PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Repair

planet6racing
05-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Anyone ever do this on their own? I cracked the windshield last night while trying to put the dash back together and, while the initial crack site is less than the size of a quarter, a crack that extends about 1.5" from said site is present. Every glass person that I have talked to has said "No, can't fix. Must Replace. Please shell out $450."

Seeing as how I'm already over budget for the off season, I really don't want to just replace it. I'm thinking a good diamond dremel bit and the highest speed and I might just be able to arrest the crack, then inject some adhesive just like they would normally do. Anyone ever tried anything like this? Have any other suggestions?

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

tdw6974
05-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Bill, Call your friendly Auto insurance agent and ask Him what company they use for glass repair. They can usually do a good job of repair so it doesn't spread. we had a pretty big "Bullseye" with some spider cracks leading off had it done 2 years ago and its been fine. Because of the size it is noticeable but it sure beats replaceing the windsheild.

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi haulin' Rotary"

RSTPerformance
05-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Find a friend that can replace the windshield http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif Windows cost only $150.00 or so for most cars (I think). Someone could probably teach you how to do it if you find that you break them all the time. Also ask for a discount and you will put their name on the car... Glass companies seem to be willing to do this (my experience anyway) because of the huge markups generally applied in the glass business.

Raymond

gsbaker
05-07-2004, 06:23 PM
Bill,

There is some gunk you can use to repair minor damage (don't know the brand names). Whether it will halt a propogating crack is another issue.

Didn't notice it on my car, did you. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Gregg

Mattberg
05-08-2004, 06:09 AM
Bill,

Many times it's a pain in the ass job just getting the old one out ( I went through a lot of piano wire on a certain red Acura :-))let alone the time, effort and materials involved in getting a new one and installing it. I'd call around for some quotes from the mobile installers. I Just replaced one in a 97 240SX and used a guy out of the yellow pages. He came to the house with the new windshield and had it done in half an hour for a total bill of $217.00.

joeg
05-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Bill--It is not a bad skill to acquire.

However, REMOVAL is the tough part. Piano wire, face shield and heavy gloves (on two people) is required if this is your first attempt. You will break it and it will be messy.

However, the rplacement glass and a tube of urethane (or a roll of BUTYL) is inexpensive on a "cash & Carry " basis.

I have learned to do it by myself because windshields get broken frequently in racing.

Good luck.

PS--If you butyl the replacement, it is real easy to remove it next time (but butyl may not be OEM)

bldn10
05-08-2004, 10:45 AM
FWIW there is nothing in the GCR about cracked windshields.

JLawton
05-09-2004, 08:01 AM
I got a few words of advice from a body guy and was able to replace my windshield myself. They make a special tool that has an "L" shaped blade with a handle for pulling. I was able to get the old one out with only a couple of minor cracks (could be reused in a pinch!!) Go VERY slow, take your time and resist the urge to pry.

I got the new one in by myself, only one small leak but got black urethane over EVERYTHING. It is a PITA to clean up.

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

Jake
05-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Try the yahoo yellowpages and call around. One place quoted my $385 to do my MR2 windshiled, but several others gave be quotes of $165-$185 including coming out to my car. For the extra $30 have a professional do it.

planet6racing
05-10-2004, 09:57 AM
The $450 was the best price, unfortunately. Saturn liked to use compound curves in all their glass (the rear window costs $1100 to replace!).

Well, I borrowed a set of diamond bits yesterday and will attempt to drill the windshield later today. If that works without spreading the crack, I'll try to fill it all with some resin. Ultimately, it will get replaced, but I'd like to make it the rest of the season on this one, else it will cost me a race.

As for the GCR not saying anything about cracks, well, if the crack propagates completely through the windshield (i.e. from the hood to the roof), I really don't care what the GCR says. The glass will have been fully compromised and I'm worth more than the $450... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

BUMPnGO
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
I agree...nothing worst then tooling around at high speeds wondering when the crack will grow..I was loading my car for a race last year and dropped the toolbox on the corner of the windshield after tripping down the driveway..had new one installed that morning for 210.00 on my CRX Si (mobile-Triumph Glass)..wonder if those Hoosiers will run ONE MORE race!!..They did..but don't you just love the that stuff that cost you money that you never factor in to a race weekend?

gsbaker
05-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Now would probably be a bad time to comment on the benefits of a purpose-built race car, e.g. SRF (a.k.a. Spec Wrecker Ford) or FM.

Windshield? We don't need no stinkin' windshield.

Gregg

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited May 12, 2004).]

planet6racing
05-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Gregg, I thought about that. Even thought about it when I drilled the hole into the gas tank over the winter. But, I'd need to sell the saturn to afford that and I'm just not quite ready to do that yet....

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

B Glover
05-14-2004, 12:01 PM
I've owned an auto glass shop for over 10 years so I'll give you a "professional opinion".

1: All Saturn windshields are expensive because they have never released their window molds to aftermarket glass makers. Saturn glass is ONLY available thru Saturn dealers. A typical dealer price is $375.00 to $425.00 retail for the glass only.

2: The older Saturn SCs and SLs are about the most difficult windshields to remove because of the huge curves on the lower corners. All installers dread them.

3: Beacuse the windshield is "encapsulated", meaning it's got a rubberized border around the edge, it may not be repairable by normal crack repair methods which require a small suction cup be placed over the crack. Most auto glass shops will refuse to even attempt such a repair.

My best advise would be to get a used windshield from a junk yard and hire an auto glass company to install it. The whole process may cost you $150.00 to $200.00 but, with a Saturn, you won't do much better. If you are inexperienced and try to do the installation yourself, chances are you'll break the glass. Most auto glass shops won't warranty installation of used glass but an experienced installer rarely breaks one.

planet6racing
05-14-2004, 12:13 PM
The installation is the least of my worries. Getting a used piece of glass out is the trouble spot.

Hopefully the glass people will come today and tell me what they can do. I have a used piece of glass in my basement (saved from another car), but it is still in its frame as we just cut the metal around it...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

B Glover
05-17-2004, 09:33 AM
The installer will most likely either break the windshield trying to get it out or refuse the job completely. Installers specialize in installations, not removing windshields without breaking them. Junk yards specialize in removing windshields without breaking them. Trust me, you'll save alot of aggravation by taking my advise.

planet6racing
05-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Well, I bought one of the Bullseye kits, figuring I only had $11 to lose. It looks like it stopped the crack, as I was able to take the car off the jackstands without it growing further. Now, if everything else would just get fixed, I'd be a happy man.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing