PDA

View Full Version : What made the ARRC so prestigious?

gran racing
07-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Maybe this is a silly question and the answer is simply just because. I was thinking about the upcoming NARRC race, and wonder why this (or other regional championship events) are not as big of an event. Is the ARRC officially the national IT championship race or has it simply become thought of that way over time?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

Super Swift
07-13-2004, 11:38 AM
The ARRC. You got to love it. I am by no means an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I think the name American Road Race of Champions started and may have been the early name of the Runoffs. The 1st ARRC was held at Riverside, California, hosting national classes. Some are still around some dead AP-HP, FV and other formula classes, also something they called sedan.
In the late 60’s the ARRC was moved to Daytona. Cobras raced in AP and BP. Sweet
Then in the early 70’s maybe 72 Road Atlanta got the joy of having the ARRC. EP had 4 240Z’s going into turn one leading the pack. 30 years later and the car is still winning.
I don’t know when the name runoffs came into play but it replaced the ARRC in the late 70’s and stayed in Atlanta. The runoffs then moved to Mid Ohio.

The ARRC we know and love was reborn in the early 90’s. I think Road Atlanta has the rights to the name. The region billed it as the IT runoffs so people came as they still do. The early ARRC’s had people from Texas to New England probably more diverse but I am just thinking of people I know did well those early years.

It is viewed as the IT runoffs because it is billed that way and simply that. Should the ARRC be moved to bring more cars. NO. The South East has the car counts. West of the Mississippi they are lucky to get 10 car fields of all IT classes. Central isn’t much better having only three or four 15 one class IT fields a year. The north east does have several cars but Florida alone almost has the same number. Only place I have ever seen a 50+ ITS car field was in Florida. ITA probably gets its highest car counts in the North East, but so what. Atlanta works well as the home of the ARRC because it is close to most of the IT racers and has good highway accessibility for most of the country. VIR would work well if and only if you forgot about the people who raced in the central division.

I see no point in moving it or having a second race made to be direct competition because the ARRC at Atlanta always puts on a great show. ITA in 2003. wow.

The 3 greatest races I have ever seen have been at the ARRC. This is coming from someone who lives on Speed (TV).

ITB in 2000. Sam vs Richard vs Albin vs Keane
ITB 2001. Sam vs Buras vs Randy Pobst
ITB 1997 I wish I knew all the names Eric Foss vs Ed York vs Terry Borcheller vs a norther Audi Gt and VW

The ARRC is also a stand alone event not the last race in a series or the first. The only draw to the race is the prestige. Other than that it is just another regional.

racer_tim
07-13-2004, 11:53 AM
Dave, the ARRC was the official name of the SCCA National Championships before they were known as the "Run-Off's"

And yes, the modern day "ARRC" is the psuedo IT National Championships, but just like the "Run-Off's" at Mid-Ohio, until they move the venue around from coast to coast, it will continue to be the eastern part of the country's championship.

Tim

gsbaker
07-13-2004, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Super Swift:
...ITA in 2003. wow....

Got that right! Can't wait for '04.

Gregg

bobpink
07-13-2004, 12:15 PM
One correction to the above. The American Road Race of Champions is NOT billed by the Atlanta Region SCCA as an Improved Touring National Championship event.

The event is billed as a Championship for Regional class-only cars. We have open-wheel, Club S2, SPU, SPO, TCC (Corvettes) and Spec Miata joining us too. We have seen a noticeable increase in open-wheel participation in the last year or so and it is very welcome. We also anticipate some help in promoting the open-wheel cars from a very well done publication a little north of the border this coming year.

The current ARRC began when the Runoffs left Road Atlanta in 1993 and the track was looking for an event to replace it. In 1994 the event was started and received a lot of support from then owner Jim Kanely and a marketing guy you probably have heard of, Kurt Spitzner (now of GRM). Road Atlanta does own the ARRC name nowadays and I always get a good chuckle out of it. It was the SCCA who let the trademark expire and Kanely had the foresight to nab it up much to their chagrin. Oh well, ya snooze, ya lose.

