end and many other parts you might not have thought about.

I side with Miller on the belts, if you took a good head on I would toss them or go throught he cost of recerting them. I am sure if you check the webbing you will find some stress on those belts which could lead to a failure if Mr. Tree comes at you again.

timelapseracing
07-11-2005, 12:54 PM
Bill, Sorry to hear about the shunt. Glad your ok. There are a lot of reasons to stay with the miata. As someone already said their are more spares from your current car than you probably think.

Regarding the 240sx. I'm happy with it, even though it has been a rough go getting started. I am still sorting it out. I also wanted RWD and F.I., spares have been available for this car at a pretty good price. Since drifting has come around, there are more aftermarket parts for the car too.

Based on this seasons results though, the miata looks strong and well balanced. I assume Bret hasn't left too many improvements on the table so there is a goal to shoot for. Mazda's support also seems better than Nissan's.

Definitely - TRASH the BELTS.

Good luck,
Jason.

------------------
1989 ITA 240sx - #21 MARRS Series

http://www.mindspring.com/~timelapseracing

Tom Donnelly
07-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Bill,
How bad is the engine? If the head was setup for ITA there's an expense you won't have to re-spend. Plus the block, crank, rods, etc. Are you sure its completely toast? Plus, I bet your shocks are re-buildable, the springs are probably ok, and lots and lots of other small stuff like guages, body parts, brake parts, transmission, lsd and such that you won't notice until you start tearing it down and boxing up the spares. I'd stick with the miata cause you still have one. Did you chew up the hardtop? There are some ITA miatas in the southeast.

Tom

DavidM
07-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Chris Newberry here in the SE region is selling his ITS 240SX if you're considering one. It's a nice looking and well prepared car. He's a member of the forum so look him up and send him an e-mail if you're interested.

David
ITA 240SX

ITAMiata
07-11-2005, 03:20 PM
OK, trash belts. Tomorrow the mechanic (Alex) is going to go check the car out and see what can still be salvaged and what cannot.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the Miata route again but the question remains, will the competition committee place the 1.8 liter Miata in ITA, or do I stay safe and go with the 1.6 liter?

Man am I sore today.

Bill

mgyip
07-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the Miata route again but the question remains, will the competition committee place the 1.8 liter Miata in ITA, or do I stay safe and go with the 1.6 liter?

You're asking a question that only the crystal ball can answer and due to atmospheric conditions, the ball is rather cloudy these days.

Hopefully SCCA will add enough weight to the 1.8L to keep it from running away from the rest of the field (think E36 BMWs). I'd stick with the 1.6l - while it doesn't have the HP, it's lighter and more nimble - I think I'd rather have a car that doesn't slow down for the turns over one that rockets down the straight and has to slow for every turn.

JamesB
07-11-2005, 03:59 PM
I can bet your a bit sore and beat up. Good thing to do is strech lightly but often to help those muscles loosen up.

As for the car once you have a good idea on how broken things are you can then look at your replacement. Also, how solid is the proposal of the 1.8 in ITA?

emwavey
07-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Hi Bill,

Sorry to hear about your off-track, tree, excursion, but very happy to hear you're OK.

I think if I had to start over I'd seriously consider a Miata.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

------------------
-dave
nerdsracing.com (http://www.nerdsracing.com)
8)

JeffYoung
07-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident....

We (RTP Racing) are in Raleigh NC and we have a 1.6l Miata with hardtop on deck (it's been partially stripped) for prep into an ITA or SM. Could finish it for you or sell it as is.

E-mail me offline-- [email protected]

ITAMiata
07-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Tom, the hardtop came through OK, at least it sure looked OK when I left the track. I'll know more about the car and what can be re-used tomorrow.

Bill

ITAMiata
07-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Matt and James, I really don't know how likely the 1.8 liter being reclassed into ITA truly is. I've seen noise about it through the year in the SCCA magazine, but it seems to get shelved each time. I was 80 pounds over minimum weight in my 1.6, so I can't imagine a 1.8 being listed more then 100 pounds over the 1.6, thus the power increase would more then offset the additional 20 pounds. However, since I really don't know if/when they will do this I think I'll probably go with another 1.6 and see if I can get it down closer to the 2205 minimum.

