PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Sales/Ethics

ITS5GB
06-05-2004, 10:17 PM
I've only been racing a few years and I was wondering what the IT community thought was ethical in buying a car from a long distance.
Hypothetical story:
I find a car for sale on the IT site that is 1700 miles away. I like everything about the car and have already contacted the seller and the builder of the car to get more info.I am pleased with what they have to say.Let's say the seller is asking 7k I make an offer for 6k over the phone. The seller says he'll think about and to call him back that night and he'll let me know.I try to call him back and only get his voice mail. I leave a message. Next day, same thing. On the third day I finally get a hold of him and he says 6k is too low but he will take 6300. I say fine ,I'll buy it. He says ok. I say we have to figure out delivery. He tells me he is having a new car built and it is halfway between where we live. we discuss how that would work for both of us. He says he will email the builder of the new car to get an exact date and he will call me tomorrow.I hang up excited I have made a deal on a car that I want.Next day,no call,so I try to call, only voice mail.This goes on for 4 days. Then I email the builder of the car I thought I was buying looking for another contact number. He emails me back and says"guessing you didn't send a deposit, the car is already sold".I'm 1700 miles away, the seller didn't ask for a deposit during our conversation(I expected we would discuss that when he called back about specific delivery dates), and even if he did ask and I did send a deposit the following day it would have taken 3 or 4 days to get there. Meanwhile, I'm telling everyone I made a deal on a good car when really I'm getting shafted.
What do you guys think????

greendot
06-05-2004, 10:30 PM
For a hypothetical story, you've got a lot of details. Seems like you are right about the shaft.

apr67
06-06-2004, 12:15 AM
When I buy something I am always in a hurry to exchange a deposit. Especially if it is a good deal.

But, if you don't use something like paypal (ok) or an escrow service (much better) you are taking a risk that may be unacceptable.

gran racing
06-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Things often happen for a reason. Might be hard right now to look at it that way, but give it a few months.

My prelude was stolen and I when I found out how much insurance money we were getting, I was really psyched! Found a nice older integra that was set-up for racing and was a great deal. The brother of the owner was selling the car - the owner was over seas in the army for the next 4 years. Then I got that darn call from the police. The car was recovered. Great. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif But they did strip some of the interior (damaged back seats, speakers, stereo, scratched body of car) so I did get some insurance money.

Slowly built the car for SCCA. Learned a ton! Used the car for HPDEs for 2 years, raced in SCCA last year (this year too). Unfortunately it is very uncompetitive in its class, but now the car may be moving to a lower class where it could be competitive. All and all things worked out perfectly. Oh, the other integra would still be in a class where it is not competitve (older gen.).

Basically the point of this is that I was really devistated when things didn't work out like I hoped. But in the long run everything really worked out.

Hopefully you'll find a much better car soon. Good luck!

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

steve s
06-07-2004, 07:51 PM
hypothetically the car was on ebay and you did not bid on it if you were serious wouldn't you have bid on it??the car owner had to sell to the ebay bidder.
again sorry for the mix up.

------------------
steve saney
it-7 /it-a #34

ITS5GB
06-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Hypothetically, it just doesn't matter any more.Check your email.