The history of the ARRC can be found at: http://www.arrc-online.com/arrchistory.html

One of my greatest honors in working the event was bringing back the two guys generally credited with the vision to build Road Atlanta in 1969, Dave Sloyer and Earl Walker, to the event in 2000. These guys went through a tremendous amount of hassle to get the track built and made friends and some enemies along the way.

And one great race finish was missed. Anyone who recalls the race to the checkered in 2001 (2002?-its a blur these days) between Chet Wittel and Sylvain Tremblay in ITS say it is one of the most exciting witnessed. Sylvain tried a pass in the grass on the inside of Turn 12 to sneak by Chet, but came up just a little short.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Autosports
ITS Honda Prelude (for sale)

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited July 13, 2004).]

ITSRX7
07-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by racer_tim:

And yes, the modern day "ARRC" is the psuedo IT National Championships, but just like the "Run-Off's" at Mid-Ohio, until they move the venue around from coast to coast, it will continue to be the eastern part of the country's championship.

Tim

And I will even go one further...the Southeastern Championship. Not all the top drivers and top cars can get there but you won't find a better single-event for IT.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
ITS RX-7 & Spec Miata 1.6
New England Region R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

gran racing
07-13-2004, 01:29 PM
This may have been brought up before, but have attempts been made to get this event televised?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

[This message has been edited by gran racing (edited July 13, 2004).]

R2 Racing
07-13-2004, 02:01 PM
The ARRC will never get the publicity it may deserve until the SCCA recognizes and endorses it as the championship for regional classes.

I got into it with my region (OVR) months ago over the fact that it will pay the Runoffs entry fee for any OVR member entering it. So why not pay the entry fee for any OVR member who's entering the ARRC? I just got the "the ARRC is not recognized by the SCCA" answer and it got quickly shot down. Kind of salty, one sided, and elitist if you ask me. I'm sorry I race in a Regional class but I pay the same dues as the guys you're sending to the Runoffs do.

I have made the trek from Columbus, OH to the ARRC every year since 2001 but have yet to race there. 2001 - injury; 2002 - jury duty until Friday afternoon; 2003 - injury again. Please, please let me make it this year. Personally, I'd have to rank 2003's ITA race and both the 2002 and 2003 SM races as some of the best I've ever seen.

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

gsbaker
07-13-2004, 03:37 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">It was the SCCA who let the trademark expire and Kanely had the foresight to nab it up much to their chagrin. Oh well, ya snooze, ya lose.</font>

and,

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I just got the \"the ARRC is not recognized by the SCCA\" answer and it got quickly shot down.</font>

Hmm. Nah...

G

bobpink
07-13-2004, 04:08 PM
Your point is?

>Hmm. Nah...

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Autosports

gsbaker
07-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by bobpink:
Your point is?

>Hmm. Nah...

There couldn't possibly be a connection, could there?

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

Jake
07-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Hmm... anyone know anybody at SPEED? ARRC would be incredible! I also wouldn't mind seeing some Drift competitions - but that's another story...

wbp
07-13-2004, 10:14 PM
A Southeast race only? Hardly. While the numbers of racers from far away has not been huge, some great racers have been among them. I think winners have come from California and Canada even. And lots of winners have come from MW, Cendiv and NEdiv.

Geo
07-13-2004, 11:36 PM
...also something they called sedan.

I remember the "Sedan" classes. The 510 raced in "Sedan," BS (no joke intented) IIRC.

EP had 4 240Z’s going into turn one leading the pack.

That is incorrect. Back then the 240Z was in CP. There was also a DP which included (among others) the Porsche 924.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

gran racing
07-14-2004, 07:53 AM
I know it certainly is not typical for ESPN to televise racing (not sure why they don't), but has anyone ever approached them? Heck, if they air wonder sports like fishing and my favorite poker???

