PDA

View Full Version : IT "waiting period"

Bill Miller
09-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. It's always been there, but the discussions on how to bring new people and newer cars to IT caused it to bubble to the surface again.

Why do IT cars have to 'wait' 5 years before they can run? I can see where the rule came from, back when SS cars had a 5 year 'life span', but now that SS (and T) cars have a 10 year life span, what's the purpose of making the IT community wait 5 years to run a new car? There is no such restriction on Prod (and it doesn't make sense to even talk about GT, as they're all tube-frame anyway).

I would like to see the 5 year 'waiting period' on IT lifted.

Thoughts?

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Knestis
09-23-2004, 07:35 PM
If I only have to wait two weeks to buy a pistol, why do I have to wait 5 years to buy a racing car?

Actually a good question, Bill. This is the kind of issue that I'd think would be part of the strategic planning process. How's that going, by the way?

K

Mike Cox
09-23-2004, 08:20 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Knestis:
[B]If I only have to wait two weeks to buy a pistol, why do I have to wait 5 years to buy a racing car?

That's because you're much more dangerous in a race car.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

lateapex911
09-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Nice chuckle, Mike...

Back in the day.... (not that I was there~!) the IT category existed largely to make SS viable, easing the expense of an SS car by giving it a place to go to pasture, and thereby increasing its 'used' value.....

Now of course, SS isn't exactly huge, and the SS car that comes to IT is the exception rather than the rule. The original rulesmakers used SS performance as an indicator of classing potential, but again, that really means little today, as so many IT cars were never classified in SS.

I think that the cost to compete might be driven up if the rule was rescinded...and classing the car might be dicier with little practical knowledge of a brand new cars potential.

I would think that perhaps a two or three year waiting period would be more appropriate, but costs to compete at the front of the upper classes will rise slightly.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

apr67
09-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Knestis:
If I only have to wait two weeks to buy a pistol, why do I have to wait 5 years to buy a racing car?

Two weeks?? How about 3 days?

dickita15
09-24-2004, 08:25 AM
I don't know if 5 years is the right number but a little waiting perion does give the powers to be to understand the potential of the car better.
besides as someone who races a 23 year old car i can't imagine buying a new car for IT.
dick

Knestis
09-24-2004, 08:58 AM
If the system applies something - a non-formula http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif - that is based on physical attributes of cars, newness is less of an issue. Besides, PCAs *should* mitigate against any lack of understanding in the first year or two, about actual performance of a particular car.

I don't buy the "raising costs" argument, frankly. For about the millionth time, people are going to spend what they want to spend. If the car I start with costs $20,000 rather than $5000, and IF I could afford the first option but went cheap-o on the purchase of the original car, I'd just spend the difference on tires, more development, and a dozen other things.

Further, this argument sort of presumes that new cars will automagically be faster than old cars, "forcing" people to go to the dealer and shell out big $$ to stay competitive. With thoughtful classification, this is not a safe assumption, even if under the old paradigm, it was an arms race of sorts as new cars were added without a lot of consideration to what they might do to the balance of power.

The opportunity to run a NEW car might actually save some of us money. No local VW dealer wants to promote sales on his floor with a 1996 Golf but a 2005 model with the same modifications might well encourage him to cut loose some support $$.

K

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited September 24, 2004).]

x-ring
09-24-2004, 09:59 AM
No local VW dealer wants to promote sales on his floor with a 1996 Golf but a 2005 model with the same modifications might well encourage him to cut loose some support $$.

Interesting that you'd bring that up. I was just trying to find a Datsun dealer to hit up for some sponsorship money, but I seem to be having some trouble finding one. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Ty Till
#16 ITS
Rocky Mountain Division

924Guy
09-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Hah, you think that's hard, try finding a Triumph/BPSL dealer!!!

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com

joeg
09-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Or an Oldsmobile franchise!