PDA

View Full Version : Name/Bloodtype/Allergy patches??

Silkworm
04-30-2004, 02:53 AM
Hey guys,

Anyone know of a company that can make single patches with your Name/blood type/allergies? All the custom patch makers are 100pc minimum orders that I found.

PaulC

67ITB
04-30-2004, 05:18 AM
PaulC,

Give this place a try. They should be able to do it.
They are cheap and offer fast turn around. No minimum quantity either. may only be available in black, tan or OD Green

http://www.1800nametape.com/

Matt Bal

jc836
04-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Actually there is a custom embroidery shop near me. It is called CSDI-Creative Stitches by Dena. She is a charm to work with. Did my firesuit patches and stitched our shirts and jackets. It is not cheap if you have anything that is custom because the design must be digitized. That alone was the bulk of our expense. You can contact Dina at www.dinadenn.com (http://www.dinadenn.com) or 1-800-264-0370/724-863-4104.

------------------
Grandpa's toys-modded suspensions and a few other tweaks
'89 CRX Si-SCCA ITA #99
'99 Prelude=a sweet song
'03 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8-Patriot Blue gonna tow

ddewhurst
04-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Wife http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif The patch is cheap. It'the maintance that costs.

Karl Bocchieri
05-02-2004, 07:22 PM
As a medical professional, the blood type on a patch is worthless. There are so many rules and regulations involving giving someone blood, no one would administer blood on the basis of what a patch on your suit says. Not only that, there are many more things the blood bank looks for when thay cross-match blood for you than just ABO and Rh grouping.

PDoane
05-03-2004, 08:11 AM
I was amazed that the Wash DC region started to require a small Medical Form be put into a small plastic envelope stuck on your helmet (near the SCCA sticker) this year.

You used to (back in my FF days, 1980s) have to have medical basics (name, DOB, blood type, last tetanus shot) on the back of your helmet. I thought they gave that up because, as Karl says, no one would treat someone based on just that and because folks were trading/sharing helmets w/o changing the data.

Don't know why we have to learn the same lessons over-and-over again.

Peter

bill f
05-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Having written on this subject in another thread, I wanted to add to, and totally agree with Karl.

The rediculousness of the WDC request extends a bit farther. Let me explain:

In the worst-case-senario (Motor Vehicle Incident/pedistrian struck/assault)...a classification called "Major Trauma", on arrival to the Trauma Center, the evaluation of the injury(s) begins from scratch. All radiology studies/blood testing is done to see exactly "what is the patient condition at THIS PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME". Type and cross matching is done, as has been said before, with the blood of the patient drawn by that facility's staff at that moment in time at that facility. Here is the extra concept:

Tetanus is given where needed if no record of innoculation exists.

My point? Nothing at the Trauma Center is based on the existance of ANY information on the helmut...even the identification of the patient, ie. his name. If there is not photo ID, or visiual ID by a person known to the patient, he will be registered as "Jane/John Doe".

The only relevance the helmut has the patient is to indicate the forces that were applied to the head in the event.

Information on the helmut is only valuable, in reality, to the personnel at the track. Since blood testing/typing and tetanus (which can be givin anytime within 72 hours) are not done at trackside, it would seem that the concepts at WDC are truely superfluous, and wasteful of money and resources.

Here is a Valuable Concept: If anyone has a medical condition of GREAT importance, or medication allergy (Latex, for examble), it would behoove you to get a MedAlert necklace/bracelet and wear it. It will have great weight with Medical Professionals in this situation. Helmut information will not.

I have 18 years working at a Level One Trauma Center Emergency Room, and draw my conclusions from those experiences.

I'm always wondering what the clubs do with the money given to them for their event, and then come up with such lame rules of the game. They have greater access to resources than the common person in the street to answer the bigger questions.

Pardon the bad spelling...too tired to get the dictionary after working all night in the ER.

Good racing.

Bill Frieder R.N. BSN
Buffalo, New York

Silkworm
05-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Guys, thanks for the info, really I just wanted a name patch, I figured the extra info would be a good idea. If it's of no value to a medical person, that's fine too. Didn't mean to stir up any controversy.

Oh, and I hear ya about the wife part http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

PaulC

[This message has been edited by Silkworm (edited May 03, 2004).]

lateapex911
05-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by bill f:

Here is a Valuable Concept: If anyone has a medical condition of GREAT importance, or medication allergy (Latex, for examble), it would behoove you to get a MedAlert necklace/bracelet and wear it. It will have great weight with Medical Professionals in this situation.
Bill Frieder R.N. BSN
Buffalo, New York

Interesting... I know people are up in arms about the DC thing...

But...is there any time savings if blood type were on the bracelet? I surmise from your comments that that is not that case, the EMTs have no blood with them, and the typing is fast at the ER, and is done to ascertain current status, but it was just a thought...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

badal
05-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Another internet rumour spread by well-meaning but uninformed individuals.

