PDA

View Full Version : Seat Available - NASA 3.5 Hour VIR Next Week

Knestis
02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
I'm going to take one more shot at finding someone who'd like to do half of the "enduroissimo" at VIR, Feb 19-20. It would be pretty cheap seat time.

Email me - kirk.knestis(a)evaluand.com

K

zooracer
02-10-2005, 11:02 PM
I would do it except for the following...
1. I'm a newbi road racer with little experience on track (with four wheels anyways...)
2. My first race out of school is that very weekend at CMP

Dont know how you feel about different levels of skill/experience, but in the future if the dates dont collide, I will be responding to your requests. I always welcome new experiences in different types of cars.
matt

zooracer
02-10-2005, 11:07 PM
oh, and I'm a pretty safe driver on track. In that I dont take too many risks, time my passes safely, and rarely put a wheel off. I can thank autocross experience for a certain level of accuracy with my line, braking, turn in points, etc..
Never been to VIR either, but I've heard it's a great track.
matt

Ron Earp
02-10-2005, 11:09 PM
I'd be more than willing to do it as well, but, my first race is at CMP too. Folks that want or need people to share driving please make sure you post - there are lots of us out there that would give it ago.

Of course, Matt and I might not be the best candidates since we were in school together and new, but hey, we're enthusiastic and willing!

Matt you are CMP with the red/black car next weekend? I'll be down as well with a silver Z with some other fellows, black 39 Miata will be there as well as a TR8 in our corner.

Ron

------------------
Ron Earp
http://www.gt40s.com
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS
My electrons don't care if they flow through OEM wires, do yours?

Ron Earp
02-10-2005, 11:12 PM
So what you are trying to say is you "Drive it like you built it/paid for it" instead of "Drive it like you stole it" ? Good plan.

R

------------------
Ron Earp
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS

Jeff 32 its
02-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Kirk if you are interested I sent you an eamil with my phone numbers. I can fly out Friday and come back on sunday if you are interested. Jeff

Knestis
02-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Check your mail, Jeff.

K

zooracer
02-14-2005, 05:32 PM
hey ron, I will be at CMP with a black swift (all black) in ITB.
I will look for you and manny and some others I've met.
Looks like rain, so I will be slow with my kumho's, no LSD, and no rain tires. But should be fun nevertheless.
matt

Ron Earp
02-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Rain, that is not good. If it works out I'll be driving the Z car that has a welded diff and Jeff will be in the TR8 - both are torquey and I don't think will be that happy in the rain....I've got rain tires but it will still suck.

------------------
Ron Earp
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS

Knestis
02-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Looks like I'm going to Iron Man the NASA enduro on Sunday and (sorry, guys) I'm doing my rain dance full speed ahead. I hope that it's wet enough that I decide to unbolt my rear ARB.

K

JohnRW
02-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
Looks like I'm going to Iron Man the NASA enduro on Sunday.
K

Good. We'll have our own little "Iron Man" class championship. What's the winner get ?

Knestis
02-15-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm in for a beer, since it's at the end of the day.

K

OTLimit
02-15-2005, 03:32 PM
Kirk,
I specifically did NOT tell Chris about your post.

There was a very good reason.

And now rain? He would have been tickled.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

JOESELLSVW
02-16-2005, 08:44 AM
Count me in for the Iron Man special! I did it two years ago, and I'll do it again. I'm bringing beer to bribe potential crew people! Is the forcast still calling for rain, it was 40% chance yesterday... Joe

JohnRW
02-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by JOESELLSVW:
I'm bringing beer to bribe potential crew people!

Does that mean the 'Otto' twins (Gerry & Sean) haven't resolved their gearbox issues ?

We've got about 6-7 enduro cars that are sharing pits...Cobetto is going to assign us a block of adjacent pits. Let's see...Golf...3.5 hours...that's one pit stop and no tires, if you behave yourself...you can probably squoze in with us...if you bribe us.

JOESELLSVW
02-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately the MINI racecar is going away. MINI gave us that car on a "show and display" permit from the Feds. The Man now wants the MINI out of the country or destroyed. While we tried our best, (with a little help from you John!)we couldn't kill the little car. It'll take another boat ride back home to England and hopefully be put to use there. As for the beer, Heineken and Yuengling ok? Joe

Knestis
02-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I think Joe and I should do a Hacker brothers routine, hook up nose-to-tail for the whole race, then fight it out on the money lap.

I'd LOVE to get in on that pit co-op if there's any way to work it.

