PDA

View Full Version : Looking For CLub/Regional IT Experience (Please Read)

Midnight13
08-05-2004, 09:51 PM
Looking to offer my help to any SCCA Club/Pro Racing Team within a couple hours of my location in order to learn more about the SCCA on the Club/Pro Racing level. Lots of Experience Both Driving and Mechanical if Interested Please Read Below for More info....

Hi, My Name is Coby I am 28 married with two sons and love racing of all types. I live in Wise, Va. (About an Hour north of Bristol TN, 3 Hours West of Raonoke VA, and 3 Hours East of Lexington KY) I am currently driving nascar sanction (4cyl) for McKnights Racing in Clintwood Virginia. They are a moderately funded team with a 4 car stable(Father, 2 Sons, and myself as drivers). Their main focus is V-8 stock car racing, but also allow me to drive and maintain a 4 cyl prepared stock Dodge Omni in addition to my shop duties on the larger cars. I have been with the team for 2 seasons and I am happy with the current situation we operate under. However, next season the team intends to move up to a touring series. They are debating on either Hooters Pro Cup or the Nascar Craftsman Truck Series. If the team moves up to a touring series I will be unable to drive the entire season at our local track because the team would need my help at the other tracks as a pit crew member. This move pushes me to pursue my own desires as a racer which is SCCA Club/Pro Racing. I have been looking into the move and have decided it would be better for me to get involved with an established team to learn the ropes before moving on to actually racing. So I am offering my help to anyone that is reasonably close to me who may need garage and track help for the end of this season and next season (Possibly longer if things go well). I am very serious about this and a highly devoted person. I am willing to travel and would be a great addition to any team.

Mechanical Experience:
Fabrication and Design (Body, Chassis, Suspension, Roll Cages etc.) Body Work. Welding (Mig Tig & Stick) Engine (Domestic, Foreign, Exotic all cylinder configurations, numerous performance oriented builds in all types of cars) Suspension (Shock Selection, Setup and Positioning, Strut - Coilover - and Big Spring applications both adjustable and non. Also have experience in custom applications such as Air and Hydro setups (hobby) along with static drop applications used in racing). Very Familiar with electrical systems and fuel Delivery. I also understand the importance of correct positioning of weight in a vehicle and the appropriate places to enhance performance. Also very good with on track adjustments such as correcting bump steer making the vehicle handle tighter or looser and fine tuning including air pressures.

Driving Experience:
I am currently a second year driver under Nascar Sanction at Lonesome Pine International Raceway in Coeburn Va. I drive a Dodge Omni 2.2l (carb) In a Pure Stock 4 Division(Very Similar to IT racing minus curves and can't modify the suspension). Last season I finished 3rd in division points and Rookie of the Year. This season I am currently ranked 3rd in Points and may Finish 2nd for the year if the remainder of the season goes well for me. I am a strong driver utilizing underdeveloped equipment and still finish top 3 out of 20 cars every race. I have yet to win a race this year, but never out of contention either. Main reason is the Nissan 240sx that has won all but 2 of our 10 races so far this season (We have 7 races to go so I may still win a couple).

Well if anyone is interested please contact me at [email protected] or reply here and we can exchange contact info and discuss the possibilities. Thank you for your attention.

[This message has been edited by Midnight13 (edited August 05, 2004).]

Mike Guenther
08-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi Coby,
I sure wish you lived in central Florida. I would love to have your experience to help me improve my racing. My crew chief, Bob is a great guy who loves anything that races, but we're just a couple of amatures out there having fun when we can. We could use some advice from an experienced guy like you to help us improve our team. If you ever want to take in a race while you're in Florida, feel free to hang out with us. I have never won a race yet, but we sure do have a good time. Best wishes to you.

ddewhurst
08-06-2004, 09:01 AM
Coby, you have an excelent resume towards race cars. If you were to post your resume on www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar/ (http://www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar/) you may also get some takers. If you hooked up with a Production car you might find more value with your experiences towards seting up a car with more goodies.

I live in Wisconsin. If I lived in your area you would have an e-mail.

Have Fun http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif
David

m glassburner
08-06-2004, 10:36 AM
My brother and I currently run a omni in ITA. We are based in St. Louis.We will be in atlanta in november.Would love to chat sometime!! mike g.

jake7140
08-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Hey Coby,
I am just putting together a Pure Stock 4-cyl fwd (0 funding) for local circle-tracking in Wisconsin. Any advice? I'm a RWD hack.

Thanks and good luck, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting picked up.

------------------
Steve
[email protected]
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
</A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
</A>

Midnight13
08-06-2004, 05:46 PM
WOW... LOL

I am very happy to see all of these replies to my topic already!

Mike....
Thanks for the invite to FL to hang out with you at a race. It sounds to me like you already have whats really important in racing. Thats someone on your team who really enjoys your company and offers you his support and more importantly you are having fun! Keep up the good work and keep trying I am sure a win will come your way soon with your good spirts! If I get down your way I'll let you know when and maybe we can get together!

dde...
Thank you for the advice I will post on the other forum soon! The biggest problem I have with any of this is I think I am atleast 3 to 5 hours from any competing team LOL.

GlassBurner....
November in Atlanta would be a great time for me to get to an IT event! My points season ends for me on September 18th, but I have one Big Purse race I plan to attend on October 16. I am also free the weekend of the 14th and 28th this month (I wish it was this weekend I would have loved to make VIR). Drop me a line at [email protected] maybe we can work something out!

Well its off to the race track for me tomorrow... Wish Me Luck!!

Midnight13
08-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Jake....
There is alot you can do to improve your car!

With a FWD you will contantly be fighting push on a circle track try running your right side pressures around 38 psi and you left side at 26 psi this will make your left side tires do more work without rolling over thus reducing the push a bit. You also need to run camber in all 4 tires and it depends on the banking at your track our track has 12 degree banking and I use 3 degrees of camber in the front and 2 degrees in the back the reason for this is it creates less rear grip and loosens the car up a bit, but doesn't overheat the rear tires either. You also need to have about 1/16th of an inch of toe out in your front tires so your tires are both pointing straight in the turn this corrects the change in angle of the tires when your springs compress as you enter the turn. Also if your car still pushes you can add about a 1/16th to an 1/8th inch of rear steer by pointing both rear tires out to the outside of the track (Right) this will losen the car as well. Remember a little loose on a circle track is faster too loose is dangerous. Your speed on a circle track comes from how fast you can get through the turn because most of the cars will be about the same speed down the straight stretch. Everything I mentioned will improve your track times and cost you nothing except a bit of your time adjusting the car!

If you need any other other advice give me some more detailed info on what car you have and what you think you need advice on and I will be happy to help you out... E-mail me at [email protected]

m glassburner
08-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Well...midnight ,november 5-6-7 is our showcase/championship race better known as the ARRC (american road race of champions) It would be a great time for you to come down and investigate....I for one don't think there is a better bunch (nice too)of racers than the ITers . Hope to see you there!! mike g http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif ps good luck!! keep the rubber side down!!

[This message has been edited by m glassburner (edited August 07, 2004).]