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

whenry
07-14-2004, 09:43 AM
History. There was an IT Runoffs held at Heartland Park in '93(?) and then Atlanta Region picked up on the idea. I was there for the first 4 or so ARRC's and still use my in-car video of the very first qualifying race which we dubbed into Stan Hind's in-car for a multi-perspective view of the race, as my "instructional" tape when I give talks to civic or other groups about my racing. 5 laps; too many lead changes and close calls to count. I started second behind Chuck Mathis and finished second behind Chuck, but a whole lot happened in the interim. If you cant get excited from from it, you dont like racing. Ahhh, the memories!

Knestis
07-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by gran racing:
... but has anyone ever approached them? Heck, if they air wonder sports like fishing and my favorite poker???

You can get anything on the air if you come up with advertisers willing to buy the airtime. Television works only partially because content is interesting to viewers: The harder sell is making it attractive to the people who write checks to the networks to buy the airtime. The Summit 12 Hours got aired because someone fronted the money to do the production (the 944 team that was showcased in the coverage) and the program was sold to SPEED with advertisers already on board.

The same kind of package would guarantee that the ARRC could get on the tube but that's a fulltime job, pulling all that together.

I'm in the minority maybe but while the racing at the ARRC has traditionally been very competitive, I don't see it as a true "national championship" until there is some mechanism in place to assure a representative sample of the cream from all of our divisions.

It IS a hell of an event and Atlanta Region has done a great job raising its profile and quality over the years.

As to history, it is VERY interesting to look at the de-evolution of A through D production, the death of the Sedan category - and birth of GT - and the lessons that might apply to IT and other current classes. But that is a separate thread.

K

Catch22
07-17-2004, 10:34 AM
The best races I've ever seen, anywhere, ever, have been at the ARRC. Last year's ITA battle topped the list. The lead changed between 4 cars on pretty much every lap, the last one included.
I make sure that I try to paddock where I can spectate as much as possible when not working on my own car.

Hey Ruck, what do you plan to race at the ARRC this year? It must be tough to have to pick from 5 race cars http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif .
I vote ITC, but I'm prejudiced like that.

JDEllis
07-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by R2 Racing:
Kind of salty, one sided, and elitist if you ask me.

So Phil was involved, eh? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

-jde

------------------
J.D. Ellis
OVR #71 ITS Olds Calais
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by JDEllis (edited July 17, 2004).]

ARRC Comm
07-18-2004, 09:34 AM
Don't forget that this weekend , July 24-25 is your last chance to practice for the ARRC. It is a Sarrc, ECR and PRO IT, wow, three races to practice.

We have indications that the ARRC will have more contingency this year than last year. TV coverage was discussed in the past, but $50,000 was just a little out of our budjet. Would TV coverage be worth an increase of $150 per entry?? Just a thought!

The normal Labor Day races will be held at Atlanta Motor Speedway's road course. The track is in good shape and has passed the initial inspection and with the needed safety corrections, we will be ready to return to AMS. It will be a 3 day event for Dbl Sarrc and a PRO IT. We will run clockwise using the Nascar turn 3-4 chicane and most of the origional road course. We have secured both Nascar garages for competitor parking, aprox 90 spots , they will be avalible for $30 with elect included. The garages are clean, new and well lit and will be a pleasure for us to use. They are new type, not like the ones at Daytona, or shall I say the ones that were/to be torn down for new ones to be built. We need to charge for the spaces as we needed to pay extra for them, but knew you would want them. Each garage will have a spot for Your rig just outside your garage spot parked as the nascar rigs. Out side Motorhome sites will be avalible also. More info to come, probaby there will also be a test day on Friday. Will post when details are finalized.

Thanks and see you soon, Fletcher

gran racing
07-18-2004, 10:35 AM
Would tv coverage be worth an extra $150?

What are the current entry fees?

TV coverage by who and in what spot? A small local TV station - then no. Speed channel at 3 a.m. - still probably no. Speed channel at a decent time and coverage of many of the cars out there (not just the first two cars) - they yes.

