PDA

View Full Version : Are Fiats competative?

Ceipher
06-24-2004, 08:59 PM
I'm looking at maybe buying a '75 Fiat X1/9 to go el cheapo racing while I'm in college. I know it has a solid reputation as a marvelously handling car, but I know its somewhat underpowered as well. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot

------------------
"The truest test of courage is always the last one"

Ceipher
06-24-2004, 09:04 PM
Forgot to mention that this would be a 1300cc 8v engine.

joeg
06-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Not quite sure if there is such a thing as "el cheapo racing"--especially in a unsupported vintage automobile.

Just go down to your nearest Pep boys or NAPA store and see if they have a rad hose or brake rotor for it in stock--just as a test.

Heck, I do the same thing, but you are warned.

Cheers

Knestis
06-25-2004, 08:53 AM
I'm not going to get into the "should you go racing in college" conversation - I did and regretted it a lot later - but since time will be a premium for you, you'd be better off to pick something that (a) is already built for racing, and (B) is common.

ITC Civic or Rabbit would be your best bet, ITB MkII Golf or ITA Honda Civic/CRX would be close seconds.

K

PS - you used the word "competitive" in your title and "el cheapo" in the body of your message. VERY mutually exclusive terms...

[This message has been edited by Knestis (edited June 25, 2004).]

dickita15
06-25-2004, 09:20 AM
the only reasons i would take on a project like building an X19 IT car are:
I already have 12 parts cars in the back yard.
I have been rebuilding them since I was 12 and know everything about the model.
I am a member of the local fiat club and the other members want to help me race it.
if at least 2 of the above do not apply. buy a mazda/VW/honda already built.
thats what I did.
dick
ner ITA Rx7

whenry
06-25-2004, 10:19 AM
I know of one X1/9 that was built as IT car by a nationally competitive EP team that was quite good. However they had 12 or more cars sitting in the back yard and knew most if not all of the tricks to make the things go fast.
I know from working as crew for Mark at the Runoffs that X1/9 is bullet-proof compared to the Midgets but running against Hwords and VW's would be a whole different world. There would be NO aftermarket or manuf support for such an effort.

grayracer
06-25-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about IT racing as opposed to autoX or track day events...in which case I don't think there is an "el cheapo" way to race no matter what marque you choose. Unless you're leveraged to the hilt with deferred student loans or a TFB to fund your efforts, the actual car is a relatively nominal part of the equation, to wit: Schools, license fee, safety gear, tow vehicle, trailer, tools, race fuel, tires, entry fees, lodging, food ad, nauseum. Even the most budget conscious racers are gonna dump a minimum of $500 for a weekend of shits and giggles.

If I were a college student on a bufget and jonesin' to get into racing, I'd join SCCA or another sanctioning body and go to events and work corners, T&S, etc. Camp at the track. Eat the free food. Make a lot of friends and have a blast really cheap. Save the on track efforts until you can afford it.

RSTPerformance
06-25-2004, 06:58 PM
I built an Audi while in school... against what everyone said... To expensive of a car, not competitive etc etc etc.

I had several parts cars around and a great network of Audi people interested to help (somewhat like what you have mentioned about yourself). That and my own knowledge and experience (experience as dad has been racing since the beginning of IT) made my brother and I go for the Audis. We felt it would be a good STARTER car that we could have fun with and one that we would have plenty of readily available parts in the backyard for. (fenders and doors http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif )

As time went on (2 years or so) we found that the cars had TONS of potential, and if we continued to use our resources we could continue to keep the costs down and maybe keep racing the cars for years to come. Now (4 to 5 years later) we are in the front (sometimes winning against full fields of cars). We have had to dip a bit deeper into the pockets and get a bit more creative on how to save money and keep the cars dependable (used parts are not always the best option). My car has had major problems that if I were alone in this and not with my bother I would have given up a long long time ago.

If your willing to put in the extra work and not looking to win, I say go for it. It really depends what you are looking to get out of it. When I started competitive in my mind was staying up with the majority of the filed (Majority is not the front runners in IT) and having fun doing that. Don't expect to win unless you are willing to dish out major $$$ or spend a few years in developing stuff yourself.

See you on the track-

Raymond Blethen
RST Performance Racing

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships