PDA

View Full Version : Update!

Simon
06-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Hey,

Ok time for an update, it is a big one this time this is what will be going on my website soon, look for pictures on it soon. Thanks!

The NASA visited Road Atlanta this weekend and brought along their HPDE (High Performance Driving Event) series. For those of you that are not familiar with this, it is a open track day for anyone with a safe car and saftey gear such as a helmet. There are four different groups, I was in HPDE 1 which you take a class and have an instructor, you can only pass at locations mentioned in the class. The good thing is this is not a race, they dont even record lap times. You can go at your own pace, let people by when you want and just learn and have fun!

I signed up for this event months in advanced and had a Showroom Stock C Dodge Neon ligned up, but Friday night before the event I got a call from the owner saying that the car broke and is not going to be able to make it. This of course made me almost sick, I left and went to buy everything I could think of to run my Civic. The reason I was not going to use it was because of the oil smoke it puts out as it burns a little oil. I got it as ready as I could and had to just wait.

When we arrived at the track everything was smooth, we setup our space and got my car ready. I went out for orientation laps which was fun, only going about 50m.p.h max was good for me, if they would not let me back out I at least drove on Road Atlanta.

I missed my school session so my first track session did not happen. I went to class, and went back out. My session came and was great, my first lap a Mustang spun out right in front of me, which was good to wake me up and show this is not karting. After two laps the black flag came out and I had to pit because of oil smoke.

I took the car to tech for them to have a look. I knew the car had no leaks only smoke, so they looked at it and told me to go have some fun!

My third and last session came, I was first on grid, and then the rain came! It rained very hard for a few minutes so we started behind the pace car. I was in front, kind of scary. When the green flag dropped, I took off but let everyone pass on the back straight so I could be alone to be safe and learn more. I did manage to catch a Miata and even pass a few cars. I was quicker and quicker and learned about my brakes, gears, and more.

When the session ended I was very happy. I was out the whole half hour, and at speed! I now cannot wait to get out in a race! I learned that this was very similar to karting, but there were walls around me, and it was a lot more fun. I learned looking far ahead is very important as well as using every inch of track.

Simon
www.simontibbett.evaluand.com (http://www.simontibbett.evaluand.com)

Geo
06-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Simon:
I learned that this was very similar to karting

Your karting experience will serve you well. In fact, it will probably put you well ahead of many others in the learning curve.

Congratulations on the successful event Simon. You'll be racing before you know it.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

emwavey
06-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Great account... glad you had fun.

------------------
-dave
8)
Got Photos?... post 'em here: http://y3k.shacknet.nu:31338/gallery/

Simon
06-21-2004, 07:10 PM
Thanks! Pictures are up: www.simontibbett.evaluand.com (http://www.simontibbett.evaluand.com)

lateapex911
06-21-2004, 10:52 PM
good stuff Simon!

I was at your site, and noticed the picture of you at the end of the straight...there looks like new pavement there...what that all about?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Anubis
06-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
good stuff Simon!

I was at your site, and noticed the picture of you at the end of the straight...there looks like new pavement there...what that all about?

That is the drifting horseshoe.

Sounds like a good time Simon, look forward to seeing you race.

------------------
Lance Snyder
Atlanta Region F&C

No more the small one, the weak one, the frightened one.
Running from beatings, deflating.
I'm becoming more than a man. More than you ever were.
Driven and burning to rise beyond Jesus.