PDA

View Full Version : What do vendors need to do to set up a both at SCCA regional

RSTPerformance
05-03-2004, 03:02 PM
While posting in another thread I realized I did not know if vendors could or couldn't just set up a both... What are the issues pertaining to vendors doing this.

We all see Hoosier at most SCCA events, do they pay someone (SCCA/Track) to set up??? (I know other vendors set up boths once in a while, but I figured Hoosier was the best example as they are at almoast every event)

I think that having vendors at the track is a HUGE benifit to drivers/crew/members and I would personally like to see it done more.

Raymond
RST Performance Racing

I have ideas, but need this info before I can start dreaming up more benifits!!!

lateapex911
05-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
I think that having vendors at the track is a HUGE benifit to drivers/crew/members and I would personally like to see it done more.

Of course it would be, but the math precludes it. Thnk about how many whatevers a guy has to sell to make it worth shlepping all the way to the track and sitting there all weekend. Not much sense in it for most of them.

We do see the Hoosier guy (Harry, who rumour has it has his business/rig up for sale for an attractive price, remember, thats a rumour), as well as the graphic guys at certain larger events. At the ARRCS we saw the metal fabricator who had more welders in his truck than the Lincoln rep, but he said he was slow, and questioned whether it was worht the trip...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

whenry
05-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Generally, the track controls who can "vend" at an event including where the booth will be and what can be sold. The price must be pretty high. There may be some instances where the region has a voice in the process ie ARRC but that seems to depend on the language or terms of the track rental.
Of course if we owned the track we would be looking for every profit opportunity too.

JohnRW
05-03-2004, 03:53 PM
Raymond -

The vendors have more issues with the track itself, than with SCCA (or whoever the sanctioning body is). Some tracks demand that any vendors have approval to "vend" at their track, and some even have a "licensing fee" that the vendors must pay.

Most regular vendors just show up for race weekends, without prompting from the sponsoring Region. I've chaired Regionals and Nat'ls, and made some calls to vendors about their availability. They always say "oh yeah...we'll be there...you don't need to invite us !"

dave parker
05-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Always call ahead and check with the track in question for a vending policy. Some tracks have permanent on site vendors and do not allow other vendors to come into the facility. Others may allow vendors to come and vend for a fee.Still other tracks are perfectly happy to have any and all vendors come. It is embarassing and expensive to travel to a track and find that you are not allowed to vend whatever product you brought with you.
Just my two cents.
Dave Parker
wdcr itc#97

dickita15
05-03-2004, 05:27 PM
yea it is track in new england as well. easier at nhis than lrp as lrp has store on site.
dick

Knestis
05-03-2004, 07:52 PM
I've always thought that some enterprising Snap-On dealer (or other tool guy) would start hanging at the race track but it would probably be a money-loser, compared to what they net on commercial routes on a typical weekday.

K

joeg
05-04-2004, 08:28 AM
K--I have had the same thoughts. Also, since Snap-on guys do not have routes on Sundays, why not show up at a track?

Could pick-up a few bucks on it.

Cheers.

lobster
05-04-2004, 10:11 AM
Hi all Tool guys have routes they run that they are allowed to operate in. Mike Dickerson came to a Regigional in Holtville years ago (Snap-on) but more to crew than to sell tools. I know that nobody had El Centro/Holtville on there route then. The tool companys are frown upon guys who operate outside there areas. Also have abuddy thats a Matco rep Glenn

RSTPerformance
05-04-2004, 11:53 PM
My extended thoughts were that the club invite businesses to the events IF the business offered some sort of benefit (sponsorship and/or discount) to SCCA members... This would be a benefit to club members in multiple ways... products at the track as well as discounts/deals. Maybe in exchange for those benefits we gave the business some free advertizing in the regional newsletters...

Raymond Blethen
RST Performance Racing

Knestis
05-05-2004, 08:30 AM
One of my favorite tracks used to be the temporary circuit at the Olympia, WA airport - and not just because it was the site of my only "real" road racing class win (ie. where I beat people on the track).

There were no concessions so this wiener wagon guy used to set up in the paddock. It got so that I really looked forward to a beer-cooked meat tube smothered in 'kraut first thing in the morning on a race day...

K

JohnRW
05-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Knestis:
It got so that I really looked forward to a beer-cooked meat tube smothered in 'kraut first thing in the morning on a race day...

K

(tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick... )

Edwin Robinson
05-05-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
(tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick...tick... )

Yeah- and taking a dump in a 5 gallon bucket.
;^P

lateapex911
05-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Edwin Robinson:
Yeah- and taking a dump in a 5 gallon bucket.
;^P

jeeeez! Did we have to go there!!?

In our small circles, a comment like that is called a "Miller"......

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]