PDA

View Full Version : LSDs - thoughts of before and after instal

gran racing
05-26-2004, 06:43 PM
It certainly seems that the front running FWD cars have a LSD of one type or another. Right now my car does not have one, but it is something I am strongly thinking about getting. Originally I somewhat discounted it because my car doesn't really have much power (110 at the crank stock), but I guess I really didn't (and probably still) understand the purpose of a LSD.

I spoke with a very good ITC driver who installed one not too long ago. He mentioned that at first, he actually gained about 2 seconds per lap. Guess it takes some time getting used to?

How does your driving style need to change with the addition of a LSD. The one I am looking at is a OPM clutch type. I am not interested in the Phantom Grip nor welding it. The quaife is not avail. unless I get 30 orders together (yeah right!). None the less, I still like what I have learned and heard about the OPM unit.

I'm also really curious how much, assuming it will, reduce lap times. (The track I race at most often is lime rock park in CT.)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

joeg
05-27-2004, 08:20 AM
Dave--Your lap times will improve and driving it is not "radically" different than an "open" diff.

Actually, you may notice that turn in will be more crisp and actually require less steering input in long fast turns.

I cannot say the same about a welded diff.

Tom Blaney
05-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Dave:

I think you will find that you will be able to turnin to the corner a little later and will have a much faster exit speed. AT LR, turn 9 will be quite different and you will want to use as much outside edge as you can. The LSD will let you carry more speed if you use a gentle throttle early out. The first few times you use the LSD you will think the car is hooking in to the corner, but atually it is just getting better grip. The OMP diff is a little nochy, but since you haven't driven a quaife it won't be noticable.

As I told you before smooth is fast, and it applies more so now.

Have fun
Tom