Nicely done TV coverage would also draw even more people then what currently. If a person is one of the top drivers, it sure would attract them to come.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

m glassburner
07-18-2004, 01:51 PM
I say yes to the 150$ My sponsers would love it!!

R2 Racing
07-19-2004, 12:40 AM
Hey Ruck, what do you plan to race at the ARRC this year? It must be tough to have to pick from 5 race cars http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif .
I vote ITC, but I'm prejudiced like that.[/B]

It's only 4 cars.... :P
I'm 99% sure that if I'm there, I'll be in the ITA car. I suppose I could bring one of the ITC cars and double up Fowler style! No, not really.

JD - Phil was actually the one I got to bring it up at a meeting with the rest of the OVR directors. But it was seriously like "PULL! - kaboom!"

RSTPerformance
07-19-2004, 04:49 PM
I say that the $150.00 is worth the exposure but I think it would attract a lot less people from other areas and more locals instead. It's a great idea and it just may be what the event needs to get it that National status it is looking for. I think if we do get TV coverage without the help of SCCA we should all get stickers for our windsheilds that say "why go national"

I agree with AB that it still is a southeast championship that some of us crazy people go and attend. Last year was really bad as far as favoratism to locals is concerned. I hope that changes for next year. anyway I would be curios to see the % of people from different regions is. If anything else it is cool to meet new people and have some good competitors.

On a side note I bet we all get our own racegroups soon down at the ARRC just like the valvoline runnoffs. Even for the NARRC championship it looks like we should all get our own race groups! the turnouts have been unbeleivable up here!

Stephen

gran racing
07-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Stephen - why do you think it would attract a lot less people from other areas and more locals instead?

I would be much, much more tempted to make the long 17 hour journey if it had decent TV coverage. My sponsors would absolutely love it! It would also help attract additional sponsors.

As it currently stands, might try it once just to try it. Otherwise the trip is simply too long for me. And I whine about going to Summit Pt which is a 7 hr trip!

As a side note - I would also love for any of the IT events to be televised. The NARRC would be awesome!!!

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

planet6racing
07-19-2004, 05:23 PM
$150 is about 2 tanks of gas for the tow vehicle (well, up here at least), so if money is tight, it could be the make/break for going to the ARRC.

How much is the ARRC, anyway? Our entry fees up here are over $300, so if the ARRC is only $175 or $200, it'd only be like $50 for us and wouldn't seem so bad. But, it doesn't matter, I made the commitment earlier this year to be there and, by gum, I'm going to be there!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

gsbaker
07-19-2004, 05:40 PM
If it's a matter of money, how much are we talking about?

Let's say we want to buy a half hour of time on Speed TV. What does it cost for a broadcast at 3:30am on a Tuesday and (other end of the spectrum) 3:30pm on Sunday?

Gregg

gsbaker
07-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by planet6racing:
...But, it doesn't matter, I made the commitment earlier this year to be there and, by gum, I'm going to be there!

It's worth every penny of fuel, Bill. You will be grinning from ear-to-ear.

Gregg

Tom Donnelly
07-19-2004, 05:54 PM
Stephen,
Not arguing, just asking.
How was there favoritism at the ARRC this year? I'm a local and its never seemed that way to me. Its always been whoever gets there for test days gets the best spots. And its always seemed to me that having cars from all across the country is what makes the ARRC. One year I pitted next to a group from New Orleans and had all the gumbo I could eat. You get to meet the people on this forum as well. There's been car from New York, Texas and California. The ARRc wouldn't be the same without 'em.

And you will be grinnin' from ear to ear.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Donnelly (edited July 19, 2004).]

gsbaker
07-19-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Tom Donnelly:
...its always seemed to me that having cars from all across the country is what makes the ARRC. One year I pitted next to a group from New Orleans and had all the gumbo I could eat. You get to meet the people on this forum as well. There's been car from New York, Texas and California. The ARRC wouldn't be the same without 'em.