ITAMiata
07-11-2005, 08:17 PM
David, I don't recall ever seeing a 240 in ITS. How well do they do vs. the BMW's?

Andy Bettencourt
07-11-2005, 08:38 PM
Matt and James, I really don't know how likely the 1.8 liter being reclassed into ITA truly is. I've seen noise about it through the year in the SCCA magazine, but it seems to get shelved each time. I was 80 pounds over minimum weight in my 1.6, so I can't imagine a 1.8 being listed more then 100 pounds over the 1.6, thus the power increase would more then offset the additional 20 pounds. However, since I really don't know if/when they will do this I think I'll probably go with another 1.6 and see if I can get it down closer to the 2205 minimum.

I think the CRB will put the 1.8 into ITA. It's 128hp stock for goodnes sake!

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)
http://www.flatout-motorsports.com/images/misc/RX-7_Avitar.jpg

zracre
07-12-2005, 08:42 AM
If they put the 1.8 car in ITA it will be very competitive...a well set up 1.6 ITA car is pretty close to the front at many tracks...the extra few ponies will just bring it that much closer...

------------------
Evan Darling
ITA Integra

mgyip
07-12-2005, 08:42 AM
However, since I really don't know if/when they will do this I think I'll probably go with another 1.6 and see if I can get it down closer to the 2205 minimum.

Ding, ding, ding - that's the wisest approach since the 1.6 is already classed and I don't think the 1.8 has been slated for ITA quite yet. There are more than a few racers who built cars on the off-chance that SCCA would class them "competitively". When that didn't happen, they were stuck with an expensive car that was fighting for DFL.

Since your car was originally built for SM, it'll be fairly easy to find those phantom 80 lbs. This is also a good opportunity to upgrade any components on the car that were SM mandated but not necessarily ideal for IT.

Andy Bettencourt
07-12-2005, 09:06 AM
While I am willing to bet the 1.8 gets to ITA, what weight it gets there at is not guaranteed...that is where the gamble is...

If I were a betting man, my money lay on these two squares:

1.6 at 2205 (can you get there?)
1.8 at 'around 2400' (give or take 20?)

But, as has been said, there is NOTHING written in stone so a 1.8 build starting today is very risky.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt

ITAMiata
07-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Risky is why I'm going with the 1.6 liter again. I would hate to build a 1.8 and find out it never gets moved to ITA, or has to weigh 2400. At 2300 I think a 1.8 liter would be brutally fast. Having said that, once I build my new 1.6 liter, if the 1.8 is moved to ITA at 2300 no one will whine louder then me!!! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Hey Matt, did you catch any of Gregg and I flying through the air on your video? I really want to see it after hearing various people's descriptions.

mgyip
07-12-2005, 10:22 AM
no one will whine louder then me!!! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Hey Matt, did you catch any of Gregg and I flying through the air on your video?

I don't know about that - there is a certain ITC driver that can whine louder than anyone when SCCA threatens to make his almost 30 yr old car uncompetitive with the addition of cars that aren't classified as "Antique" into ITC.

Brad's car (black/green Honda) blocked my view of your "incident". All I have on video is the two of you sliding to drivers' left on the start. Sean had the ring-side seat however since he was right behind both of you. I don't think that he was running video last weekend so you'll have to rely on his commentary which was impartial and somewhat amusing as well. "Dangerous" Dave was in the tower and got a good look at the festivities as well...

Speaking of Brad, I know he had a problem on about the 4th lap. I didn't get a chance to stop by to check on him but I hope the car is OK. I didn't get assailed by flying fluids or parts so I'd think that it's not overly terminal.

