PDA

View Full Version : Summit Point advice needed!

Bugeater
08-24-2004, 11:21 AM
Hey,
I am going to participate in the MARRS 7&8 races labor day weekend, and have never been to the track...I was wondering if there were any of you out there that could help me with tips on the track, paddock setup locations, places to stay by experience and places to avoid!

Does anyone have track video available that I could download?

Anyone have a writeup of the line around the track?

I will be running in ITE. Whats the competition like?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,
John

dave parker
08-24-2004, 01:05 PM
John,
Please read the supps very carefully. The labor day double is the DC Regions biggest event and the paddock gets very crowded. The track starts letting people into the paddock between 5 and 6 pm on Thursday. Get to the track early and get setup. Be willing to share space and get to know the people around you.
There is a list of hotel and motels in the area on page two of the supps. Charles Town WV. is the closest, but Winchester,VA. has the newer and nicer hotels.
OG Racing(1-800-934-9112) sells a video called Racing Summit Point that will not only show you which way the track goes but has some good instructional commentary on the racing line.
At this time it looks like there are 10 ITE cars registered. So you will have plenty of people to race with. ITE runs with the GT1,2,3 and AS group. Please check the DC Region website(www.wdcr-scca.org) in the MARRS section for the DC Region ITE rules. To insure that you show up with a "legal" ITE car.
If you have not run with the DC Region before you will need a Helmet Mounted Medical Information Carrier to get through tech. The medical information carrier is also available at OG Racing it costs $1.00.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

gran racing
08-24-2004, 01:27 PM
As Dave said, get there early!! Paddock space is at a premium. Jake F. and I went down there last year and got very, very lucky that someone was nice enough to save us a spot to share. Otherwise we'd have been pretty far away.

Definately worth the trip! The track is a blast.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

Bugeater
08-24-2004, 02:42 PM
You guys are great! I will be calling OG today to get the vid and helmet tag...

I ran with MARRS at VIR in June. It was pretty cool, I think there were 43 cars on grid and 35 or so finished. I finished 5th or 6th overall so I was VERY pleased! I was #65 in the Viper.

I suppose I will call Eurosport here locally (Virginia Beach) and see if anyone down here is going early and could save me a spot. I will end up getting there sometime later thursday night...does the track close gates anytime?

Again, really appreciate the help!

dave parker
08-24-2004, 04:11 PM
John
The gates do not close from Thursday night till Monday night. You will have to buy a refundable gate ticket($25 i think?)which you can turn in at SCCA registration for a refund.
If you cant find someone to save you a spot from Eurosport, we can make room for you if you don't mind paddocking in the grass. Let me know.
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

Bugeater
08-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Hey Dave,
Whats the paddock like? Is it gravel like VIR? If you paddock in the grass, where do you work on(jack) the car?

I just might take you up on the offer, assuming I can get an enclosed trailer parked, my and car in/out and a place to work on it...

erlrich
08-24-2004, 04:41 PM
John -

Dave didn't mention it, but OG Racing also runs a really nice shop at the track, and I'm guessing they will probably have all the stuff you're looking for there. Dave could fill you in on the store hours for that weekend. And I have a copy of "Racing Summit Point" on VHS I'd be more than happy to let you borrow if you'd like, just e-mail me ([email protected]) if you're interested. The video does a nice job of laying out the track turn by turn, but I still think its really hard to get a feel for some of the corners (particularly 3 & 4) without getting in some practice time. I'm sure that's true of any track though. I do see where they have an open practice day on Friday, that might be a consideration.

Good luck
Earl

zracer22
08-24-2004, 06:30 PM
John
Summit is one of the easiest tracks to learn. learning the track is second to how big of a pair you have! The line at Summit isn't hard to find. What's hard is convincing your right foot not to lift as you go down the chute and as you climb the curb exiting turn 10!

As others have said, get there early and be prepared to wait!

Bugeater
08-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Guys,
Thanks a bunch - Earl, I wish I saw your post earlier as I already bought the tape...should be here tomorrow!

If the chute is anything like the ball-checker the "uphill esses" are at VIR, I should be able to learn it http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

I plan to make the friday test-n-tne. If I couldnt, I would not stick myself on a track green. No way.

Zracer22,
What kind of car/speed are you entering these to "no lift" zones?

08-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Be thankful you have that curbing to climb exiting 10, when I last raced there in 95, there was only a 4-6 inch drop off into the dirt exiting 10. In fact, 8, 10, 3 and a few other spots on the track were still ground down, at least now you have decent pavement to run on. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

spnkzss
08-25-2004, 09:10 AM
It helps that they have cut the wall back in the shoot also. That way when you go too hot you atleast stand a chance.

John,
I agree with everyone else on here about getting there early. As long as you are there Thrusday, Friday (early Am/late Thursday night) you should be fine. The paddock has about 4 sections. The section that you enter has paved roads with grass paddock spaces on one side, paved on the other. Then there is back in the woods with gravel and grass. The last section in the back (where Parker is) is gravel with grass. Bring yourself some small pieces of plywood for jacks if your too worried (depending on ran), but you can always find a place to jack your car up.

As for the line, I can't help you too much. I think your line will be a "little" different then my FWD ITC Honda Civic. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

If you get up there and need any help just look for a blue Honda Civic, or ask for Spanky. Someone will point you in the right direction. I'll be up there Thrusday night after work for practice day on Friday.

Bugeater
08-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Irregardless of needed help I plan to walk around and "ask for spanky"...see what kinda help I get! Lol.

dave parker
08-25-2004, 09:40 AM
John
The paddock at Summit has paved sections and grass sections. The grass areas are very firm(unless its under water) so jacking the car up is not a big deal. I do bring some pieces of plywood to put under jackstands for stability. If you need to paddock with us shoot me an email to [email protected] and we can hammer out the details.

Earl,
How is the 240sx project coming along?
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

[This message has been edited by dave parker (edited August 25, 2004).]

erlrich
08-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by dave parker:
[B]
Earl,
How is the 240sx project coming along?
[B]

Dave - it's getting there. I hope to be ready for the Fall driver's school, but we'll have to see how it goes. If not, I'll definitely be there for the Spring school. In the mean time I was actually thinking I might try to find 240sx team (or any IT team for that matter) that needs some crew help for the remainder of the season, just to get some time at the track and see how things work on race weekends. I imagine things are just a little more hectic than on your typical FATT day http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Btw, do you have any idea when you'll be getting in the first of the new GF suits?

------------------
Earl R
Aspiring 240SX pilot

dave parker
08-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Earl
I have the suits in now.
Try talking to Kirk Dohne, he races a 240sx in ITA. I am sure he would be able to help you in that area.
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97