PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Sunglasses

Greg Amy
03-04-2005, 11:30 AM
I'm looking for a good pair of sunglasses to use while racing. I have some basic priorities:

1) Lenses: Optical quality, excellent UV filtering, optimal anti-glare, shatterproof, durable. No polarized lenses (I use an LCD display in the car).

2) Frames: small enough to fit through a small eyeport and inside a helmet, large enough to effectively cover the sight area without creating blind spots. Earpieces should be minimal so as not to create discomfort around the temples and ears.

My preferred daily-driver glasses are Serengeti; I use their Drivers lenses with the Large Aviator frames. Based on my satisfaction with the lenses, I'm giving preference to simply finding an appropriate frame and continuing to use Drivers lenses, but I'm open to alternatives.

I have no price limit, I'm looking for good optical quality.

Thoughts?

Geo
03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
How about some Oakleys?

http://oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/

I'm getting a precscription pair for running.

They meet all of your criteria. The non-prescription are pretty reasonably priced. Many styles to choose from. Most do a really good job of covering your field of view.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

mlytle
03-04-2005, 12:36 PM
i have a perscription pair of oakleys too. outstanding.

Catch22
03-04-2005, 02:13 PM
I use the good old fashioned Oakley M Frame style. The type often used by baseball outfielders.

They slide straight into my helmet (Bell SR Pro) and completely cover my eyes while being snug enough to actually keep flying dirt and such from blinding me. They end up functioning kind of like goggles.
They are impact resistent as well, and I believe actually carry some sort of protective impact rating as eye protection.

ilateapex
03-04-2005, 03:10 PM
How about some good old safety glasses? UV protected, Poly Carb lens, light weight, desposable. They come in many different styles. Go to your welding supply house or safety store.

Michael

lateapex911
03-04-2005, 03:23 PM
After days spent searching I decided on REVOS...the view is as though it was a picture shot on Kodachrome.

Plus they actually darken, something many glasses really don't do much of.

I do think they are polarized though, but,as you may recall I too have a similar data display, and I haven't had any issues with legibility.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

evanwebb
03-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Hey Greg, I have had few pairs of "decent" sunglasses, I used to have Ray-Bans but my current and all-time favorite is from Oakley, very nice optical quality and good fit. But probably you will decide on fit and comfort by going to a couple stores and trying on a few dozen pairs; head shape seems to matter a lot. It seems like most sunglasses are *not* polarized since I have had a hard time finding the polarized ones before...

gsbaker
03-04-2005, 05:09 PM
How about the old military aviator shades? Not the ones with the big teardrop-shaped lenses, but the later version with smaller lenses.

I have an old pair somewhere. Excellent optics.

G

chuck baader
03-04-2005, 06:16 PM
I did love my Oakley sweeps, even in prescription. Only problem when I went to bifocals Oakleys are not available. I, instead, bought a good pair of Poloroid bifocals that would fit under my helmet...took it with me to the glasses doctor.

------------------
Chuck Baader
#36 ITA E30 BMW
Alabama Region Divisional Registrar

Nigel Stu
03-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Nike.

I have a pair, forgot the name (I can check if you need me to) That fit very well inside my Bell M3 (glasses don't get pinched by foam), good looks, grippy rubber nose piece (keeps the glasses from vibrating) straight earpieces, light. On top of all of that, the lenses are interchangable. Mine came with a normal black lense, some 'iridium blue' type and some orange ones. The black and blue are much like a normal sunglass, the orange would be similar to shooting, driving or ski lenses. I actually use these the most, even in bright sun. tends to sharpen the view, especially on overcast days. Plus peole look at you and say "wow, look at those weird lenses. he must be cool!"

http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

SilverHorseRacing
03-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Oakleys I always found scratched too easily. My vote goes to Costa Del Mar. I've got two pairs, and couldn't be happier. I wear them inside my helmet, and can see my LCD without any issues. I also wear them while normal driving here in FL, and only on really odd viewing angles with off-angle lighting do I have any problem seeing something like my phone's display (since they are polarized.)

Just my .02.

------------------
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com (http://www.SilverHorseRacing.com)

Bryan Watts
03-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Best driving glasses and lenses I've owned are/were Maui Jims...noted, they are pretty expensive.

lateapex911
03-04-2005, 10:55 PM
I'll vouch, the jims are pretty good.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

dyoungre
03-05-2005, 10:35 AM
My Maui Jims are polarized. Great clarity, but don't meet the criteria.

I race with both the Maui Jims and Oakley T Wire Iridium (amber).

Oakley Clarity is great, and the straight bows slide right in. The lense is wide but fairly short, so sweat doesn't tend to drip down. Yes, they got scratched. Oakley does now sell replacement lenses.

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61

Bill Miller
03-06-2005, 10:12 AM
I've worn Serengetti Drivers for years. Best product out there, IMHO.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

mlytle
03-06-2005, 10:24 AM
must be that not all oakleys scratch easily. mine have been used for 10 years for skiing, sailing, racing and daily wear with zero scratches. they have oakley glass lenses.

going to a wider eyeport helmet opens up the glasses options..

polarized glasses do work with lcd displays, just don't tilt your head sideways.. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by mlytle (edited March 06, 2005).]

MMiskoe
03-06-2005, 10:53 AM
Get a pair w/ ANSI rated safety lenses. No point in risking a pc of something sharp in your eye.

Plus you can get them in just about any style and for way less money than designer glasses so when it starts to rain you throw them on the floor of the passengers side and don't care.

whenry
03-08-2005, 09:42 AM
Nikon lenses are incredible but the price is extremely high.
I found that I prefer the high quality face shields and no sun glasses. One less thing to aggravate or distract. I surrender my shades at the 5 min warning to my crew chief(otherwise known as spouse) and get them back as soon as I come off the track so you see how addicted I am to my shades.