PDA

View Full Version : Racing fatality

gsbaker
06-29-2004, 12:25 PM
Top Fuel drag racer Darrell Russell succumbed to his injuries on Sunday. Something broke after he went through the traps. Top speed was 322 mph.

Just a note to stay safe out there.

Gregg

[edit: format]

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited June 29, 2004).]

OTLimit
06-30-2004, 08:33 AM
It was announced on the news yesterday that the medical examiner says he died of a head injury, but no further details.

------------------
Lesley Albin
Over The Limit Racing
Blazen Golden Retrievers

Tobey
06-30-2004, 11:50 AM
I was watching the race Sunday night when they showed the wreck. One of his rear tires blew as he went through the traps at 322 mph. The frame broke between him and the engine, and then his car glanced off the left wall, glanced off the other car (didn't even damage the other car), and came to rest back along the left wall. There was a fire, but it was extinguished almost as soon as it flashed by the safety workers (no F1-style 90-second wait at the dragstrip). The report I saw said a wing strut caused the fatal injury.

On the whole, it didn't appear to be that catastrophic of a wreck. No sudden stop, no cartwheeling, etc. I've seen people walk away from worse. Just a freak occurence to receive that kind of head injury.

kennyr7
07-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Newspaper reports speculated that the head injury was caused by shrapnel. NHRA has announced that effective at the next race weekend, roll cage shielding & a new spec rear tire will be required.

RIP Darrell

m glassburner
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
You have been watching windtunnel..
...mike g.

[This message has been edited by m glassburner (edited July 01, 2004).]