K

JohnRW
02-17-2005, 10:30 AM
I think Joe and I should do a Hacker brothers routine, hook up nose-to-tail for the whole race, then fight it out on the money lap.

Don't you mean the 'wooden plaque lap' ?

I'd LOVE to get in on that pit co-op if there's any way to work it.

Find me at the track. Not sure how big the Politboro will allow the Five Year Plan to grow to, but we can probably arrange something. They were sold out based on pit slots, but a bunch of us agreed to 'buddy-up' so they could accept more entries. We can probably be persuasive.

White #88 SM, white dually, white trailer. White = the cheapest paint color at the auto parts store, by a long shot.

Knestis
02-17-2005, 01:07 PM
Waitaminute - SM? I bet a beer against a car that should be WAY faster than the Golf?

K

Edwin Robinson
02-17-2005, 10:40 PM
White #88 SM, white dually, white trailer. White = the cheapest paint color at the auto parts store, by a long shot.

Basically, what you're saying is that you not only plan on wrecking the race car- but the tow vehicle and the trailer as well?

Something in the water there in Rochester....

lateapex911
02-18-2005, 11:11 PM
John's from Rochester?? You have my pity

RIT Alum...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

JohnRW
02-22-2005, 03:13 PM
'Erwin' is from Syracuse, and regularly drinks from Onondaga Lake, home of 3-headed frogs and 'catfish from Hell'. He should talk...

Where the hell were you, Erwin ? Missed your smiling face at VIR this weekend.

JRW
(U of R alum...but used to spend summer nights at 'Ronnie's Subhuman Inn', @ the corner of Jefferson and East River Rd...watching the fistfights break out...)

Knestis
02-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Thanks again, John for your help this past weekend. One question though - did you happen to end up with my blue Proban cotton balaclava when we were done packing up?

K

EDIT - You didn't get your beer, by the way. I owe you.

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited February 22, 2005).]

JohnRW
02-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Haven't unpacked anything yet...didn't get home until about 5pm on Monday. Your buddy Clark handed me the helmet I loaned him, and I know there was something stuffed inside it, but I assumed that it was the gloves I gave him.

I'll check tonight.

I haven't even looked for results. We both need better weather forecasters. Rain tires were definately NOT the right set-up for the enduro.

Remember the yellow Honda hatch ? Didn't realize it, but he drove it all the way down from New Jersey (and back)...without a heater. You were probably the top finisher who drove it to the track, but the Honda gets the 'hard-headed street-fighter' award.

[This message has been edited by JohnRW (edited February 22, 2005).]

Knestis
02-22-2005, 08:47 PM
No kidding? That makes me look like a big
puss.

K

EDIT - results are at http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_Feb_05/event_results.htm

JLawton
02-23-2005, 10:07 AM

EDIT - results are at http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_Feb_05/event_results.htm[/URL]

WOW!! Nice job Kirk!! Are you sure you need the rest of us for Summit Point!! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

Knestis
02-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I was looking again at the results and determined how close I actually was behind the class-winning Bimmer. Evidence that one needs to stay sharp for the entire race in addition to just being present.

41 seconds after 3-1/4 hours of racing. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

K

Edwin Robinson
02-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
'Erwin' is from Syracuse, and regularly drinks from Onondaga Lake, home of 3-headed frogs and 'catfish from Hell'. He should talk...

Where the hell were you, Erwin ? Missed your smiling face at VIR this weekend.

JRW
(U of R alum...but used to spend summer nights at 'Ronnie's Subhuman Inn', @ the corner of Jefferson and East River Rd...watching the fistfights break out...)

At least you could get it right- We regularly drink the three-headed frogs and eat the Catfish from Hell.

Much better than Nick Tahoes.....

~E.

lateapex911
02-24-2005, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
JRW

I vaguely remember some bar...or should I say a building..or should I say...errr nevermind....that served no bottles, not may cans, bit a lot of draft.

Anything you wanted as log as it was Genny!

The Red Creek stands out in my memory, and some band called "Duke Jupiter"? Oh...and Art Stocks Playpen North, where I was actually employed...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

JohnRW
02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Jake - you may not be old enough. The Subhuman Inn got 'dozed in the very early 80's...actually...it really didn't take a bulldozer to know it over...prolly just took a pickup truck with a snowplow blade. You could get a whole case of Rolling Rock ponies for about $6, and they threw it (carboard case and all) on the bar for you to tote back to your table.

Red Creek and The Playpen are long gone. Even the heavy metal-featuring Orange Monkey is a Chinese Restaurant now. Sniff.