PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the car clean at the track

Wayne
04-28-2005, 12:47 PM
I like to try and keep the car clean and presentable during the coarse of the weekend. Depending on the weather and what else needs fixing this can be a challenge.

The only thing I've really used is one of those floppy duster thingies. This works, but only if it is a light cover of dust. Often times the dirt is thicker and this just spreads it around, or has no effect.

This issue is particularly tough when you've been out on a wet or partially wet track. Obviously washing the car with water is not an option (at least in my situation). So, what do you guys do to keep the car clean at the track? Is there some sort of cleaner I can apply to a dry car that will clean but not scratch up the paint?

Bonus question: How do you keep the car when it sits in your paddock overnight between race days. Put it back in the enclosed trailer, put it on jack-stands, leave it on the ground???

Thanks
Wayne

Bill Miller
04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Wayne,

I put my car up on stands and put a car cover over it.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

murphyd
04-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Amsoil Miracle Wash does wonders for a track dirty car. As for overnight, if possible I like to leave the car as close to ready for the next morning as possible. If tires are an issue due to weather or whatever, we leave the car on stands until the decision is made. Also, this gives you the opportunity to check for leaks or other problems that may have developed overnight or that you may have missed due to fatigue, alcohol, impatient spouse, etc.

------------------
David Murphy
Murphy Motorsports
ITS 240sx
www.murphymotorsports.net

racer14itc
04-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Not sure why you can't wash it with water? Will it melt? http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

I use 5 gal buckets filled with water as tie downs for my 10x20 canopy. (2 per pole). During the weekend, I periodically use a bottle of lexan window cleaner (a few drops of ivory dishwashing soap in a spray bottle filled with water), spray on the car, rinse it off with a sponge wetted in one of the buckets and a quick towel or chamois dry and you're good to go.

MC

Ron Earp
04-28-2005, 01:34 PM
You guys have time to clean cars?

Clearly you are doing something wrong.

However, as a hypothetical exercise, assuming I had time to clean a car between fixing English things that break all the time, I'd use one of those good spray on/wipe off waxes you can find just about anywhere. Also, a insect repellent sprayer filled with water and a little soap is a handy thing to have at the track.

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS
1/2 a 260Z ITS

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited April 28, 2005).]

racer14itc
04-28-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by rlearp:

However, as a hypothetical exercise, assuming I had time to clean a car between fixing English things that break all the time, I'd use one of those good spray on/wipe off waxes you can find just about anywhere. Also, a insect repellent sprayer filled with water and a little soap is a handy thing to have at the track.

I try to find the time, in between helping out my friends who race British prod cars! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Action Digital/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme VW Scirocco

x-ring
04-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Call me paraniod if you will, but after a car and trailer were stolen from a vintage race at Second Creek Raceway last year, I'm inclined to put the car in the trailer, put one side of the trailer on jackstands, and remove and lock two trailer wheels inside.

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

lateapex911
04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
I leave my car under its tent and a car cover overnight. Most people, including other RX-7 owners couldn't start it anyway! Not to mention i doubt anyone would risk even a petty theft arrest for it! LOL

Griots Garage "Speed Shine" does the trick for me spray on, wipe off...no diswashing detergent though...it strips all the waxes etc off. A well waxed car deflects side to side contact better, you know... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
04-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I stop at the coin-op when I drive the race car home or to the hotel. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

K

04-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I always carried at least one bottle of Dri-Wash with me to the track. Cleaned the car with it, and used it on the windows instead of Rain-X..... works great on glass, and doesn't "smear" when you do need to use the wipers. Used it on the inside of the glass too to cut down on fogging.

Downside is, it's not cheap.

Geo
04-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by rlearp:

Actually, one of the first things I learned when I started racing karts is cleaning between track sessions is very important. It get's you looking everything over very closely and can uncover various problems that may not be apparant. Unless I have specific issues with the car that need immediate attention, I try to clean everything between sessions.

It's not just a matter of being pretty. It's a matter of knowing your car, finding problems, an just getting the crud off to make it easier to see things/work on things.

[edit] God I need to proof read better when I'm tired.
------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

[This message has been edited by Geo (edited April 29, 2005).]

Daryl DeArman
04-28-2005, 11:01 PM
Eagle1 wax as you dry or something like that works really well to keep it looking decent from 100' at 100mph.

I haven't found anything as effective at removing rubber from the paint as WD40.

Overnight, I put the car on jack stands under a very secured EZUP to try to keep it semi-weather proof. On jack stands so the tires aren't out of round until they are up to temp.

Stay at the track in an RV attached to the trailer so it's not going anywhere unless they take me with it.

Lastly, I understand keeping it looking decent and clean...but not at the expense of other things.

Between sessions I: 1)get changed out of my suit 2)fix anything that needs fixing 3)adjust anything that needs adjusting 4)check the lugs, put more fuel in it, put it on the trickle charger (no alt) 5) relax

If after I have done all of the above I have time to clean. I give it a once over.
Last thing before being called to pregrid I check air pressures.

