PDA

View Full Version : Interested in trying an asphalt stage rally?

wvonkessler
03-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Here's a chance to see what it is like racing on a public road (albeit closed to traffic).

Road permissions have been granted for and Rally Tennessee is scheduled for Labor Day Weekend (September 3-4, 2005) and will be based out of Dixon, Tennessee (just west of Nashville). It is a 100% asphalt (tarmac in rallyspeak) event, which means that your vehicle will not need a gravel suspension, or the other niceties that a car needs to run on traditionally loose surfaces, such as a skidplate, underbody protection, etc. Special (timed) stages will be approximately 120 miles over 2 days.

Licensed road racers from various sanctioning bodies, including the SCCA, will be eligible to compete along with the licensed rally drivers. Eligible vehicles must street licensed and meet minimum insurance requirements. They also must be closed roofed, have a welded or FIA specification bolt-in cage with sidebars, and be able to seat both a driver and navigator. The event will be run using pace notes, so a rally odometer will not be an absolute requirement. However, an intercom system is strongly recommended and motorcycle type intercom systems are available relatively inexpensively. NASA membership is required, but NASA Rally Sport licensing will be waived for competitors holding credentials from other organizations.

For more information, visit www.nasarallysport.com (http://www.nasarallysport.com)

Regards,

Wilson

Daryl DeArman
03-09-2005, 01:00 AM
Sounds like a blast

racer-025
03-09-2005, 08:05 AM
If you want to do this type of thing on a high level, check out www.targanewfoundland.com (http://www.targanewfoundland.com)
1600 miles, 40 stages and 5 days of competition. It really doesn't get any wilder than that!

We raced it in 2003 & 2004. Class winners in 2003 and 8th overall.

Knestis
03-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Wilson has already heard from me but for the rest of you, I'm already commited to Rally TN with the Golf. Can't wait!

K

racer-025
03-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Good Stuff Kirk! You'll have a blast of a time. Its an amazing event. Targa class I presume? Modified or stock? Are you going to drive or navigate? throw us some details. If you would like any info, just ask.

BTW, our Regional Race 5 will be the very next weekend (after the Targa event). You have to drive by the track on your way home anyway (Nova Scotia); why not race your ITB Golf in our event?

wvonkessler
03-09-2005, 02:22 PM
I've been wanting to Targa Newfoundland since its inception, but the time committment of 10 days is just real tough to do. Very jealous about anybody who is competing in it.

Wilson

Knestis
03-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Ooops. Clarification - "Rally TN" is "Rally Tennessee," not "Rally Targa Newfoundland."

That's going to happen down the road a bit. I watched the coverage this past week and still want very badly to do it but I'm going to do 120 miles first...

K

racer-025
03-09-2005, 04:22 PM
LOL...so I guess I'll take you off of our Regional Race 5 event list http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

Knestis
03-17-2005, 07:15 PM
The organizers continue to work to make it easy for road racers to cross over and do this. If you have ANY interest, you should look into it.

K

lateapex911
03-18-2005, 10:31 PM
I am veeery interested. Getting a co driver might be tough, but at least there is time. But, the website has no current info. How do we know what classes will exist, the schedule, etc, etc, etc?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Knestis
03-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Post a "codriver wanted" note at specialstage.com for that issue. I understand that there will be more info coming as soon as the Cherokee Trails event is over this weekend.

K

wvonkessler
03-23-2005, 02:29 PM
The website should be updated within the next couple of weeks. Our webmaster is on vacation in Mexico. www.rallytennessee.com (http://www.rallytennessee.com)

Regards,

Wilson

byron12
03-27-2005, 06:27 PM
i am here in chattanooga tn i don't find much time to look on the internet. if you guys are interested in running this rally event down here ,and need a co driver i would be interested.
drop me an e-mail at [email protected]