ITABrad
07-12-2005, 11:14 AM
That was really a frightening looking crash.Glad to see both drivers are OK.I saw it starting to get ugly and I lifted. Sean and Larry blew by on the inside.I was looking forward to trying to get by them,AGAIN.On the restart,when I braked for three the front end darted around alot. Going down the chute the car was going left while I was turning right. The steering rack bolts came loose. Lesson- Never lube steering bolts. Did not get my racing fix fulfilled. Can't wait to get to the Glen

Tom Donnelly
07-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Bill,

Besides stretching, lifting weights helps. I did alot of bench and neck exercises after my wreck. You have to start light and work back up. I tried the opposite (ego) and that just made recovery longer. If your helmet hit anything you need to toss it too. Or make a "trophy" of it. Oh, and a sawzall is great for parts removal.

Tom Donnelly
ITS 240z

mgyip
07-12-2005, 11:44 AM
I was a bit "transfixed" on the back of your car at the start since I was trying to get my grapling hook aimed properly so I could have a fighting chance of staying with the "fast pack". You were certainly ring-side for the incident.

That was one fugly restart as well - the leader put the hammer down AT THE BRIDGE!! I watched my video and was upshifting into 10 b/c y'all were disappearing from my view at that point. I was a bit surprised that the starter gave us the green on the restart since we had to be going 70 mph or better when we passed start/finish!!

Glad to see that you and the car are OK - see you at the Glen!!

Note to self - provide Brad with anti-sieze and thread lube for Honda rack bolts...

DavidM
07-12-2005, 12:46 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">David, I don't recall ever seeing a 240 in ITS. How well do they do vs. the BMW's? </font>

The DOHC 4-valve 91+ 240SXs are classed in ITS. The BMWs are quicker, but Chris did finish 3rd in the Sunday race (behind two BMW's) at Roebling this weekend. There aren't a whole lot of ITS 240s so there may be a good bit more development that can be done. Chris would be a much better source of info.

David

charrbq
07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Please don't buy a Baby Grand. I know they're cute, fast, and fun looking, but they can be a demon to drive fast. They have their "kinky appeal", but only a few areas of the country see enough of them to make a race. Mixing them with the IT cars has lead to a bunch of accidents that I've witnessed. I will say they have an incredibly strong chassis/roll cage!
Stay with they Miata. They are finally being developed in ITA to be fast. They languished in ITS too long for the good teams to develop them, it was too easy to build a Honda for ITA. SM took the interest of the builders (good money to be made) and ITA got over looked. Advantage is that now the SM guys are developing go-fast parts that transfer over to ITA and the Miatas are getting way more competitive. They've got to be a kick to drive!
Also, I'd avoid the 240SX based on my knowledge of the expense to build and operate. They are, however, very fast.
Don't count on the 1800 moving down to ITA from ITS. The comp board moves very slowly, and they have a tendency not to listen to logic. IMHO. Several of us tried to get the gen 1 Honda SI bumped down from ITA to ITB for years. It finally happened, but most of the cars are gone.
I was told by a member of the IT committee the they were afraid of moving cars around from a non competitive classing to a competitive one for fear of creating a "one car class". The example used was the 2nd gen Honda CRX. They have the idea that they will give you a place to race, but not guarantee that you'll be competitive.
The board may move the 1800 down, but how old will you be when it happens?

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

Greg Amy
07-14-2005, 12:18 PM
If I were building a new IT car today, it would be a 1984 Package C Miata without ABS and with hardtop. Early 1.8L, LSD, and lots of fancy equipment that can be removed and sold on eBay for about $1000 (ask me how I know...). Figure you can get it to about 2375# with a 185# driver and it would be a perfect fit into ITA. - GA

Andy Bettencourt
07-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Chris,

That's ancient history. I would expect the 1.8 move to happen for 2006. The current ITAC and CRB has a "if it's right, lets do it" mentality. That is where all the moves over the last 18mos have come from.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt

Bill Miller
07-14-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy:
If I were building a new IT car today, it would be a 1984 Package C Miata without ABS and with hardtop. Early 1.8L, LSD, and lots of fancy equipment that can be removed and sold on eBay for about $1000 (ask me how I know...). Figure you can get it to about 2375# with a 185# driver and it would be a perfect fit into ITA. - GA

Can't imagine why you'd want to cut up such a rare car! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

I think you're right though Greg, makes a perfect IT2... I mean ITA car! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
SCCA 279608

sccaITA16v
07-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by mgyip:

Note to self - provide Brad with anti-sieze and thread lube for Honda rack bolts...