And you will be grinnin' from ear to ear.

Who were those guys last year from Nova Scotia?

Gregg (grinnin' from ear-to-ear) Baker

lateapex911
07-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
I say that the $150.00 is worth the exposure but I think it would attract a lot less people from other areas and more locals instead.

I disagree here...TV coverage will attract drivers for a number of reasons, but I don't think you can assign geography as the only demographic factor.

Last year was really bad as far as favoratism to locals is concerned. I hope that changes for next year. Stephen

I know the paddock space at RA is in tight supply, and that our group of 5 cars and trailers had to paddock in a space of about 175 sq feet, which compared to, say, the 2 car Corvette team's 18 wheeler complete with the full awning and big screen video display, (in a space far larger than 175 sq feet) DID appear lopsided. But I would be hesitant to use "localism" and "favoritism" in describing the situation. Rather, I feel that it might have been a case of the officials not fully realizing the scope of our group, and the usual "haves and have nots" situation that exists in club racing.

I am sure that they attempted to accomodate everyones needs, and I bet they try even harder next year.

As for TV coverage, $150 per entry is peanuts. I really have no sponsors per se', but I have no issue with an extra fee. Keep in mind though, that TV coverage costs money...BIG money, and for $150, it would seemingly be tough to get anything but a small production company and 'unusual' viewing times. Don't expect to be the lead in show on SPEED for the World Challenge Touring car race! (Although, how cool would that be!)

Also, the final show is likely to be half an hour or an hour at the most, so each race will be boiled down to a highlight reel, in all probability. Which means the usual suspects will be getting screen time, unless the crash is good enough .....!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

SilverHorseRacing
07-20-2004, 12:13 AM
For an extra 150.00, you could guarantee that I'd be there, and I don't make the trip up there now. But the sponsors would love it, and it would open a lot of doors. Small investment, if you ask me.

------------------
-Marcello Canitano
www.SilverHorseRacing.com (http://www.SilverHorseRacing.com)

Greg Amy
07-20-2004, 09:06 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...our group of 5 cars and trailers had to paddock in a space of about 175 sq feet...not fully realizing the scope of our group...</font>

Jake, your analysis is spot-on. Fletcher came up to me afterwards and apologized for stuffing us into such a small space. He told me that they did not fully realize the number of people and amount of equipment we were bringing. He also thanked us for conserving space as much possible by sharing tools and equipment.

He promised to work with us for better accomodations in subsequent ventures south...

GregA

Tom Donnelly
07-20-2004, 09:45 AM
That pretty much hits the mark. Fletcher has a pretty thankless task of trying to organize the paddock. And he's trying to race, usually 2 cars at the same time. And then people give him hell for being grumpy!
And he's responsible for finding the sponsorship base for Pro-IT and for the ARRC.

Tom

planet6racing
07-20-2004, 10:21 AM
So, should we be talking to Fletcher about getting an area designated for the IT.com crowd that is coming down? It'd be nice if we could all be in one area (although I realize that is unlikely to happen).

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

oanglade
07-20-2004, 10:30 AM
I know that if you tell him in advance, he does try to arrange groups together, etc.

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Sugar Hill, GA

Tom Donnelly
07-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Bill,
Ony is right. Fletcher can't always set things up but he will work with you. Especially if you volunteer to help at least a little bit. Like displaying a car at local business one evening or directing traffic or whatever. I've got his e-mail somewhere and I believe he posts here occasionally. One of his "cars" is an ITT truck.
Of course you could end up on the "back forty" sometimes too. Everyone wants on the skidpad area 'cause its nice and flat.

Tom

emwavey
07-20-2004, 02:08 PM
Where is "the" ARRC race held?... and what is the date?
Website?

Thanks. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
-dave
8)
Got Photos?... post 'em here: http://y3k.shacknet.nu:31338/gallery/

bobpink
07-20-2004, 05:18 PM
The ARRC is held at Road Atlanta and the event date for this year is November 5-7.

