PDA

View Full Version : Officially a pro racer now...,

zooracer
05-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Well it's official. I've finally acheived the rank of professional race car driver.

I just received a check from the Carolina Cup pro series for 33 dollars and change for my first place finish at CMP earlier this year.

I actually got second, first wasnt registered with CCPS, and there were only three cars total in ITB, but I'm not letting this steal any of my glory.

I think I will get it framed and placed on the garage wall...wait a second, I cant do that, as every spare freakin cent goes into this damn addiction.
Anyways, I was wondering if there is a forum out there for us "pro" racers, as I dont think I can associate with all you "amatuer"' racers anymore http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

You know, I told myself I wouldnt let the fame go to my head when this happened http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/rolleyes.gif

Greg Amy
05-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Better get a lawyer and an accountant on retainer...

zooracer
05-20-2005, 10:44 PM
yes, and my accountant says I'm still in the red http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/frown.gif
these checks are going to have to get a lot bigger if I'm going to make a living at this...

Ron Earp
05-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Dang, we went to school together and you've already broken out into the big time! I've been left behind already, man, down and out. Don't spend all of that in one place!

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

JeffYoung
05-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Zoo, if at all possible, you sould run all CCPS races in a season. If you finish in the top 3 in points, you get a decent payout at the end of the year (based on the number of cars in your class). I think there were 6 S cars, I finished 3rd and got about $200. First place Spec M got a $1000 I think.

Not bad to get paid something for having fun.

Knestis
05-21-2005, 10:48 AM
The IRS, DoJ, and Homeland Security watch these threads for documentation to use when you get audited. Make sure you declare that...

K

BUMPnGO
05-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Wow! You can celebrate by filling half the tank on the tow vehicle, or change the oil on the car if you hurry!!!

Daryl DeArman
05-21-2005, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by zooracer:
I think I will get it framed and placed on the garage wall...wait a second, I cant do that, as every spare freakin cent goes into this damn addiction.

Do what I did when I turned 'pro' 15 years ago and also needed every spare cent for the car: Color copy the check, cash it and frame the copy!

I've since advanced beyond the various pro series to amateur hobby level vintage racer.

zooracer
05-21-2005, 02:08 PM
yes, I plan to run as many of these CCPS races as possible. I dont understand why more people dont run it?
The turn out seems pretty low.
I mean, the run time is like 45 min. and there is a chance of coming away with some money, so why isnt it more popular?
Anybody going to Lowes in June?
matt

Ron Earp
05-21-2005, 03:36 PM
I've asked that question too. Lots of time, and some actual money. Might be why they are going to do a trial event with NASA for no points, the SCCA sort of crowds them out I think.

I've run every one I could, only missed one due to fire, but I plan to run the one next weekend at CMP and at Lowe's if I've got a car.

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
White Jensen-Healey ITS
Silver "Skull" 260Z ITS

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited May 21, 2005).]

Mark LaBarre
05-21-2005, 03:39 PM
You realize now that you've earned money from this venture, you'll need a comercial Drivers license to tow your car to the track.

But, you can probably show a loss on your racing and be able to deduct the expenses!

P.S. Now that your a pro, maybe you can get an Isaac for free, because they'll get so much exposure.

[This message has been edited by Mark LaBarre (edited May 21, 2005).]

zooracer
05-21-2005, 05:01 PM
yes, the phone has been ringing off the hook from potential sponsors. I have to turn half of them away...
I wont be making CMP, but will definitely be at Lowes.
See ya there

racer-025
05-21-2005, 08:50 PM
zooracer,

do you need drivers now? I race for beer...