PDA

View Full Version : R-4 Pad wear

Vtach
08-23-2004, 10:59 PM
I've never had abnormal pad wear until the last set of pads which was the first time I used Porterfield R-4's. Both sets of fronts wore at an angle so that the top inside and bottom of the outside pads are virtually new but the opposite corners are down to the backing plate. Ever heard of this with this issue with these pads?

lobster
08-24-2004, 09:32 AM
Vtach, No I have not heard of that with the R-4's but so things to consider, are the backing plates the same as your old pads? Also what kind of car is it? And how does the hardware attach to caliper/pad? All four pads did this? Glenn

BMW RACER
08-24-2004, 03:30 PM
V. Need more info. What kind of car? Single piston or multi piston calipers?
John Norris

ed325its
08-24-2004, 07:55 PM
I have seen and suffered from this myself. It is usually caused by the caliper or the pads twisting against the rotor instead of keeping a vertical flat surface. In my case the bushings for the guide pins had worn. Easily repaired and the condition did not repeat. You should inspect all of your brake hardware.

------------------
Ed Tisdale
#22 ITS '95 325is
Racing BMW's since 1984

Vtach
08-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replys...
I talked with another Fiesta guy and he says to go to the Hawk Blues.
Again, in over 5 years I never had an issue and then all the sudden the last set (my first Porterfield R4s) did this. The calipers on this car are somewhat strange, the caliper has pins that hold it onto the carrier which bolts (no bushings anywhere)to the hub housing.