The website address is: www.arrc-online.com (http://www.arrc-online.com). It still has the 2003 info on it and I will have to get around to doing some updating soon.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Autosports

planet6racing
07-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Well, I really don't care where I end up, so long as I make it down there safely (as does everyone else) and we all have a good time. I'll just remember to bring my bike and wagon, just in case!

Display my car at a local business? Hey, now there's an idea! I'd be up for that, so long as I didn't have to truck it through Atlanta traffic!

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

R2 Racing
07-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Delaware, OH to Braselton, GA = 634 miles. Damn, I've forgot how long of a drive that is!

Oh well, don't care. I'll be there!

------------------
Kevin
Ruck Racing
'92 ITA Acura Integra RS
'92 ITC Honda Civic CX
'85 ITC Honda Civic S
'95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

lateapex911
07-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Well, Kevin, when I started whining in my head about our CT/MASS to Atlanta tow, I stopped myself thinking about the guys from Nova Scotia....they're so far away I don't even know how bad it is, but I know we're lucky!

Looking forward to this years event, hope to actually make a race lap or two at racing speeds this year...the new carb is on the car....and I hope I get as lucky as I did last year with crew...what a luxury to have a knowledgable good natured friend to help out!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

R2 Racing
07-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
Well, Kevin, when I started whining in my head about our CT/MASS to Atlanta tow, I stopped myself thinking about the guys from Nova Scotia....they're so far away I don't even know how bad it is, but I know we're lucky!

Yea, I agree. I thought about those guys a couple minutes after I posted that and felt like a schmo. I can right now think of 18 tracks off of the top of my head I could get to in a 10 hour drive or less. Not too shabby!

[This message has been edited by R2 Racing (edited July 20, 2004).]

apr67
07-21-2004, 05:49 PM
I think the ARRC has lost some of it's presitge. The addition of so many local classes (i.e. classes without national rules or even national acceptance) has made it look alot like any other regional.

I'm not being elitest, I think the region needed to do it for the $$ reasons, but I think getting back to basics of national regional classes would help.

Also, I think the old Enduro format made the weekend a bigger event. The short enduro's are not much longer than the average sprint race!

Dealing with the parking police is always a hassel. I know that Fletcher has to do it, and it is a hateful job, but sometimes you have to remember what we drivers go through.

Having towed 10 or 12 or 24 hours straight to get to the track, (in the rain) and being told that I have to move my open trailer, that has all my tires, my tool boxes, my generator and my compressor on it to the grass is not going to be met with a sunny disposition. Especially when some rich bozo with a semi and one corvette can take up the entire paddock.

Personally I say give each car entered a piece of real estate on the pavement, say 12 x 40. You can put anything you want in that 12 x 40, everything else goes to the grass. Those of us with several cars will work together. Those guys with huge rigs and one car will be 'out to pasture'. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Alan

Scott Webb
07-21-2004, 08:04 PM
It is viewed as the IT runoffs because it is billed that way and simply that. Should the ARRC be moved to bring more cars. NO. The South East has the car counts. West of the Mississippi they are lucky to get 10 car fields of all IT classes. Central isn’t much better having only three or four 15 one class IT fields a year.
Cause or effect? I don't know the answer - just asking.

I've heard that San Francisco Region gets pretty good IT car counts these days. They've been trying to build a championship event as well. What was once the Pacific Coast Runoffs (or something to that effect) is now the Western States Shootout.

Originally posted by apr67:
Personally I say give each car entered a piece of real estate on the pavement, say 12 x 40. You can put anything you want in that 12 x 40, everything else goes to the grass. Those of us with several cars will work together. Those guys with huge rigs and one car will be 'out to pasture'.
At the Mazdaspeed Miata Cup/Challenge races at Laguna Seca, where we run in support of CART/ALMS/Atlantic/FM/Barber Dodge/etc., we all get a fixed-size space under a series of giant tents. You can bring your hauler into the paddock to unload whatever will fit, and the rest gets put out to pasture. While I'd prefer to have my enclosed trailer nearby, this configuration really fosters a feeling of community and communication, and it's a good solution for a limited amount of space.

