PDA

View Full Version : Production or GT?

jhooten
07-02-2005, 10:47 AM
If your IT car was also classed in Production and GT, and you got a wild hair which made you think you may want to go to the run offs once before you ended your club racing career, which would it be?

Doesn't mean you would be able to win if you went, just to go for the experiance of having been there, done that. Of course a medal would be an enhancement to the experiance.

Banzai240
07-02-2005, 10:57 AM
If you are talking about taking a street-based car, and building either a Production or a GT car from it, then it's a no brainer... Production...

In GT you will be up against purpose-built, fully tube-framed, engineered race cars... Production is more like IT cars taken to the next step, and is meant to be a place for further developement of ordinary production cars...

HOWEVER... depending on the car, you might find it more cost effective to go buy someone's used GT car than to try to convert an existing car to the Production rules...

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

jhooten
07-02-2005, 12:09 PM
And there in lies the problem. My car is classed in ITS and GT2 only. Considering that the average starts in GT2 in our division is 1.67. So I could put in a fuel cell, fire system, and foot bars on the cage to make it GT legal and run a few races and still be in the top ten in the division thus qualifying for the run offs. Or I can send VTS sheets to request classification as a limited prep Production car and but in a fuel cell, fire system, and foot bars on the cage and go production racing in a class with an average of 6.33 and run the whole season to get enough points to be in the top ten.

I know the option for another car is there but I like my hunk-o-junk. And I know its personality.

ddewhurst
07-02-2005, 02:51 PM
***run a few races and still be in the top ten in the division thus qualifying for the run offs.***

No flame or slam at you jhooten but your repeated statement above is the sad thing that has happened to the Runoffs. 10 cars invited from each class from each division so that there are enough cars to somewhat present a race group. When the Runoffs were the RUNOFFS there were 3 cars from each division invited IIRC.

Have Fun http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
David

dickita15
07-02-2005, 05:17 PM
there is a guy from texas, tom thrash, who used to run spec 7 I think, that built a rx7 ep car and because in the sw ep and gt3 ran in different race groups he qualified for the runoffs in both. While he was not a factor in gt it allowed him two sessions a day at ohio and shortened his learning cuve at the track a bunch.
dick patullo

jhooten
07-02-2005, 09:12 PM
David,

And the sad part is even if I had the car ready now and started doing national races I would still miss Mid-O. By the time I get around to it they will be at HPT.

jhooten
07-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Delete double

[This message has been edited by jhooten (edited July 02, 2005).]

ddewhurst
07-03-2005, 02:12 PM
I love the progress process of Tom Trash from Spec-7 to E Production. I happened to meet Tom in maybe year 2001 at a Regional race at Mid Ohio. He was there doing the school & the double Regional both classes with his E car. He took some interest in my car because it was a Spec-7. I had read about Tom on the Texas Spec-7 site & THEY ALL accused Tom of CHEATING saying anyone that fast has to be CHEATING. I wounder if that same bunch says Tom is cheating in E Production. I would hope they learned ther lession because Tom has 1st class cars & is one hell of a DRIVER. $hit, last year while twoing to the Runoffs the paint was drying on his newly built 1st gen E Production car.

Have Fun http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
David

ITANorm
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
His car is very competitive in E (won at Hallett last weekend) - less so in GT-3.

IMHO - the RX, as spec'ed - is too fast for E. Almost nobody is building anything else, because an E-legal rotary can (supposedly) put out over 220HP.

Bill Miller
07-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by ITANorm:
His car is very competitive in E (won at Hallett last weekend) - less so in GT-3.

IMHO - the RX, as spec'ed - is too fast for E. Almost nobody is building anything else, because an E-legal rotary can (supposedly) put out over 220HP.

Don't sell the Miatas short. Pratt Cole won the Runoffs in one last year, and John Brakke has won the June Sprints in one.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

mustanghammer
07-05-2005, 02:07 PM

Funny but if you talk to all of my buddies that run RX7's they will tell you that the Miata's are too fast as spec'd. Based on the last couple of Runnoffs I would say that their view wins out.

Based on the rules, it seems to me that you need a Miata or a second gen RX7 (with Tony Rivera driving) to win at the Runoffs in a Mazda.

JHooten,

With the Runoffs coming to HPT in 06 I am thinking the same thoughts you are. In the MiDiv GT2 is very soft. Hmmmmmmmmm

------------------
Scott Peterson
KC Region
IT7 #17

jhooten
07-05-2005, 03:00 PM
I just checked SWDiv's national points page. There are three drivers in GT2 with points. Wonder what my car would run on slicks and 800 pounds lighter.

Anybody got a used fuel cell and fire system they want to get rid of cheap?