PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Spanky, the Naked guy etc...MARRS 7

Bugeater
09-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Lol. I just had to put the nekkid guy in the subject line...

Would like to thank Improved Touring members and spanky in particular for all the help in getting me as best prepped to run MARRS and Summit Point this last weekend. Was really on the fence as to driving in the race with 51 in the field, as I never drove that track before the weekend started. Well, with the help of the tape (wouldnt have known to get it w/o ya'll) and some driving line advice I was able to hack out a qualifying position of 19th overall and 9th overall in ITE. There were 19 ITE cars! Cool stuff. During the race I was able to sneak by 6 cars to finish 13th overall and 7th in ITE. Very happy with the result, and had a real good time. I think with some good track time (less cars, more up to speed) I can get my times down from 1:24's to 1:21's pretty easy. I am currently a pussy in 3 and to an extent 4. Early apex 3 consistently. Uncharacteristic of my style, but it got me good this week.

Only regret was not being able to stay for Sunday, and watch nekkid people run around the carousel. I guess theres a "Group 10" that grids around 11pm...

Is there a tape of that you can buy from OG racing?

erlrich
09-07-2004, 09:54 AM
John - were you the white ITE Viper? That was a great looking/sounding car, really stood out in that field.

If it helps at all, I noticed that many of the faster GT1/T1/ITE cars seemed to almost "tiptoe" through 3, not even touching the curbing, as compared to the SM/SRX7/ITS-C guys that just thow it in as hard as they can and slide all the way out, using all of the curb (and then some).

Earl

Bugeater
09-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Earl,
Mine was a Silver/blue (I painted it the same as the 2004 VW toureg). I was the only Viper in the 400 car field. There was a White Panoz I was pacing for about 3 laps. It kinda looks like a Viper if you ask me...

Your assessment on 3 is correct for me especially. I "tiptoed it". Watched a few go off and spin during friday, and had to avoid
the White GT3 Cup once, and some yellow GT2 car another time cresting the apex. If I was experienced with the turn, and my goals were to try and compete for a wooden plaque, I would have hit it harder there, and also 10. I wasnt giving up too much in 4, as I smoked my brakes real good there around lap 10. I put one wheel off (rear passenger) on turn-in at 3 during the race and that made things interesting! That puckered me up good too. The fast guys in ITE (1:19-1:22) are probably real good there and the setup at 6 for the exit at 8. I know there is some serious time to be made down there. Even for a big pig car like mine.

I got to watch my group from the stands sat afternoon since I didnt race monday. It was real fun watching the group from the other side of the windshield. I really got a kick outta watching that ITE Civic (yes civic!) come barreling down the chute on 3 wheels!
Wanted to go say "hi" to that guy but never saw him after that. Summit really has some nice spots to watch the action on track.

mgyip
09-07-2004, 10:45 AM
I remember the Viper - you were paddocked in the woods with us (we were the folks with the Mini, an A1 Slorocco, 2 A2 GTis, an A3 GTi, a silver 240SX and the silver ITE CRX as well as the covered "food court"). Most of us front-drivers enter the chute on 3 wheels - apparenly my car is rarely ever on 4 wheels which is a good thing so that I can save money on tires http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Summit Point, while not the safest spectator track in the world, certainly gets you right on top of the action. Having been to many other tracks around the country, nothing has the same feel as Summit Point from a spectator's perspective.

spnkzss
09-07-2004, 12:38 PM
It was a pleasure meeting you up at the track. I have to say you are one of the most down to earth big bore people I've met.

Glad to see the naked guy has brought amusement to a wider group of people. We are trying to figure out how he is going to top this weekend next year. When they yell for naked girl and we send naked guy in a bra, thats kind of hard to top.

Look forward to see you at the track again sometime.

Spanky

PS. I will be negotiating with Parker on the Copyright to get a video of naked guy at OG ;P

Bill Miller
09-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Yeah, Turn 3 is definately one that you don't want to get in early on, I KNOW! The Chute has some major pucker factor going on, and when you do 10 right, it's a hell of a ride!!! Turn 10 is really important, as it determines your speed down the front straight. You can make time in 3 and 4, but 10 is the one to focus on first, followed by 9, the esses, and the carousel, in that order. Although, how you come out of the carousel dictates how fast you can be through the esses and 9.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

Kevin Truszkowski
09-08-2004, 12:46 AM
The chute really does have the pucker factor! I was the 67 ITA CRX that got about one second of air time while doing a complete 180.I was told that the car was high enough to clear the tire wall. What a ride!

Kevin Truszkowski
09-08-2004, 12:51 AM
By the way, Did anyone happen to video the flight? I'd love to be able to see it! Thanks in advance.

------------------
Kevin T. #69 ITA

mgyip
09-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Kevin Truszkowski:
By the way, Did anyone happen to video the flight? I'd love to be able to see it!

I know that Jim Sykes of Motorsports Imaging photographed your flight - he showed it to us on Sunday night while he was downloading pictures from his camera. Keep an eye on his website - www.motorsportsimaging.com (http://www.motorsportsimaging.com)

BTW - nice spin on Monday in 3 on the last lap. I arrived just as you'd stopped rotating and were facing in race direction. I was driving the General Li (#01 VW GTi) that was behind hounded by an RX-3 driven by a mad rocket scientist.

Thanks - I appreciate the position http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by mgyip (edited September 08, 2004).]

mlytle
09-09-2004, 12:38 PM
darn, i missed all the excitement due to being on a different section of the track...airborne 180's in the chute? yee ha!

marshall
the black/purple its bmw

mgyip
09-14-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Truszkowski:
By the way, Did anyone happen to video the flight? I'd love to be able to see it!

Jim Sykes has the entire sequence on his website - http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SCCA%20R.../IT/index_2.htm (http://www.motorsportsimaging.com/SCCA%20Racing/dbl%20marrs%2004/IT/index_2.htm)

Shameless plug for a friend - BUY his pictures, they're awesome.