------------------
Scott Webb
WebbRacing.com (http://www.scottwebb.com)

lateapex911
07-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Yea- I would HATE to be Fletcher! Imagine how many guys point at the big semi rig and say..."why do I only get 20 x 10 feet for my stuff, when THAT guy gets the best spot AND a space...for the same ONE racecar... that's 6 times the size of what you're giving me??"

Yup...I'd hate to be him!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gran racing
07-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Well, this certainly isn't unique to the ARRC event. The labor day MARRS event at summit point is crazy! Last year we were very, very lucky to have someone nice enough save Jake and I a spot to share. If it weren't for that, I have no idea where we would have been.

The last lime rock race - I drove around for a while and again got lucky. Tom Blaney gave up some space and again Jake and I squeezed in. Other people had to park up top in a different lot.

People should only be alloted a certain amount of space no matter which race it is.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

Knestis
07-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Minor highjack...

The paddock space equity issue is a huge one. I was the ultimate low-footprint guy this season, driving the car to the track and unloading stuff from the hatch but there was a full-on 40' transporter towed by one of those RV 5th-wheel conversions parked next to me at VIR early this spring: It had one Spec Miata in it and the car that the team driver used to get to run errands.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

K

Tom Donnelly
07-22-2004, 11:16 AM
This is kind of a hijack but it relates.

I got used to working out of my enclosed trailer (sold). I could keep all the tools and stuff inside and the car under an awning. I was skipping getting another enclosed trailer and spening the money elsewhere and I'd take up less space and not need an expensive tow vehicle.

But after reading the thread on sabotage I wonder now if I need to lock my stuff up at night and sleep under the racecar.

I've been saving for an enclosed trailer and all the recent threads seem to add parameters to the decision. 15's or 14's. Lock up the trailer or open trailer. More or less space. New Hoosiers or old.

ARRG!

Tom

Knestis
07-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Sorry - sabotage? I obviously missed something...

K

m glassburner
07-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Why not have a east coast semi championship and a west coast one.....and then meet in the middle for a doozie of a winner take all?? Say at topeka???? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif mike g. p.s. like the wreck me otters did??maybe even the same week??

apr67
07-22-2004, 03:29 PM
The Spec Miata thing was a pro race. Different ball of wax.

But your idea has merit. The problem is our club doesn't care enough to make it happen, so it would be up to us to make it happen.

I would not hold out a lot of hope for that happening.

My suggestion at one time was make a race like the ARRC an invitational with a tow fund. Every division has a regional series, (some have several), invite the winners in each division and encourage them by providing something. Discounted entry fee (based on distance), tow fund, or something.

But this is Atlanta Regions event, and although they did have discount entry fees in the very beginning (I think) that disappered.
Alan

gsbaker
07-22-2004, 05:32 PM
(Slightly OT)

What about this year's ARRC? With all this talk, one can sense the mounting enthusiasm. Perhaps the Webmaster can begin a 2004 ARRC category to compliment last year's.

Personally, I am curious about the status of Jake's efforts to secure the hot tub girls. And, of course, poll all potential attendees about estimated beer consumption.

Gregg

Tom Donnelly
07-22-2004, 05:34 PM
K,

Someone posted a link the other day to the prodcar forum and the spec racer forum about cars being sabotaged at Roebling. Shock settings changed, suspension components loosened and/or bolts removed and such.

It was a little disturbing because I'd never heard of that except in movies.

Here's the links:

http://www.specracer.com/forums/topic.asp?...405&whichpage=1 (http://www.specracer.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1405&whichpage=1)

http://www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar/viewto...opic.php?t=3151 (http://www.coloradoscca.org/prodcar/viewtopic.php?t=3151)

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Donnelly (edited July 22, 2004).]