PDA

View Full Version : Need a quality helmet bag......

Chris Wire
06-27-2005, 09:28 PM
I just got my helmet custom painted and I am in need of a good quality helmet/gear bag. A couple of things I am interested in having.

1. Fleece liner in a separate helmet storage compartment.
2. Secondary storage large enough for suit, gloves, shoes (maybe separate storage for them), and maybe some small pouches for license, etc.

Yeah I know, I'm kind of anal, but any bag I buy will likely last me for the next ten years, so why not get everything I want?

Help from the experienced masses is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]

JamesB
06-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Sounds like you want a gear bag and a fleece helmet sock.

jc836
06-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Check the SImpson catalog or talk to Helmet City. Both have bags that are lined and will hold both the helmet and a pair of gloves and glasses safely. My bag is the simple model with 2 zippers. I will suggest that you add a piece of soft fleece over the area of the helmet where the zippers close.
Since the helmet was custom painted, I will assume that there are numerous layers of clear. If you put it outside in the sun for a few hours this will help cure it. A good coat of wax after 30-45 days will also protect the finish.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

Chris Wire
06-28-2005, 09:40 PM
I may have to do the gear bag/helmet sock route, but I thought I would ask around first.

The helmet was sprayed with multiple layers of Sikkens Xirallic pearl paints. The white pearl is especially impressive as it eliminates the traditional "yellowishness" of white pearl paints common on automobiles. The helmet will sit untouched for another six weeks and will be waxed and stored far from the kids! Heck, I might even be another second faster on the track!

Hopefully by then, I will have found the helmet/gear bag I'm looking for.

jc836, thanks for the tip on the zippers.

------------------
Chris Wire
Team Wire Racing
ITS Mazda RX7 #35
[email protected]