PDA

View Full Version : looking for a Hit car

stefand1234
05-23-2004, 04:58 PM
im looking for a hit bmw or porsche anyone know where i can get one by the way im looking for a hit IT car

Mike Guenther
05-24-2004, 09:09 AM
When you say "hit", do you mean a car that has been hit by something? Or do you want a car with great big bumpers so that you can go out and do some hitting?

RR
05-24-2004, 12:33 PM
When building a race car it would be better to buy a flood car instead. The law states any car that stands in water up to the axels is totalled. Usually these cars have wet carpets etc etc, which you'll will be pulling out anyway. Salvage auctions are everywhere, need to find someone that goes and pay him a fee to pick one up for you. 944's will be hard to find, BMW 325 are dime a dozen. Good luck and remember, its always easier and cheaper to buy a race car than to build, find an older gentlemen that has cruising around the track for a few years..they're out there.

joeg
05-24-2004, 02:17 PM
I'd buy a flood car for production racing more so than IT because of electrical issues.

Also, I have bodywork experience fixing "totals", so that maybe turning me in the "hit" direction.

Obviously the best may be a
"stolen/ recovered" and neatly stripped of useless bits (like seats and carpeting)

RR
05-24-2004, 03:18 PM
The wiring thing isn't such a big deal since most computers are in the dash, but yes do watch this issue. Recovered theft is another option, but stolen cars can have the crap driven out them. One thing, most "salvage" cars seem cheap at first, but they're really not as discounted as them seem. Remember when you build a race car all of the suspension is being replaced. If you have the money the engine is being rebuilt too. So finding a BMW with 140K miles and blown ac compressor and few other issues can really be a bargaining chip in your favor, maybe cost you $3500. As opposed to your newer smashed Beamer that needs major reconstuctive surgery $$$$$$$$$$ Think about it.

David Ferguson
05-24-2004, 07:44 PM
When buying a salvage car, try to find one that has been hit in the rear. The junkyards are full of cars that have been hit in the front, so there are lots of cheap rear-end parts available.

[This message has been edited by David Ferguson (edited May 24, 2004).]