Ha! Matt we need to create a Brad Barnhouse lube-for-life fund: every event we will present him with a different type of lube, hopefully this will keep him off us every event!! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

------------------
www.teamdriverswanted.com (http://www.teamdriverswanted.com)

Ron Earp
07-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Build a Jensen Healey.

Seriously, not one with much experience except watching other people race and working on cars, I'd build a 240sx, either S or A. They'd be fun to develop and they definitely have what it takes to run upfront in the right hands. I don't know of one that is 100% developed - that is, everything to the max, utilizing the free ECU rule for all that it is worth, etc. but well prepped ones as noted above can definitely win and run upfront. I think a 100% one could easily do that and more.

And, if you don't like that build a TR8. A JH or TR8 are the perfect SCCA cars, they are easily worked on and that is what SCCA IT is about isn't it, working on cars?

One day I am going to drive one. I have heard stories about people that drive race cars, one day I'll find out where they do that and try it out.

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS
Email: "rlearp at gt40s.com"

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited July 14, 2005).]

mgyip
07-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by rlearp:
And, if you don't like that build a TR8. A JH or TR8 are the perfect SCCA cars, they are easily worked on and that is what SCCA IT is about isn't it, working on cars?

Since they're both British, Billy will HAVE to work on them and constantly. Perhaps he could build one of each so that he'd have a car to drive while the other one is being repaired but I wonder how the SOMs would look upon a driver that qualifies in a JH but races in a TR8.

Someone had a TR8 at VIR during one of the SARRC/MARRS events - the car was SO SLOW that even my hp-defficient brick I almost punted the car at Oak Tree. Depending on my mood, I tell myself that I'm either really good (doubtful) or that the TR8 is that bad (more likely).

Ron Earp
07-14-2005, 03:15 PM
He needs one of each JUST IN CASE, one of them is working the other will need repair. We wouldn't want anyone actually driving a car, would we?

Ummm, that TR8 you mention was probably one that I wrench on but it was losing a motor when you saw it, if it was this past SAARC/MARS that just occured.

Right after you passed it, it expired on the left hand side of the track. Long story, but it is quite fast actually and in a straight line will out-drag pretty much any ITS car. However, we've been having a host of motor troubles that we've think we've got sorted now - I hope! We'll be back, with new found power!

Of course, this is all theory. I don't actually drive cars, I just work on them.

R

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited July 14, 2005).]

Wreckerboy
07-14-2005, 04:09 PM
If buys a TR-8 or a JH he'll have to dust off those "fix the car during a race weekend" skills that get so dusty when you race a Miata...

Ron Earp
07-14-2005, 04:13 PM
I've got him covered. My skills are quite good now and I don't know what else I'd do in the paddock.

I see people sitting still sometimes in a chair and I think to myself "What is wrong with that guy is he hurt? Shouldn't he be doing something?". Occasionally I'll see someone hoist a beer after 5pm too, and I think, "Dang, if I didn't have to rebuild these carbs I'd have one of those too!". Oh well, all in fun!

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

mgyip
07-14-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by rlearp:
He needs one of each JUST IN CASE, one of them is working the other will need repair. We wouldn't want anyone actually driving a car, would we?

That's why a British car was the ultimate "date" car b/c it wasn't a matter of if but more when the car would break down and leave you stranded. Besides, one doesn't drive a British car, one motors (and walks and pushes). So many British car jokes (that aren't jokes as much as they are actual observations) and so little time...

The Miata is the Japanese answer to the classic British sports car - it's cute and nimble but it lacks the character that make British sports cars what they are today. Miatas start without fail, they don't leak water on a misty day and (unlike the TR8 that was perpetually "winking") their headlamps both rise and fall TOGETHER!!

Oh heck - I can't resist...

Lucas Electricals - the accidental inventor of the intermittent wiper...

[This message has been edited by mgyip (edited July 14, 2005).]

racer_tim
07-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Why did the Yugo come with the rear window defroster?

Hand Warmer.

