PDA

View Full Version : New SCCA Entry Level Track Program

Greg Amy
02-19-2005, 12:18 AM
Did you folks catch the announcement this week on scca.org?

http://www.scca.com/News/News.asp?Ref=236

I think it's a great idea, about 5 year behined, but a good idea. What I find absolutely HILARIOUS is that the new "rulebook" for this activity (http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/05-SCCA-TTR.pdf) is already 54 pages long!!! Bwah-hah-hah-hah!

ShelbyRacer
02-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by GregAmy:
What I find absolutely HILARIOUS is that the new "rulebook" for this activity (http://www.scca.com/_Filelibrary/File/05-SCCA-TTR.pdf) is already 54 pages long!!! Bwah-hah-hah-hah!

Hey jerky, that's MY rulebook!

Keep in mind that that also covers all 4 levels (including what used to be Solo 1...) Also, I was tasked with "using the GCR as a starting point"...

I can assure you that our rules will actually get THINNER next year when I can trim the fat. They've granted us the freedom from being bound to the GCR.

And Greg, I'd actually look forward to honest and thoughtful feedback when you have a chance to read it...

BTW- did you actually read the post I made a few days ago where I linked to the rules?

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

(edited for punctuation)

[This message has been edited by ShelbyRacer (edited February 19, 2005).]

racer_tim
02-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Wasn't it called "Solo 1" in the past?

Just re-inventing the wheel, it looks like.

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

ShelbyRacer
02-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Yeah, some of it was Solo 1, which had a rulebook that hadn't been updated in years (last year's rules referred to the *98* GCR). Some of it was SCCA's HPCCC program. Some of it was a new pilot program that RMDiv tried out. The whole point is that now we're in a department that wants us, we have more to offer, and the whole thing is under one heading, making transitions easier.

I don't know that I'd call it reinventing, so much as polishing the wheel, putting a nice new tire on it, and making it so it fits something newer than a covered wagon...

Oh, and thanks for the support and positive feedback guys http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Matt Green

ShelbyRacer
02-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Oh, BTW- Greg-
My first reply wasn't near as annoyed as it sounded...

I was just trying to go on the defensive, since that seems like the trend around here... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif Really, I'm MUCH more offensive than defensive anyway...

------------------
Matt Green

Greg Amy
02-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Hey, Matt, I applaud the initiative! But you are no doubt aware, when one drops their Junior on the table near a meat cleaver...<grin>

You bet I'll be glad to offer insights when I get to reading it (it's downloaded, but...) In fact, if it's anything like the current crop of HPDEs from the likes of NASA, EMRA, ad nauseum, I'd even like to get involved somehow (I do like teaching, plus did you know I was a Solo 1 National Champion in SSA some time in the late 80s (1989, was it?)

And, no, I apparently missed your earlier reference. Sorry 'bout that.

lateapex911
02-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Just a general comment...

I REALLY like the concept..and the SCCA NEEDs to be involved.

I hope it can be done in a smooth user friendly way. I'll read over the stuff this week.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ShelbyRacer
02-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Cool, I'll look forward to the feedback http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

And Greg, I mentioned before (a while ago) that I'd love to chat with you sometime about your experiences in Solo 1 with the CSX. I am friends with a few people that know/knew you (some of the Shelby Dodge crowd) and I was happy to see you on this board when I first got on here. It being a small world and all, my original race motor in my car was based off the long block out of Chris Burns' Omni (with a poopload of work done to it of course...).

I really am looking forward to hearing from a few people on this board when they get the chance to read the TTR. As I mentioned, keep in mind that it will be significantly easier to read and navigate (not to mention shorter) next year, since we got permission to go as a complete stand alone with no more attachment to the GCR...

------------------
Matt Green

jimmy p
02-21-2005, 02:27 AM
Hey Matt,

I downloaded the rules and its all pretty cool. Hopefully now the events will folow (I'm talking specifically about track events not hills,,, Im not too interested in hills).

I aam curious though,,, this would haave seemed to me the perfect opportunity to pick one set of rules / classes and run with it instead of the confusing blend of Solo 2 rules AND Club Race rules.

I have long wondered why this was this way. The Solo classing seem to cover pretty much anything, as do the CR classing, so why not pick one and run with it?

