PDA

View Full Version : Attention FWD 13x6 Wheel Users

Catch22
01-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Don't give up and jump to 14s yet and don't buy anything within the next month or so.

I'm getting a set of Superlite wheels to test on my ITC Civic. They are a Panasport/Minilite style wheel made in Australia. Weight is about 12lbs each. Cost is $120 each, which ain't bad at all.

The catch is that these wheels are a BMW 2002 fitment in a 23mm offset. BUT, I've had 25mm offset wheels on my Civic before with 225/45/13 Hoosiers and they absolutely positively DID fit.
So its going to be close, but I'm getting a set to try out because I think it will work. Once I determine that they will/won't work on a Honda I'll take some pictures and share the results. I also intend to try them on a Scirocco.

It takes about a month to get them from down under, so stay tuned for details.

------------------
#22 ITC Honda Civic
3rd Place 2004 ARRC
1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro

racer14itc
01-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Scott,

My first set of wheels on my ITC Scirocco was a brand new set of Superlites, in the 23mm offset. I had to throw the whole set of them away after a short while of IT racing because THEY CRACKED out of the bolt holes.

Spend the $$ and get a set of Panasports. They will last forever.

MC

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited January 01, 2005).]

seckerich
01-02-2005, 12:30 AM
I second Marks comments, I had to cut a set of slicks off because of the screwed up drop center on a set of these. Get a Panasports.

Catch22
01-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Too late. Already got a set coming.

Fortunately I managed to get this first set extremely cheap as a trial, so we'll see what happens.

Did the wheels you guys had have the steel inserts in the lug holes? These do.

racer14itc
01-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Catch22:
Too late. Already got a set coming.

Fortunately I managed to get this first set extremely cheap as a trial, so we'll see what happens.

Did the wheels you guys had have the steel inserts in the lug holes? These do.

Scott,

Yes, mine had the steel inserts. These wheels are fine for the street but are junk for the track.

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme/Tristram's Garage VW Scirocco
http://pages.prodigy.net/Scirocco14gp

Catch22
01-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Now you tell me.

Then again, they can't really be any worse than my 20 year old MSWs... Or can they?

Greg Gauper
01-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Probably safe to use for rain tires....

dave parker
01-03-2005, 10:11 AM
I can vouch for the longevity of the panasports. My wife Terri's Scirocco came to us with Panasports that I am prtetty sure were on it when Mark Coffin built it years ago. I was looking at all the race wheels this weekend and they looked fine.

cheers
dave parker
WDCR ITC#97

spnkzss
01-03-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm looking into Diamond Racing Wheels. They have spun steel that they can make with a 38mm offset. I've got 2 other guys going in with me and I think we are going to order 20 wheels @ about $70 a piece. They are kinda ugly NASCAR style wheels, but they are cheap.

Spanky
#73 ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

[This message has been edited by spnkzss (edited January 04, 2005).]

x-ring
01-04-2005, 10:04 AM
When you get those Diamond wheels could you let us all know how much they weigh?

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

racer_tim
01-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Ty, I've got a set of 13x7 Diamond's. They weigh 15 lbs each. I have to imagine that the 13x6 would weigh a bit less, but not sure how much less.

Yes your right, they are ugly

------------------
Tim Linerud
San Francisco Region SCCA
#95 GP Wabbit
http://linerud.myvnc.com/racing/index.html

spnkzss
01-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by x-ring:
When you get those Diamond wheels could you let us all know how much they weigh?

I asked that question and apparently they weigh about 15#. I will weigh them when I recieve them. The biggest problem (hold up) is I'm waiting for a price on a hubcentric to lugcentric adapter so I can balance these lugcentric wheels. My initial response from them is that for racing purposes you don't need to balance them due to the constant change in speed and not a lot of constant speed straight ahead driving. I can sort of understand, but I have something close to a 2500' straight away. That seems pretty constant enough for me (well besides the little acceleration I get in a ITC car http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif )

[This message has been edited by spnkzss (edited January 04, 2005).]

gran racing
01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
spnkzss, I guess I'm not following you here. Why can't you balance the wheel even with it being lugcentric?

I've been using lugcentric wheels for a while now and never had any issues with this.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

spnkzss
01-04-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by gran racing:
spnkzss, I guess I'm not following you here. Why can't you balance the wheel even with it being lugcentric?

I've been using lugcentric wheels for a while now and never had any issues with this.

I'm sorry, I guess I should have explained myself a little better. The balancer I have access to is a hubcentric balancer. I can take it to the track and have it bubble balanced or find someone with what I like to call the spider balancer, but it is easier for me to mount and balance my own tires at the shop I work on my racecar at.

jake7140
01-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by racer_tim:

Yes your right, they are ugly

Yes, but with a little creative paint they can look ok. I painted aluminum 'trim rings' around them, spray the hub aluminum and think they look classically cool. Pics on my site.

------------------
Steve
[email protected]
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
</A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
</A>

ShelbyRacer
01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Hope I don't get lynched for this, but

If anyone wants a REALLY light set of 13x7" 4 on 100 wheels (like 10lbs each), contact me direct. They ain't gonna go cheap, but they are REALLY light...

mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

Bill Miller
01-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by ShelbyRacer:
Hope I don't get lynched for this, but

If anyone wants a REALLY light set of 13x7" 4 on 100 wheels (like 10lbs each), contact me direct. They ain't gonna go cheap, but they are REALLY light...

mattgreen(at)msquaredracing(dot)com

Matt, if you really want to sell those wheels, try the classifieds on the Prod site.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

spnkzss
01-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I got an email back from Diamond Racing Wheels and they said they do not have a hubcentric to lugcentric adapter, but recommended a rotor. This won't work on the Honda's will it? I know I could pound some studs into the rotor, but a rotor doesn't care about being hubcentric, just lugcentric, correct?

JWiley
01-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Another wheel you might consider is Revolution. We have raced these classic 4-spoke wheels on a Midget for several years, and found them cheaper (and lighter) than Panasports. Now I'm afraid of the Superlites that we have (and have not used in the 3 years since buying them) on our rain tires!

James Wiley

wbp
01-06-2005, 07:35 PM
James, don't worry about the Superlites on the Midget. We used them for an actual 9000 racing miles on the Midget with never a problem. But the Midget is 1500 pounds equally spread onto four corners. A 2000 lb. FWD car with 2/3rds of that on the front wheels might be very different.
Bill Perry