PDA

View Full Version : Avon tires

wlfpkrcn
06-10-2004, 07:50 PM
I saw the new Avon tires advertised from Tire Rack. Has anyone on this board tried or know somebody who has tried them? The specs are similar to the Hoosiers. Here's the Tire Rack link.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...ireModel=Tech+R (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Avon&tireModel=Tech+R)

Thanks,
Eric

Eagle7
06-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Don't know anything about them, but that would be great if they're competitive with the Hoosiers. $88/set cheaper for my size.

------------------
Marty Doane
ITS RX-7 #13
CenDiv WMR

C. Ludwig
06-12-2004, 03:13 PM
I bought a set for my autox Miata and love them. Lots of grip but more of a Kumho forgiving nature than a Hoosier all or nothing edge. I've got Hoosiers stacked up for the IT car I'll need to use up before I try anything else but I look forward to trying them on the big track.

I haven't durometered them but the fingernail test tells me they're much softer than an R3S03 Hoosier.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

lateapex911
06-12-2004, 03:38 PM
But a good autocross tire doth not maketh a good roadrace tire....

Do they make two versions as Hoosier does? Or is it just intended for autocrossing?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Greg Gauper
06-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
But a good autocross tire doth not maketh a good roadrace tire....

Some of the SS boys at the runoffs DO run the solo tire for qualifying......

Toby qualified on the SSB pole on the solo compound Hoosier but switched to the road race compound Hoosier come race day.

lateapex911
06-14-2004, 07:31 PM
True, Greg, and I've considered the same tactic for myself....when I get a car that can hunt with the big dogs and I learn to drive it. And when I have the bucks to set up another set of rims and tires...so it will be a long time for me!

Note that a Q tire still isn't a roadrace
tire...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

C. Ludwig
06-16-2004, 07:24 PM
It's a one size fits all tire. Probably intended as a road race tire first given their presence in the full slick fields. Not even sure if they intended it to be used for autoxing but I like to try difference stuff and bought a set.

I'll try to get a durometer on them in the next week or so if I can scrape one up. They are soft! I can say that there is visible wear after only two autocrosses. They stick well but the wear is in question at this point.

I called the SCCA to see if they had been approved for SOLOII and talked to a guy there about them. He only told me they were approved and he hadn't heard anything about them good or bad. He said Tirerack had been instumental in bringing them to the country and getting them approved. I figure that means they're a really good tire or they can make alot of money off them. Maybe both? In the end I got no real info from Tirerack either on how they've performed or what pressure to use or camber settings. They hadn't even tested them.

I think they'll stick well on a track car. But wear might be an issue.

------------------
Chris Ludwig
08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

wlfpkrcn
06-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the information. I will probably wait until there is more feedback/support on the tires before I take the plunge.

Thanks again,
Eric