Not bagging on the setup,,, but it just seems very confusing melding the two classing systems.
I'd say lets pick one or the other and then make it the TT classing system.
Thats just my take on it
Other than that, I say nice job,,, I agree with one of the other posts,,, its about 5 years too late, but glad its here.
Hopefully now that you have built it, the dates will come.
Cheers
jimmy pettinato
#98 BMW M3 - ITE

Bill Miller
02-21-2005, 07:19 AM
Matt,

I for one, would like to see a revitalization of the Solo I program. I have wondered for the past few years if it had been officially dropped. I think that having a defined path, to get people onto the track, initially w/ their street cars, is probably the single best thing we can do, to lure them to road racing. It's what did it for me, almost 20 years ago.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

x-ring
02-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Matt -

I already noticed one problem, or it's a problem to me anyway. Is the best way to contact you at the address on your web site (msquared(at)msquaredracing(dot)com)?

Thanks,

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

HBennett
02-21-2005, 12:27 PM
I printed a copy last week but I did notice a couple of things.

1. Driver restraint systems are good for up to 5 years. Does not reference SFI or FIA certifications.

2. It also references Section 20 but there is no section 20. I'm assuming that the copies of the rules being distributed are not complete yet.

Thanks.

Howard Bennett
Racer Wholesale

ShelbyRacer
02-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by x-ring:
Matt -

I already noticed one problem, or it's a problem to me anyway. Is the best way to contact you at the address on your web site (msquared(at)msquaredracing(dot)com)?

Thanks,

Yes, if anyone wants to contact me, use the mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com address.

------------------
Matt Green

ShelbyRacer
02-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Jimmy-

We use the combined class structure in order to catch EVERYTHING possible. We pick up Street Mod and Street Prepared for the upper level stuff because, as some have pointed out, there are a LOT of holes in IT and other GCR classes. Basically, we've given a lot of freedom to class structure so that areas may choose the classes to address the competitors they have.

Bill, there still is a STRONG Solo 1 program (now L3 and L4 Time Trials) in NEDiv, generating 100 car entries at some events. We even run two weekends at the Jefferson course at Summit Point (Memorial Day and Labor Day).

Howard- Section 20 refers to the GCR (I know it gets confusing, and as I said, it will be fixed for next year). All the age limit thing does is override the GCR requirements for time, not the certification type. It basically means that now SFI belts are ALSO good for 5 years, pending a visual inspection.

------------------
Matt Green

Knestis
02-21-2005, 01:26 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at the text of the new package but like Greg, I'd be interested in doing some local liasing on the central Atlnatic coast if it's helpful.

K

wbp
02-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Matt, I have just finished a close reading of the new Time Trials Rules. I had no choice as I just signed a contract with Nashville Superspeedway to do a Track Trials on October 22, 23. Had to know what I was getting into!

Good job in my view. I particularly like the better alignment with Club Racing - using the same flags to indicate the same thing for example. Time Trials, especially Track Trials, is now in the position to actually serve as a feeder series for those that want to move to Club Racing. And that was accomplished with no downside to those who wish to stay with Time Trials only.

While working as a Steward this coming weekend at Road Atlanta, I will be working to get some of the racing workers involved in Time Trials. Alignment in the rules will help this effort.

jimmy p
02-22-2005, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by ShelbyRacer:
Jimmy-
We use the combined class structure in order to catch EVERYTHING possible. We pick up Street Mod and Street Prepared for the upper level stuff because, as some have pointed out, there are a LOT of holes in IT and other GCR classes. Basically, we've given a lot of freedom to class structure so that areas may choose the classes to address the competitors they have.

Thats kind of what I thought,,, here is the part that always confused me a little...
The transition, from Solo classes to CR classes which is Street Prepared and IT (which is where my car always fell it seems).

On my particular case I went from C/SP where the car was very competitive, then with adding a weld in cage and an interior removal went direct to ITE where,,, well,,, you know about ITE.

If all the Solo classes were in place (along with the CR ones) I could have gone into E Prepared and it would have still been competitive with the other cars in EP, but in just my particular case my car doesn't have any options in CR except ITE or GT2 (even worse).

So I'm not complaining,,, it was just in my particular case I kind of got stung by being one of those cars that was overprepared for Street Prepared and does not have a home in CR so straight into ITE it goes.

I always hoped since it was a Solo event, the Solo classing would take precedent. Thats just me being selfish more than anything.

I hope it takes off and we all have one more venue for Time Trialing on tracks.
Thanks again for all your work on this project.
Its much appreciated by those of us who love to Time Trial. Its long overdue for SCCA to get in the game.
Cheers
jimmy p.
#98 BMW M3 - ITE