The DC region tag does not ask for blood type.
It asks:
Name/address/phone
Emergency contact
Personal Physician
Medical history
Medications
Implants
Allergies
Organ Donor
Misc (tetanus)

Most regions ask for more than this, and keep it on a card that is not private, and will not necessarily be transported with you. The helmet or helmut if you prefer does make the trip.

Al Bell
DC Region Comp Committee

JohnRW
05-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by badal:
Another internet rumour spread by well-meaning but uninformed individuals.

Al - you're being polite. Some of the jabber on other sites isn't 'well-meaning' at all.

Bill & company - SCCA club racing insurance requires that medical information on each driver is available at each event. HIPAA obligations for information security place legal and financial risks on our Regions, and the DC Region approach is a clever way of assuring that the required medical information is available without the Region taking on the SIGNIFICANT legals risks .

I'll challenge anyone here to offer a different solution to Regions for dealing with the HIPAA issue. I'm sure somebody will immediately say "waiver", but those people haven't researched the legal issues involved.

HIPAA, as written, is a horrendous piece of public policy. Now we just have to live with it until somebody kills off a sufficiently large number of the tort bar.

But that's just my opinion.

Hahn63
05-04-2004, 01:38 PM
How is this pouch attached to the helmet? Without knowing how or what the pouch is ,I have this to say.The problem is that if you attach anything to the helmet other than a sticker or paint you have just voided the Snell rating, no? Isn't this what all the fuss was about on the neck restraints? I have no problem with putting the info on the helmet, I fully understand the problem HIPAA has created. I will use labels and put all the info on them ,when I come for the 12 hour, but I will most likely resist anything that will be glued or dangling be attached to my helmet.

JohnRW
05-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Hahn63:
How is this pouch attached to the helmet?

Double sided sticky tape.

I will use labels and put all the info on them ,when I come for the 12 hour, but I will most likely resist anything that will be glued or dangling be attached to my helmet.

Resistance is futile.

Hahn63
05-04-2004, 02:41 PM
I have consulted with Captain Jean Luc Picard, U.S.S. Enterprise-D. We will raise our shields(err…visors) and prepare to engage warp drive( umm….engage gear) and fight(race). http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif I think this requires some discussion over Romulan Ale! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif I'll buy! See you at the 12.

Roland
ITA 16

dickita15
05-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
HIPAA, as written, is a horrendous piece of public policy.

is there some irony that the folks who wrote this most likely live in the area of WDC region.
dick

gsbaker
05-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
HIPAA, as written, is a horrendous piece of public policy. Now we just have to live with it until somebody kills off a sufficiently large number of the tort bar.

We could always put the tort bar in race cars on extremely dangerous race tracks, then provide inadequate medical care as a consequence of insufficient health information resulting from concerns about HIPAA violations.

Poetic, eh?

Gregg

bill f
05-05-2004, 11:28 AM
JohnRW,

After my Regional meeting last night, I am able to say accurately that as a Licensed SCCA Registrar, WNYR SCCA has not recieved any notification of required Medical information in envelopes to be attached to helmets, or any other changes from the methodology used during the last season.

My question to you, or whom ever can answer it, is:
If we are dealing with "SCCA club racing insurance..." as you stated above, shouldn't the same standards be applied to other regions, as in "universal" since we are using the same insurance carrier? Are we in fact talking about a different carrier?

Anyone have an answer to this riddle?

Also...

To Jake:

To answer your question about blood type listed on a MedAlert Braclet...It is also NOT used as a reference in a Trauma setting for the same reason stated earlier. Specificially, a hospital will ONLY transfuse type-specific blood typed from the actual blood of the patient. When that is not available, Universal Donor blood us used, commonly referred to as "Un-crossed" blood.

There are many more classifications used in Cross Matching (different concept from Typing) blood before it can be used on a patient. Type only refers to the common ABO and Rh factors.

Good racing.

Bill

[This message has been edited by bill f (edited May 05, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by bill f (edited May 05, 2004).]

JohnRW
05-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Bill - what DC Region is doing isn't a requirement, it's just one of several solutions to the HIPAA problem. Insurance and GCR requirements for medical information haven't changed at all, it's just that the DC guys have a unique way of resolving the issue.

That solution wouldn't work at all tracks. For example, the track rental contract at the Glen stipulates that Race Medical hold a copy of each driver's medical form until the close of festivities each weekend. Regions racing there have to make sure that all medical information is safeguarded, then destroyed after the event.

dickita15
05-05-2004, 05:10 PM
John, thank you for the insight into why wdc took this action. I did not know this. I am curious if a member's signing of our current waivor would hinder someone filing suit on such a matter however.
dick

PDoane
05-10-2004, 04:19 PM
At least trying to deal with HIPAA makes more sense than re-doing the treatment mistake of before.

Thanks for the info.