Tim

mgyip
07-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by racer_tim:
Why did the Yugo come with the rear window defroster?

Hand Warmer.

I feel a challenge coming on...
My favorite, seen at the Jefferson 500 @ Summit Point many, many years ago:

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start

charrbq
07-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Andy,
You can believe what you want. I can only go from experience. The actions I've seen coming from the upper echelon of the SCCA is to guide club racing more towards a professional level. Improved Touring is looked at as the ugly step child of old racers and their confused crew. We have made enough noise to occassionally gain some respect, but only as a developing ground for professional racing. That's fine and good; wish I wasn't so old that I couldn't take advantage of it. The "handi-capping" some cars by weight and moving them down in class is an excellent step forward, but by their own admission, the comp board will not move fast on such things. All it will take to reverse the change is for another make to dominate a class and a bunch of formerly competitive drivers to write the comp board complaining.
I may speak in terms of "ancient history" that seem to aggravate you, but I'll stand by what I say. If the 1800 gets moved down to ITA...great. But if I was going to build one for that class, I'm afraid the chassis would be well worn out before it was moved down from ITS...as would I.

------------------
Chris Harris
ITC Honda Civic

JeffYoung
07-15-2005, 08:04 AM
MGYIP?

Is that the TR8 that finished 13 places ahead of you at SARRC/MARS last year in the Sunday race? Saturday I had a plug wire off.

Car ran 2:22 last fall in basically my first year as a driver. It's capable of more, when it runs (admittedly a problem).

I'd watch how you post stuff on here, I don't think you meant anything nasty but lots of folks read the board and might have a different perspective on your opinion.

mgyip
07-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by JeffYoung:
Is that the TR8 that finished 13 places ahead of you at SARRC/MARS last year in the Sunday race? Saturday I had a plug wire off.

That would be the same car - I have the video in Oak Tree where I had to lock up the brakes to keep from hitting you when the car died. It left quite an impression in my mind since I really didn't want to shorten your car or mine. Considering my spin on the 2nd lap of the Sunday race in '04 due to my own stupidity, 13 places behind the TR8 (2 sec/lap slower) was fine by me.

7racing
07-15-2005, 11:52 AM

Back on topic. Sounds like you had an eventful flight. Glad to hear all is OK now.

About the 240 in ITA. I have a well built one. Bought it built which brings up the problem of not knowing how something was done previously. However, with a basic .040 rebuild, the car is very fast and competitive. (4 NER races this year..1 win...2 3rds and a 7th after a vacuum leak issue..qualified on front row for each race (1 pole)).

I am also selling it. Email me for details @ mazdaracing17 (at) yahoo.com.

Jeremy

ITAMiata
07-15-2005, 02:13 PM
OK, no need to worry about me in a Baby Grand. After going over the car I will need a new radiator, new seat, new belts and new shocks (destroyed all four). Oh, and a new donor car. I already have the radiator, and Dave is going to set me up with new belts and a seat. I'm still working on the donor car, but spoke to Mitch about a cage, and the guy who is going to build the car for me thinks he can have a new one ready for me to go by MARRS VII if I can get a donor car ready for him when he is done with MARRS VI. So, assuming a car can be obtained, and a cage put in (and the shocks get here in time) you will all see me out there in my very own new 1.6 liter for MARRS VII!

If I can find one I'm going to put a George of the Jungle sticker on the new car.....

Bill

dickita15
07-15-2005, 02:48 PM
bill, bill, bill of the jungle friend of you and me.
http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

mgyip
07-15-2005, 03:14 PM
OK, no need to worry about me in a Baby Grand.

Shucks - I was going to sell tickets to watch you get in and out of a Baby Grand...

Too bad about the suspension but at least you now know what's good and what's bad. How did the rest of the driveline fare?

ITAMiata
07-15-2005, 03:30 PM
Well, everything under the car looked OK, but I guess I'll know for sure when the they begin to pull things out of the old car and out them in the new car. The headers and exhaust were still intact. I couldn't believe that. Damn things break EVERY year at VIR and yet survive that wreck. Amazing.

JamesB
07-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Maybe you have enough welds ont he exhaust that its now indestructable