A friend always is clean, clean, and clean some more. After the car is clean then they address other issues and often run out of time to tend to other more important things. Car looks good, but often doesn't improve much over a weekend. Hey whatever works for them...

MMiskoe
04-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Be careful, many racecars don't run right if too much attention is spent on appearance!

Greg Amy
04-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Wash-Wax All. I use it on both the race cars and my airplane (which is tied-down outside). Works great on tar, bugs, etc...

http://www.washwaxall.com/

Wayne
04-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MMiskoe:
Be careful, many racecars don't run right if too much attention is spent on appearance!

Isn't that the truth, I found that out this last weekend. I had won the race the day before after struggling all morning trying to find the best tire pressures on a new type of tire I was using. I spun out in qualifying, incar camera came loose, got called for being over sound etc.

Finally tried one last set of pressures for that afternoons race and the car was great. Won the race, set fast lap, improved my personal best by 1.5 seconds etc.

Flash forward to Sunday, I was feeling pretty good about the upcoming race. So much so that I skipped practice and had a nice leisurely morning getting the car ready for qualify and race. I actually had time to get it all nice and clean. Qualified outside row one.

That afternoon I had a nice clean car, good starting spot, my wife had the 400 lens on our dslr and was positioned track-side, steward said the WOULD be victory laps allowed this day. Yep, feeling pretty good... everything seemed to be in alignment...

The green flag drops, I mash the throttle, and,.... wait for it..... the throttle cable breaks where it is attached to the pedal.

nice

that's racin' I guess (I hate it when people say that)

emwavey
04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
A quick wipe with windex... who needs wax?

tophe7d
05-01-2005, 03:53 PM
My dad is pretty anal when it comes to making the car look good. I guess I'm luchy that way because while I'm doing all of the maintenance and prep work, he's Simple Greening the car down. The only thing I make sure to clean before a race are the windows. Gotta be able to see! As for the overnight set-up, I prep the car for the next day and start attaching tie downs from the Canopy to the wheels on the car. That trick has allowed me to survive a couple of nasty thunder/hail storms with the car, canopy and overall set-up still in one piece. And with the car formally preped for the next day all I have to do is set the pressures and go!!! Makes for an easy and relaxing morning.

------------------
#70 ITA, Signs Now
'88 Acura Integra
Keep an eye on the right rear!

Wreckerboy
05-02-2005, 11:54 AM

What the devil are you doing anywhere NEAR anEnglish car with water? Tempting the fates?

Tom Donnelly
05-02-2005, 01:07 PM
[quote]

Anytime I did something purely cosmetic to my car, something broke so I quit doing it.
And I never had time during a race weekend anyhow.

Tom Donnelly
ITS 240z

Joe Harlan
05-03-2005, 12:27 AM
Mcguires quick detailer gets the rubber marks off and shines the car nice.

I leave the car on the ground (too many snoopy eyes) under a car cover. If the track isn't real secure I put it in the trailer.

Joe

whenry
05-03-2005, 09:31 AM
One of the best stress-relievers I know before a race is to spray down the car with windex and wipe off each panel. A spray bottle of somewhat diluted windex seems to work best and is cheap.
I keep the car on jackstands between sessions unless there is a real quick turnaround so that tires and brakes can be checked(I started racing with RX3's and they needed constant maintenance to be fast)and do a quick bolt/nut check at the end of the day. You quickly learn which ones tend to loosen and to watch.
Hopefully this is all preventive maintenance and you will have time to watch or help someone else flail away at their car, regardless of national origin.

OTLimit
05-03-2005, 10:28 AM
(laughing very hard and wondering how if a clean car goes faster then a dirty car).

If the windshield is clean, Chris will drive it. That is the only thing he is picky about. Otherwise it has to get pretty bad at the track before HE worries about it. But they always get a good bath and wax before the ARRC or the Runoffs. (Don't look under the hood; most of you would be appalled at his lack of concern about aesthetics)

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

David Reiter
05-03-2005, 11:56 AM
If dirty car were slow I would be able to get close to Chris's times. But I don't think it makes a differnce Chris is always fast.

Richy Gonzalez
05-03-2005, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Joe Harlan:
Mcguires quick detailer gets the rubber marks off and shines the car nice.

Me too.

------------------
Richy Gonzalez
GB Racing<A HREF="http://groups.msn.com/TheGonzalezFamilyRichySheilaandNyah/projectitacrx.msnw" TARGET=_blank>
#24 ITA CRX For Sale LOW PRICE $7000.00</A>
LAMIN-X Protective Films (http://www.lamin-x.com)

Daryl DeArman
05-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by whenry:
...do a quick bolt/nut check at the end of the day. You quickly learn which ones tend to loosen and to watch.

Toque Seal...a $3.00 tube and you can visually nut and bolt all the important stuff in less than a minute.